Join TexasGunTalk

Looking to build two home defense specific shotguns and can't decide...

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Texas Heat, Mar 20, 2020.

1. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

No doubt. Myself I prefer mopping up & using some bleach in the final mopping.

satx78247 and Axxe55 like this.
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Exactly.

These are some things that I think some people don't consider when accepting the burden of self defense, or defending their loved ones.

But it's part of the responsibility that goes with it. The aftermath of that possible deadly use of force, isn't given as much thought or consideration as they do in choosing the firearm for that purpose.

3. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

JFC that is terrible advice

No, 7.5 shot will not reliably incapacitate an attacker, and can not be counted to be non lethal.

There are too many variables to say if 7.5 will stop a threat, or will be lethal.

TheMailMan likes this.
  4. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    I prefer reliable semi autos over manual actions for defense. If you want a shotgun for a petit person, look at the CZ 720 Reduced Length 20 gauge:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...reduced-length-g2-semi-auto-shotgun/p/1477224

I owned one until a friend talked me out of it for his missus (4’10”). She loves it. 4+1 capacity.

Just a thought. I’d personally much prefer it to a Shockwave

Axxe55 likes this.
  5. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

I'd be more concerned about hitting a gas pipe, water line or electric with either. My AR pistol is actually smaller & lighter then my Benelli entry gun. For in the house the AR pistol has 20 rounds of IMG_4092.JPG
    I doubt these will get much farther then the sheetrock. A double tap to the torso & they are going to dump all their energy. No exit & less blood to mop up. I also believe the hydrostatic shock on a human will put them down.

Axxe55 and zackmars like this.
  6. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Testing defensive loads repeatedly shows this to be untrue.

Links to many tests can be found in this article (as well as google):

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/0...for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55 likes this.
  7. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CyberWolf likes this.
  8. Ioannes

Ioannes Member

Oct 12, 2019
    US
    I have a 590A1 in 12ga that Mrs. Ioannes has shot at the range, being 5'7 and 135. She hated it with a passion. Minishells worked better for her as did installing a Hogue buttstock, which reduced the LOP to something she could manage. Only problem is I haven't trained her yet how to rack the pump so as not to short cycle it.

If it came down to having to use force, she'd rather fire my 10mm pistol, which she's not scared of.

Maybe try a Persuader in 12ga with minishells? I've seen little girls shoot those with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

9. Axxe55

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    You might also check out a youths 20ga. LOP would be shorter for someone of shorter stature.

Plus the advantage of reduced recoil, and with the proper shells, just as effective at closer ranges inside the house.

Charlie and satx78247 like this.
  10. Axxe55

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    If the semi auto is reliable, I have to think it's a viable option for home defense.

And there are quite a few even offered in 20ga. as well, if the person is of smaller stature, or recoil sensitive.