• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I rode for years. I let my license lapse. I took the safety course about 6 years ago to renew my motorcycle endorsement. 1.5 days and I learned a few things.
    Take the course before you buy a bike. It may help you better decide on size and configuration.
    Guns International

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I quit riding years ago when within 15 minutes I was almost run down by 2 non-attentive motorists. My wife was pregnant at the time and I didn't want her to be alone. Just this year my buddy and flight instructor was killed riding his Harley. A super intelligent and careful guy. I miss him so much.
    I loved riding a bike, just be aware of the risks. A minor fender bender is a lethal accident on a bike.

So sorry to hear about you buddy. I appreciate the word of warning/ caution. I do understand the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle versus a car. I was driving between Texas and Florida and was passed by a group of guys on bikes. Not even a mile down the road there was nothing but dust and brake lights and I saw one of the guys picking up a fallen/recked bike while other people were looking for the rider in the tree line. I will say this, the loss you fill for your friend will get easier to deal with over time. I can’t tell you exactly how much time. It’s different for everyone, but you will never forget him or the time you spent together. It’s been over 16 years since I lost my younger brother in Iraq. I still miss him, but time has made it easier to deal with it and move on. Thanks you again for your words of caution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Like others have said, take the class.
    I have multiple scars from several wrecks. Actually, quite a few wrecks. Three that could and should have killed me. If it didn't hurt so much to even sit on one, I would still ride. I miss it.
    No matter how good you get, they can and will hurt you. They may only bruise your ego. Or they may kill you. Not a question of if, but when and how bad.
    Get enough power to get out of trouble faster than you got in it.
    Learn to watch drivers heads, eyes in rear view mirrors and hands on steering wheels. They will tell you what they are thinking about doing.
    And get ready for the people that will smile, wave at you,,,,while they turn into you.
    I have had friends lose body parts. Including my oldest son's FIL. The best man was killed a week before my wedding.
    Dammit. Now I miss riding again. Thanks a lot.
    Oh, and have fun. It can be a blast.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you considered enduro riding? Join a Club (usually on a big piece of land they lease) get ya a dirt bike, some good gear and go ride some trails. It’ll get ya familiar with 2 wheels and being on a bike. Enduro riders are super good folks and always willing to take in new riders. They are usually very knowledgeable in other 2 wheel disciplines.

I wouldn’t step foot on another street bike. It’s just too dangerous and that’s how I don’t wanna go out. I’ve know too many excellent riders that have been taking out because off bad drivers.

If you do end up with a street bike, I gotta tell ya, one of my favorite memories of riding was when I had my wife on the back of my FXDL. We spent half a day just taking old county back roads doing about 30mph. I’d pull over and let her take pictures and then hop on and off we went. My favorite rides were always old backroads. Grayson county had some good ones too

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    One of my accidents was a guy rear ended me at some RR tracks. Catapulted me and the bike 30 feet past the tracks. If I had been wearing a helmet, it would have snapped my neck. Still bothers me once in a while after 40 years.
    Another was a head on. Kid ran a stop sign and turned into me and punched the gas. Residential street with vehicles parked on both sides and nowhere to go. I took out my gas tank, instruments and handlebars, and his front fender and headlight cowling with my chest and shoulders. Cracked my face shield when I took the helmet off and threw it because it hit nothing. 6 months later I was finally able to ride again some. Still hurt though. Never wore a helmet again.
    My best friend, Jay, was going to be my best man. Partied at the lake, going to fast and missed a curve. He ate a tree at over 60mph. A helmet would not have helped. That was the weekend before my wedding.
    Two kids wound up vegatables in high school wearing helmets. They kept them alive but scrambled their brains like eggs.
    My son's FIL was broadsided on his trike making a left turn. He had the green light, female driver texting and ran a red. Several months in a coma, had to learn how to walk, talk and eat again. After 7 years, he still ain't all there. But still would like to ride anyway. Always has a smile. Amazing man.
    Are there times a helmet helps? Absolutely!
    There are also times when they don't and some where they will kill you. They are absolutely NOT something magical that will automatically save you. And if it does, you may wish it had not.

I won't put anyone down for wearing a helmet. Or not. Research, learn the limitations of them. And make your own choice. Just make sure either way that it is one you are willing to live by. Or die by. Because you can both ways.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I'll also give you a heads-up and warning. Riding motorcycles can be just as addictive as shooting guns! People spend millions every year in modifying and accessorizing their bikes. And for many, just one bike isn't enough. There were times i had as many as four to six bikes that I would ride. And you don't need the most powerful fire-breathing bike to have a good time.

Some of my most fun bikes were my mid 1970's Honda CB550's.
    Don't listen to @Axxe55. He doesn't know what he is talking about
    IMG_20170618_184733.jpg

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    These are cheap and full of good info:

He explains a great deal of how to ride safely. And remember this: ATGATT, which stand for All The Gear All The Time. If you're going to get on a street bike, make sure you have all the protective gear because you'll need it. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. Because those people in cars will kill you if you let them.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    These are cheap and full of good info:

He explains a great deal of how to ride safely. And remember this: ATGATT, which stand for All The Gear All The Time. If you're going to get on a street bike, make sure you have all the protective gear because you'll need it. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. Because those people in cars will kill you if you let them.

Thanks for the link

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Quick question. How do you size a helmet? I’m going to start buying the gear soon and that’s when I realized I don’t know how to size a helmet. Would you recommend actual riding gloves or would mechanics gloves work just fine?

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    If you have a place like cycle gear close by, go try on a few helmets. If not, go by measuring. I've always tried before buying. Helmets don't all fit the same. I wear shoei because they fit well. Arai doesn't fit me well. Gloves....get riding gloves. They don't have to be Alpinestars.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Quick question. How do you size a helmet? I’m going to start buying the gear soon and that’s when I realized I don’t know how to size a helmet. Would you recommend actual riding gloves or would mechanics gloves work just fine?

Go to a motorcycle shop and try different helmets. It should slightly push on your face and be snug. In store will help a lot size wise though. They are all different.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Helmet sizes are based upon hat sizes. Leather riding gloves are best, but even the mechanics gloves are workable for riding. I have used them many times in the past myself.

Motorcycle-Helmet-Size-Chart.jpg

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016

Oh, and get FULL face! If not for my full face shoei, I wouldn't have a face, and I'm not kidding. Highside in 2012. First thing to land was my face. Still have the helmet and the only damage is to the top and the face.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If you have a place like cycle gear close by, go try on a few helmets. If not, go by measuring. I've always tried before buying. Helmets don't all fit the same. I wear shoei because they fit well. Arai doesn't fit me well. Gloves....get riding gloves. They don't have to be Alpinestars.

Go to a motorcycle shop and try different helmets. It should slightly push on your face and be snug. In store will help a lot size wise though. They are all different.
    The best is to shop in person for a helmet, and trying them on to find the best fitting. Different brands like shoes, can fit differently than another brand. Many times I ordered my helmets, but I knew the size and brand I needed, and what fit me. I could get a better price online.

Top Bottom