• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    This is where you buy your stuff in the USA. 100%, Tyler is the best, and willing to answer ALL your questions on social media. They're probably one of the biggest in the states, and have an unreal selection.
    There are also a couple airgun shops in the San Antonio and Austin area.

I like being able to put hands on before spending the kind of bucks that I have spent on my PCPs
    Lynx Defense

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    Got any recommendations for an air gun for someone who knows nothing about them?
    Sure!

Either a Crosman/ Benjamin Marauder Pistol or a Crosman/Benjamin American 17xx with the carbine stock.

The first is a PCP, and you'll need to buy a ~100 dollar hand pump.

The second is a hand-pumped single shot.

Both are lots of bang for the buck, accurate enough and get you into things.

The Lothar Walther barrels available via the Crosman custom shop or various third parties are worth every penny.

Be prepared to get an optic with a VERY low minimum parall!x setting --- while long range air gunning is a thing, airguns still shine best when hitting very small targets inside 50 yards.

The UTC Bugbuster is likely the best very cheap option, but there are others.

Get good pellets. JSBs are the default choice, but I've also had very good luck with Crosman domes and hollow points, which are cheap.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I found the Hawke Airmax to be my best airgun scope. Not cheap. The Bugbuster was compact but not the best optics. Cheaper as noted. I still use it though. Pyramyd Air has good deals on pellets. buy 3 get the 4th one free.

I have several Crosmans. 1322 pumpers and the CO2 guns, heavily customized. You can go crazy with these. I don't do HPA guns but alot of folks swear by/at them. Certainly the topend shooters. Also NOT CHEAP as they require serious support eqpt for recharge and way too few shots per charge JMHO...

OK... if I was gonna go HPA/PCP then AIRFORCE. $$$$$

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I found the Hawke Airmax to be my best airgun scope. Not cheap. The Bugbuster was compact but not the best optics. Cheaper as noted. I still use it though. Pyramyd Air has good deals on pellets. buy 3 get the 4th one free.

I have several Crosmans. 1322 pumpers and the CO2 guns, heavily customized. You can go crazy with these. I don't do HPA guns but alot of folks swear by/at them. Certainly the topend shooters. Also NOT CHEAP as they require serious support eqpt for recharge and way too few shots per charge JMHO...

OK... if I was gonna go HPA/PCP then AIRFORCE. $$$$$

Not necesarily.
    My Airforce Talon P doesn't have a high shot count, but it is also unregulated.
    On the other hand, my RTI is regulated. My current tune gives me 100 shots with 25.39 grain pellets at 970 fps.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Just curious as to what people use these for. Enjoyment of quiet shooting? Taking out squirrels without waking the neighbors?

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Just curious as to what people use these for. Enjoyment of quiet shooting? Taking out squirrels without waking the neighbors?
    This one.......
    IMG_2087.jpg

I got to quietly dispatch the late night chicken coup raiders. Racoons, Opossum, etc. It is also a fun. gun for target.

This one..........
    RTI_Prophet.jpg

I use primarily for benchrest target, but it is also quite capable of taking small game, and it only takes a few minutes to switch from the .22 cal barrel to .25 or .30 caliber for larger critters. But I prefer the Airforce gun in the first image since it is shorter and lighter for manuvering through brush and such.

Last edited:

JLMcC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    This is where you buy your stuff in the USA. 100%, Tyler is the best, and willing to answer ALL your questions on social media. They're probably one of the biggest in the states, and have an unreal selection.
    I suppose that PENZON where you live and whether you like to shop locally. I like local when I can. Rudy, the owner of Alamo Airguns of San Antonio has built his shop over the last few years to the point he can safely, factually say,
    "WE ARE THE BIGGEST STORE IN TEXAS! NOBODY CAN BEAT OUR EXPERTISE IN SILENCED, PRECISION HUNTING WITH AIRGUNS"
    I know for a fact that Rudy takes care of his customers because I have been one for three years now. I have met other airgunners in Alamo Airguns that drove down from the DFW Metroplex for the selection and expertise Rudy has cultivated.

As the Mainstream Media likes to say on their PSAs: The More You Know

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I suppose that PENZON where you live and whether you like to shop locally. I like local when I can. Rudy, the owner of Alamo Airguns of San Antonio has built his shop over the last few years to the point he can safely, factually say,
    "WE ARE THE BIGGEST STORE IN TEXAS! NOBODY CAN BEAT OUR EXPERTISE IN SILENCED, PRECISION HUNTING WITH AIRGUNS"
    I know for a fact that Rudy takes care of his customers because I have been one for three years now. I have met other airgunners in Alamo Airguns that drove down from the DFW Metroplex for the selection and expertise Rudy has cultivated.

As the Mainstream Media likes to say on their PSAs: The More You Know
    He is very knowlegable and willing to answer any questions. He helped me out a lot in making my decision of what to buy.
    Plus, I felt much better about my purchases after actually being able to handle them first.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom