• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You missed my point....input from an LEO will often give you better insight as to where that "line" is that goes from "maybe jail" to "enjoy the ride". Subjective, to be sure - but sometimes those subjective opinions can be helpful.

The line is a tool of the trade. It has no definitive position. The difference of going to jail vs not, as much as we think it shouldn't, could be the officers mood at the time of the stop.

Helpful as in knowing what officer X does over what officer Y does. But unless you encounter X or Y. Its not helpful. A city you are stopped in, might subscribe to the, "Broken windows Theory". And another town, your stopped in, might not. It will be two distinctive ways of how they apply the law. So to ask the officer where the line is in the first city, will be different then the line in the second.
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I think you may be looking for the word "insight".
    Not trying to be an ass, but the two words mean completely different things.

LOL, OK OK you got me.... i suck at spelling. Even my girlfriend says so. I butcher the hell out of texts.... But you know what I mean and that the important part.

I offer this to other readers that might not catch it. Incite a riot, insight into knowledge. I mean't the second

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I don't think there should be a law enforcement section, maybe "legal insight" like previously suggested. Last thing I need is.someone dropping my name in their defense of "a cop told me," lol.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I don't think there should be a law enforcement section, maybe "legal insight" like previously suggested. Last thing I need is.someone dropping my name in their defense of "a cop told me," lol.

Don't worry. For some strange reason, "Mister Monkey" doesn't seem like it'll carry too much weight in the courtroom.

BTW, how are you doing so far?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

That's a main point. I have a back ground in law enforcement. And military police service. Every fellow cop I ever spoke to, said a different interpretation of the same law.

Asking one officer what he thinks another officer will do, is straight fruitless. And saying a "cop told me" is like saying throw away the key cause I didn't read the law myself.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    "Is X legal or illegal?" can be answered objectively. "What can I get away with?" is a separate question, and nobody can answer that. There are way too many variables. The most interesting discussions I have had with LEOs are not the sort of talks I would see taking place on the open internet

#1gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Dallas
    Last time I asked a cop if it would get into trouble for shooting a dog that tried to attack me he answered, "We're not allowed to give legal advice." If they won't answer legal questions then probably 90% of potential questions are going to be made null.

FUNNY you say this. I asked the same thing to a sherrif locally after calling the police. Turns out he gave me incorrect information. Probably so he wouldnt have to come out and make a report. Txinv stated the sheriff was unfortunatly wrong so take what you want out of it. I would love to see the fourm have a thread or a section for it though. Regardless, if you dont know sometimes its better to get some sort of idea of what your looking at than making your own hypothesis of the situation.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "Is X legal or illegal?" can be answered objectively. "What can I get away with?" is a separate question, and nobody can answer that. There are way too many variables. The most interesting discussions I have had with LEOs are not the sort of talks I would see taking place on the open internet

+1!!

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I can see this type of section ending badly. There would be arguments and accusations of cop bashing. I was pulled over today, bot hesitate to talk about for this reason.

Top Bottom