Join TexasGunTalk

Looking to build two home defense specific shotguns and can't decide...

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Texas Heat, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Does it have to be a shotgun? If age and gender are a consideration, it seems that a shotgun might not be the right choice. I suggest something along the lines of a pistol caliber carbine. Or even better a pistol caliber pistol with a brace, like the new Ruger PC charger. Put a red dot on it and you have a light weight, high capacity, low recoil home defense gun that everyone can use. And it's threaded for a suppressor. And it takes Glock mags. :)

Axxe55 likes this.
  2. Jigo23

Jigo23 Member

Jun 3, 2015
    A Remington 870 pump 12ga is an excellent place to start. Very good and reliable shotgun right out of the box and lots and lots of aftermarket accessories available that won’t break the bank and give you whatever you want in a home defense shotgun.
    8176142dd45f103f2a24eef9b4116a0c.jpg

satx78247 and Spcwolf like this.
  3. perfor8

perfor8 God, guns, and guts Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Kemah
    This, X 10. Click 'em off "safe" and put the red dot on the bad guy. Mas o menos 29 shots before reload necessary, which won't happen, given the OP's reference to other shooter's "age and gender", which aren't actual factors, but in context I suspect OP meant "inexperienced shooters".

No 12 guage is appropriate for your situation, especially the 2 you're looking at. You let a new shooter fire that shockwave and they'll likely fear guns for life.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Spcwolf, SQLGeek, zackmars and 3 others like this.
  4. Texas Heat

Texas Heat Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Dammit...now I'm building two shotguns and buying a PC Charger. I guess I can build one and get the Charger.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Bozz10mm likes this.
  5. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Spend the money on a good AR15.

Better ballistics and less penetration than your other options, easier to use, and more options.

6. Texas Heat

Texas Heat Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I'm not ignoring the AR comments. There are just enough AR15s around here that everybody in the house can shoot. I love them as tools but don't feel the need to buy another. A short shotgun with a brace that shoots minishells is not currently in my arsenal and I feel it needs to be :)

Spcwolf and Big Green like this.
  7. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Then buy one as a toy, and let your family use the best avalible option.

Everyone wins!

Spcwolf and SQLGeek like this.
  8. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    TexasHeat,

IF your lady is as PETITE as mine is (60" & 80#) get her a Remington Model 7615 in 5.56NATO, rather than a shotgun. - At household ranges, she can learn to handle the little pump carbine in an hour of training.
    (My lady was DOING FINE to 100M plus, in less than that.)

REMEMBER: Household range is measured in FEET & INCHES rather than in hundreds of yards/meters, i.e., NOT much "shot spread" at that range. = Given a 5.56NATO carbine & 10 rounds of JHP, she will do FINE, imVho.

yours, satx

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Axxe55 likes this.
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    East Texas
    My personal reasons for the shotgun. Many times they are very simple to operate, and don't require the same precision in aiming to hit the intended recipient. Much easier to learn to shoot versus other weapons platforms.

Even a bit that's not center mass, just hitting an extremity, can still cause massive amounts of damage.

Sometimes people might think that they can't handle the recoil from a 12ga, might consider a 20ga instead. At the distances inside the home, they are going to be very close.

Whatever weapon a person chooses, they need to take into account their specific and individual needs. But IMO the shotgun is a very versatile weapon for home defensive purposes.

satx78247 likes this.
  10. Petetothemax

Petetothemax New Member

Sunday
    Austin, TX
    I would not get an AR. That bullet will travel through walls and into neighboring houses, most likely. And, there will most likely be a lot of them fired in a panic situation. I would get a 12GA and train everyone. If they can't shoot it they shouldn't be considered for it.