• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX Rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Texas
    My son tried to go to Rustic Range outside Lubbock this afternoon and found a number of cars sitting at a gate that was closed. He at least had enough sense to call on his cell phone and the answering machine said they would be closed for the next month for rennovations.

The facility can definitely use some cleaning and fixing......So hopefully they will perform the needed work and open back up soon! This is the only public range in the area where you can shoot rifles and shotguns. Pricing is very reasonable and they have some firearms available as well as ammunition and supplies.
    DK Firearms

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Weird. I went out there the other day and didn't see any notice. I pray they expand a bit, but that might be wishful thinking.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Let's see, Lubbock, TX. Freezin' winters, boilin' summers. May is not the best month to close the range. Poor planning or self centered interests the way I see it. Not good for the shooting community.

Tech Gun Club

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Lubbock
    This is disastrous I tell ya! From what we've heard, Dub sold it and the new owners may be doing something with membership dues.

I'm fed up with it. We need a range less than 5 miles out of Lubbock with a 300 yard (or more) rifle, shotgun and handgun. This is one of my clubs major long term goals, I think it just got upgraded to a short term goal.

Anybody in?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Let's see, Lubbock, TX. Freezin' winters, boilin' summers. May is not the best month to close the range. Poor planning or self centered interests the way I see it. Not good for the shooting community.
    When dealing with banks and small business loans you do renovations on their schedule, not yours.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Winter is great in Lubbock. Summer is soooooo much better than DFW. I grew up out there and never knew there was a range in town. Who needs a range when there are caliche pits all over everywhere? So long as you clean up your mess nobody cares.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I didn't get the memo saying it's pile-it-on-Saturday

TI: The apparent change of ownership was revealed after my post - but I get your point

winchster: I've never lived in Lubbock, I'm mean I've been there and I was alive ... oh never mind, so I was simply going by weather reports.
    I'm not knocking Lubbock, hell someone has to live there or we'd have to change a bunch of maps

Next!!!

TX Rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Texas
    This is disastrous I tell ya! From what we've heard, Dub sold it and the new owners may be doing something with membership dues.

I'm fed up with it. We need a range less than 5 miles out of Lubbock with a 300 yard (or more) rifle, shotgun and handgun. This is one of my clubs major long term goals, I think it just got upgraded to a short term goal.

Anybody in?

If the Tech Gun Club does take on this project, I would think there would be good support. I'm glad that you are getting your existence out to the public and hope that you will be able to offer "Non Tech" memberships in the future. This club put on a great CHL class last weekend, which I was fortunate enough to attend. Great bunch of people!!

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas

Anybody in?

I really like Rustic, I do, but a large part of that is because of their pricing. I hope it doesn't get too hefty because I can for sure tell you I won't be shooting there if it does.

TX Rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Texas
    I really like Rustic, I do, but a large part of that is because of their pricing. I hope it doesn't get too hefty because I can for sure tell you I won't be shooting there if it does.

I agree......I like shooting out there and really don't mind the drive. Hope that whatever they do they keep the prices reasonable......We have too few choices in the Lubbock area for gun ranges!

Tech Gun Club

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Lubbock
    If the Tech Gun Club does take on this project, I would think there would be good support. I'm glad that you are getting your existence out to the public and hope that you will be able to offer "Non Tech" memberships in the future. This club put on a great CHL class last weekend, which I was fortunate enough to attend. Great bunch of people!!

Thanks for the kind words. We have to get some land, then somebody to donate usage of dozers and other heavy equipment... then we could start shooting while making improvements here and there.

Wombat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Lubbock
    We've been wondering if maybe the shutdown at Rustic was perhaps due to the heavy storms that passed through Sunday night. (4/29) Golf-ball to softball sized hail, possible tornadoes, etc. Our CHL instructor had called the day before to schedule qualification time for our class on the 6th, and we arrived to discover that they were closed. No prior notice during the preceding week, nothing. Disappointing, to say the least.

THE Wombat, now having to wait to do the qual for his CHL. :(

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Being a native of Lubbock [Monteray grad in '66 - moved to Dallas in 1974], I must ask what are they using as a back stop. The terrain around Lubbock is so flat that a bullet could travel a great distance before coming to ground. My brother still lives in Lubbock, so I may have to try this range out on my next visit.

TxRaider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Lubbock
    I was shocked to hear the news about Rustic last week, too. That brings the number of public ranges in Lubbock to exactly ONE. I confirmed that Rustic was sold, but I do not know whether the new owner is going to re-open it as a range, or use it for something else. Guess we will have to wait and see. Tech: I am right on with you! I would love to see even a private club range with 300 yard lanes, lights for nighttime shooting, and a large park area with benches, grills, and trees for family picnics. I think it would go over very well. Just a cause waiting for someone to organize.

TX Rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Texas
    Being a native of Lubbock [Monteray grad in '66 - moved to Dallas in 1974], I must ask what are they using as a back stop. The terrain around Lubbock is so flat that a bullet could travel a great distance before coming to ground. My brother still lives in Lubbock, so I may have to try this range out on my next visit.

You do not have to go too far out of Lubbock to the South to start running into the canyons of the caprock. The range sits in a small canyon with dirt burms for backstops at the pistol range and some natural hills in other areas.

R&W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Lubbock
    My son tried to go to Rustic Range outside Lubbock this afternoon and found a number of cars sitting at a gate that was closed. He at least had enough sense to call on his cell phone and the answering machine said they would be closed for the next month for rennovations.

The facility can definitely use some cleaning and fixing......So hopefully they will perform the needed work and open back up soon! This is the only public range in the area where you can shoot rifles and shotguns. Pricing is very reasonable and they have some firearms available as well as ammunition and supplies.[/

R&W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Lubbock
    I spoke to the new owner on Sunday May 6th he told me he was not going to open it again to the public. He will be using it for competitions in the near future. So sad now the public doesn't have an out side place to go.

Top Bottom