• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Agreed, we need to know what range you're looking for.
    And also agree that the .177 would not be a good choice.
    The air rifle industry is booming, easy to find a lot of bigger calibers these days.
    Also, are you asking for competition or leisure? Need a semi-automatic or single-shot pump style? Lots of questions here.
    Knowing your goals would help us help you.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    There are lots of 100-yard competitions out there usually involving steel targets,including a new match recently organized by texasfieldtarget dot com at the range in Boerne. If you google airgun nation, you'll find a forum dedicated to shooting beyond 100.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    Just a warning --- Airgunning at long ranges gets expensive, quick. PCPs are MUCH more complicated than bolt action rifles and the prices will make your eyes bleed.

Fun tho.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Same considerations as long distance with any rifle - velocity, precision, wind resistance (BC).

All diablo-shaped projectiles are unstable at transonic speeds. They are also not heavy enough to buck the wind. So, plan to use slugs in whatever caliber you choose, and use good slugs. Bigger tends to be better at bucking wind, but that's within limits. Big and imprecise won't get it done. Keep in mind that you're talking about flat-based projectiles, so things like G7 ballistics just don't apply. G1 all the way, with it's inherent limitations to better precision/accuracy, but shorter distances (like benchrest shooters use).

Precision requires consistent muzzle velocity and decent barrel rigidity. PCP is a must, but must also be properly regulated so that the compressed air burst is the same every time.

Velocity is served by longer barrels (given everything else being the same), but long barrels tend to have the same whip problems that you find in firearms. Quality of barrel and stiffness are factors. Consider better manufacturers who use custom barrels/components tuned for precision, or who use better third-party barrels.

Other precision considerations are much like precision firearms. Good trigger, good optics, etc.

Have fun!!

NorthBallistics

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2023
    Chilliwack, BC, CANADA
    Hey guys, I'm your resident Airgun expert.. :) I even own a $3500 airgun.

If you want long distance you need to buy PCP only, and I would go with an FX, Air Arms, Daystate if you want quality.

Like some previous people mentioned you'll want a bigger projectile, you can get up to .50 slugs or airguns now, so size is a choice.

I recommend .30 or .35 calibre if you want power and distance without like ridiculousness. My largest is .25 cal, and I'm doing dime size groups at 100 yards (no wind of course).

NorthBallistics

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2023
    Chilliwack, BC, CANADA
    Just a warning --- Airgunning at long ranges gets expensive, quick. PCPs are MUCH more complicated than bolt action rifles and the prices will make your eyes bleed.

Fun tho.
    fx-mdt-8017.jpg

$3500 in this picture, $4k if you include the scope.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Fun gun, ugly as hell, and really really huge. You can do much better than these if you like style as well.
    Airforce Airguns do not have to be ugly.
    IMG_2086.jpg

And they are pretty accurate too.
    IMG_2014.JPG

3 shot group at 85 yards.

I prefer my RTI Prophet Performance for long range shooting though.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    View attachment 405307
    $3500 in this picture, $4k if you include the scope.
    That gun was on my short list when I was shopping for a long range air rifle, and I probably will have one at some point, but for just getting into the higher end guns, I felt that the FX line was unnecessarily complex. soI went with an RTI Prophet Performance. Much simpler setup and like your FX dime size groups are very attainable at the 85 yards that my backyard range is limited to.
    IMG_2606.JPG

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Just for a semi-serious hobby. And maybe more as time goes by. I live outside of town {Kerrville} and would probably shoot fifty yards or so.
    When I got serious about the air gun hobby, I jumped into PCPs, but they are not for everyone. Mostly due to the support equipment needed and the fact that sooner or later leaks will have to be delt with.

Break barrel/springers are more straight forward, but if you intend to use a scope, it gets somwhat expensiver there too. Most inexpensive scopes can not handle the bidirectional recoil of a springer.
    I have had springers, and realy did not care for them, but thats just me.

The good news is that todays airgun market offeres a lot of options. Everything from lower power CO2 and pump air guns to the above mentioned springers and PCPs.

If you are at all interested in PCPs, Benjamin/Crosman have some nice entery level guns that can be hand pumped and have relly great warranty and support.
    There are also guns like the Air Venturi and Umarex lines that also have affordable PCPs.

Top Bottom