• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    As the title states, I’ve decided that I want to actually learn to ride a motorcycle. I’ve had a whopping 3 hrs when I was about 17 riding a dirt bike off road. That’s my total experience. Now I want to actually learn all the ends and outs. I’m thinking about going through a safety rider course. Manly because I don’t have any friends with bikes. And even if I did I would be worried about damaging there bike. Just thought I would share this with you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    What kind of bike? Yes, riding fundamentals are the same, regardless of type. But, it matters. Definitely take a course. Work on low speed maneuvering in a flat parking lot. If you're going the sport bike route, a 600 is all you'll really ever need. Head on a swivel! Drivers have never been more dangerous than they are these days. Trust no one. When you enter an intersection, slow down and watch EVERYONE. Have fun.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    What kind of bike? Yes, riding fundamentals are the same, regardless of type. But, it matters. Definitely take a course. Work on low speed maneuvering in a flat parking lot. If you're going the sport bike route, a 600 is all you'll really ever need. Head on a swivel! Drivers have never been more dangerous than they are these days. Trust no one. When you enter an intersection, slow down and watch EVERYONE. Have fun.

I’m leaning towards sports bike. But not I’m not opposed to a cruiser

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    OP didn’t mention if the goal is to ride on the road, or just on the dirt. If Road, then paid instruction will provide a bike as well as the test for license. I don’t know your budget or where you are located or bike interests but some of the Harley dealers in Houston offer free courses if you buy a bike. Some of those same HD dealers also sell metric bikes so you aren’t locked in to Harley. Might check some of the dealers (if your budget allows) and see if they offer complementary courses.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    OP didn’t mention if the goal is to ride on the road, or just on the dirt. If Road, then paid instruction will provide a bike as well as the test for license. I don’t know your budget or where you are located or bike interests but some of the Harley dealers in Houston offer free courses if you buy a bike. Some of those same HD dealers also sell metric bikes so you aren’t locked in to Harley. Might check some of the dealers (if your budget allows) and see if they offer complementary courses.

Your right I forgot to mention my goal. I may ride on the road. Most likely will stick to dirt for now. But why limit my options

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Good advice above. The MSF course was a great thing when I took it decades ago, I hope it still is. They put us on small dual-sport bikes, and there was a lot of slow-speed maneuvering around in a parking lot. If you drop a dual-sport, it's easy to pick up and you don't have $1200 in repairs. Pushing the limits of the tightest turn a bike can make teaches you important feedback from the tires that will keep you safer if you pay attention to it when riding.

Speaking of dual-sports, they are great bikes to buy in general. A KLR650 will take you around the world (srsly) and a brand-new one can be had for 8k. All the accessories you need for camping or commuting, and it will do moderate off-roading with no complaints. If you want to lean more into dirt riding, it may or may not the best choice, that tends to fluctuate over the decades, but you can read up on which brand/model of the current crop of dual-sports is best suited to dirt.

If you only want to ride in the dirt, then that's a different story. It becomes a question of what type of dirt riding you want to do, and then you can get a bike as deeply specialized as you want, or get a generalist if you just want to skim the surface on different types of dirt riding. Again, the mags will have the latest-greatest for you.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    As the title states, I’ve decided that I want to actually learn to ride a motorcycle. I’ve had a whopping 3 hrs when I was about 17 riding a dirt bike off road. That’s my total experience. Now I want to actually learn all the ends and outs. I’m thinking about going through a safety rider course. Manly because I don’t have any friends with bikes. And even if I did I would be worried about damaging there bike. Just thought I would share this with you all

That is a great idea!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Taking the motorcycle saftey course is a requirement to get a class M license. It counts towards the riding part of your license. I would get a little dirtbike to practice on. Get familiar with the clutch and shifting gears before jumping on a street bike. Plus you can dump it without much or any damage. And yes you will drop a bike. It's just going to happen.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Take a MSF basic rider course. They are relatively inexpensive and give you a good base of knowledge to build onto. They are usually a Friday- Sunday course with class time and time on the bike. Well worth the cost imo.
    This. I took it after riding street for years. I thought I knew all the basics, but learned a LOT.
    Ironically , had my first real accident just a couple of weeks after passing the class.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Taking the motorcycle saftey course is a requirement to get a class M license. It counts towards the riding part of your license. I would get a little dirtbike to practice on. Get familiar with the clutch and shifting gears before jumping on a street bike. Plus you can't dump it without much or any damage. And yes you will drop a bike. It's just going to happen.
    I learned to ride on an old wore out Yamaha dirt bike in a cow pasture! Dirt and grass are much more forgiving than pavement when you dump or drop the bike!

Top Bottom