• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I wore leathers year round when riding. Yeah, it was hot and sweaty in the summer, but it sure beat road rash if you went down.
    I went down on asphalt once doing about 25 with a wife beater, swim trunks and flip flops on when I was 16. I didn't break anything, but I was bandaged up like a mummy from all the wounds. Sliding on bare skin down the road is really something you don't want to experience. Ruined most of my summer.
    DK Firearms

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I went down on asphalt once doing about 25 with a wife beater, swim trunks and flip flops on when I was 16. I didn't break anything, but I was bandaged up like a mummy from all the wounds. Sliding on bare skin down the road is really something you don't want to experience. Ruined most of my summer.
    Kid across the street when I was a teen dumped his bike and was wearing a tshirt. You could tell where the sleeves ended as he was somewhat protected from the road rash. I don't recommend a tshirt for protection, but some is better than none.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    During the summer months, when I see someone dressed like that, I just cringe. I'd rather break bones that get road rash! Even with wearing leathers I have gotten road rash.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    Most shops should offer a beginners riding course. I know Gruene Harley Davidson does in New Braunfels. There is a class at Rolling Oaks Mall. I dont know anything about it, I've just seen them out there.

I dont know much about sport bikes. I could never get comfortable on them. For cruisers look in the 750cc range. They are light enough to throw around and learn on. Buy an older bike. It won't hurt as much when you drop it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Most shops should offer a beginners riding course. I know Gruene Harley Davidson does in New Braunfels. There is a class at Rolling Oaks Mall. I dont know anything about it, I've just seen them out there.

I dont know much about sport bikes. I could never get comfortable on them. For cruisers look in the 750cc range. They are light enough to throw around and learn on. Buy an older bike. It won't hurt as much when you drop it.
    I'll have to disagree. a 750cc bike is bit much in size and power for a beginner to learn on. There are too many bikes in the 250cc to 500cc range that would be much better beginner bikes IMO.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'm confused.. you wanna start dirt biking? or street riding?

Technically I want to do both. But will most likely start out off road. They safety course would be to skip the driving part of the test to get my endorsement for when I do get a bike that I will drive on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    It’s something I wish I would have done much earlier in my life like other things in my life. But no time like the present.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It’s something I wish I would have done much earlier in my life like other things in my life. But no time like the present.

I enjoyed all the years when I rode motorcycles. I have owned more that a few over the years, ranging in type, brand and size. Some of the most fun I ever had was when I was racing amateur motocross.

But there was a lot of fun just riding the backroads on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with no particular destination in mind as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'll also give you a heads-up and warning. Riding motorcycles can be just as addictive as shooting guns! People spend millions every year in modifying and accessorizing their bikes. And for many, just one bike isn't enough. There were times i had as many as four to six bikes that I would ride. And you don't need the most powerful fire-breathing bike to have a good time.

Some of my most fun bikes were my mid 1970's Honda CB550's.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'll also give you a heads-up and warning. Riding motorcycles can be just as addictive as shooting guns! People spend millions every year in modifying and accessorizing their bikes. And for many, just one bike isn't enough. There were times i had as many as four to six bikes that I would ride. And you don't need the most powerful fire-breathing bike to have a good time.

Thanks for the warning. I know what you mean being addicted to guns. I have two AR’s I’m building right now and already thinking about more. This motorcycle thing may become another addiction

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx

Completely agree, I have 4 now and have been riding from age 7 on. Was always into sports bikes and dirt bikes. I bought a Harley a few years ago and love it for what It is.

I agree with the fact they are all different and enjoyable in their own way. Get what you are most comfortable on, not what you think others will like.

I also agree with you taking a course, watching out for the stupidity of others, having medical and life insurance. You’ve been givin a lot of good advice above.

I’ll add there is a big difference between street and dirt. Especially for street bikes coming from dirt bikes. Power is insanely different as is the steering. Be safe

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks for the warning. I know what you mean being addicted to guns. I have two AR’s I’m building right now and already thinking about more. This motorcycle thing may become another addiction

Yeah, I had 3 bikes when I quit riding after my last wreck.

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    I'll have to disagree. a 750cc bike is bit much in size and power for a beginner to learn on. There are too many bikes in the 250cc to 500cc range that would be much better beginner bikes IMO.
    depends on type of bike, power, etc. sport bike? agree 100%. cruiser? not so much. I took the MSF with zero experience on motorcycles; class was with Kawasaki 125cc cruisers - my first bike Honda 750 shadow (cruiser). I actually found the 750 more stable and more forgiving. 750 sportbike? not as a first bike. Not sure I'd get on one now :-)

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I quit riding years ago when within 15 minutes I was almost run down by 2 non-attentive motorists. My wife was pregnant at the time and I didn't want her to be alone. Just this year my buddy and flight instructor was killed riding his Harley. A super intelligent and careful guy. I miss him so much.
    I loved riding a bike, just be aware of the risks. A minor fender bender is a lethal accident on a bike.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Completely agree, I have 4 now and have been riding from age 7 on. Was always into sports bikes and dirt bikes. I bought a Harley a few years ago and love it for what It is.

I agree with the fact they are all different and enjoyable in their own way. Get what you are most comfortable on, not what you think others will like.

I also agree with you taking a course, watching out for the stupidity of others, having medical and life insurance. You’ve been givin a lot of good advice above.

I’ll add there is a big difference between street and dirt. Especially for street bikes coming from dirt bikes. Power is insanely different as is the steering. Be safe

I appreciate all the good advice. Never thought about the difference between street and dirt bikes until now. That’s one more thing to think about. For some reason ever since I got into bikes, I’ve been drawn to the Kawasaki Ninja. I tried 3 time in my past to get one from Alamo cyclplex and got turned down all three times. Then I drifted into sports cars for a while. Now I find myself watching YouTube videos about riding motorcycles. From group rides to how to ride videos. Looks like I may be adding bikes to my list of things I’ve done

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    I appreciate all the good advice. Never thought about the difference between street and dirt bikes until now. That’s one more thing to think about. For some reason ever since I got into bikes, I’ve been drawn to the Kawasaki Ninja. I tried 3 time in my past to get one from Alamo cyclplex and got turned down all three times. Then I drifted into sports cars for a while. Now I find myself watching YouTube videos about riding motorcycles. From group rides to how to ride videos. Looks like I may be adding bikes to my list of things I’ve done

No better feeling honestly, I’ve always been a Yamaha fan personally. Honestly they are all jap bikes so pretty much all the same. Cheap ass plastic, frame and motor.

I agree with buying a used 1 for a couple reasons. 1 as stated hurts a little (not much) but a little less when you drop it, not if you wreck but when. Hate to say that but it’s true. 2 you can typically get a lot of decent modifications for way less than doing it yourself. 3 when you develop the habit you wind up with 4 for the price of 1 new 1.

Worst part of all these awesome hobbies is typically when you get to a point you can afford it you have no time to enjoy it. However If you decide to get into it and are ever near Hutto or the Austin area 1 weekend, I’m always looking for a excuse to ride.

Top Bottom