• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobsterCraw

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Austin
    Im recommending a law enforcement section on Texas Gun Talk where we can discuss topics and the such. It doesnt have to be restricted to leo's only, but feel it would be a good addition to the site. Anyone agree?
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I thought one of the reasons for this forum was to discuss Texas law as it relates to firearms...

You sure can't find that info on Facebook!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Im recommending a law enforcement section on Texas Gun Talk where we can discuss topics and the such. It doesnt have to be restricted to leo's only, but feel it would be a good addition to the site. Anyone agree?

Last time I asked a cop if it would get into trouble for shooting a dog that tried to attack me he answered, "We're not allowed to give legal advice." If they won't answer legal questions then probably 90% of potential questions are going to be made null.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    OP asked fair question... Give your opinion if you like. Please do not post off comment topics/posts in the thread and then start cheering for a lock. I'm getting tired of seeing that around here. I'm not going to lock threads that ask honest questions, I'm going to delete irrelevant posts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

No.

There is no topic that law enforcement can answer anymore effectually then others on here. The title, "police officer" or "Law enforcement", does not infer any higher moral, technical, tactical, or special incite, over those, that do not hold the title. I find the concept of an law enforcement thread, a disrespectful insult to the knowledge possessed at large. As one's own studied education into the world of firearms, and matters concerning such, are deficit to a police officer. By virtue of some kind of misguided belief, that the non law enforcement community, has no clue on such matters unless their empowered to enforce the law.

In matters requiring the letter of the law. Legal questions are answered by attorneys. A "police officer" has no more knowledge of the law, nor additional access to rules of law, then non law enforcement individuals.

A badge holds no magic. It represents, by visual means, those appointed to enforce the laws of the state. The ability to carry an open side arm, to enforce the law, does not, in anyway, hold the standard that the person carrying it. Is the highest authority of which to judge, knowledge.

Brad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    In matters requiring the letter of the law. Legal questions are answered by attorneys. A "police officer" has no more knowledge of the law, nor additional access to rules of law, then non law enforcement individuals.

I'm gonna disagree with that aspect of it - "in general", many have a better understanding of certain aspects of the law than Joe Civilian....but when I have a legal question, I go to an attorney.

Now, as to traffic laws and general law enforcement (i.e., will doing x get me in trouble?), they'll often have some good insight. The lawyers are for when you've been busted - the cop will often be able to tell you how liable you are to GET busted in the first place.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Hell, I'm an attorney and I ask cops legal questions ALL the time. They are the front line enforcers, so they offer unique perspective(even if their opinion doesn't hold the same weight as a Judge/DA it's still valuable insight).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm gonna disagree with that aspect of it - "in general", many have a better understanding of certain aspects of the law than Joe Civilian....but when I have a legal question, I go to an attorney.

Now, as to traffic laws and general law enforcement (i.e., will doing x get me in trouble?), they'll often have some good insight. The lawyers are for when you've been busted - the cop will often be able to tell you how liable you are to GET busted in the first place.

I respect your opinion.

However, such a discussion on "will I get busted, doing X" will take on the individual views, SOP, and personal experience of the police officer that answers. While one PO will offer an answer relating to say, what the Houston police would do. It would differ slightly then an answer from a Austin police officer.

Law enforcement at the lowest level, as it is dictated by the first responders. Sometimes differ from the actual law. The attorney's playing field.

So to ask or ascertain if you're in violation or if you will be, offers very little substance coming from a police officer. It's his discretion to arrest a person for running a stop sign or not. It would be clouded incite at most. A offense one officer will arrest for, another officer lets walk.

Only those laws of the state of Texas, that mandate an arrest, such as an assault in family violence, can be counted on to be the true in aspect of what an officer tells will happen.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Only those laws of the state of Texas, that mandate an arrest, such as an assault in family violence, can be counted on to be the true in aspect of what an officer tells will happen.

You missed my point....input from an LEO will often give you better insight as to where that "line" is that goes from "maybe jail" to "enjoy the ride". Subjective, to be sure - but sometimes those subjective opinions can be helpful.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hell, I'm an attorney and I ask cops legal questions ALL the time. They are the front line enforcers, so they offer unique perspective(even if their opinion doesn't hold the same weight as a Judge/DA it's still valuable insight).

Again, that incite will differ from the law enforcement you speak with vs those on the other side of the state. If we all lived in the same town, we could reasonably expect that incite to apply in the law enforcement techniques of the same town. But we don't.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I think it'll end up as a complete crapshoot, to be honest. For many reasons that have been stated here.

Don't get me wrong: I love the idea. I think it's a great idea!
    But most frequent users on this board already know who they can ask questions to, and it'll likely become a haven for new members who don't really know anyone here yet. And whether this should have any bearing on it or not, the "new user base" has often been the avenue where trolls have entered our forum. How many? Only the mods could answer that for certain, but we've all seen them from time to time on here.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Again, that incite will differ from the law enforcement you speak with vs those on the other side of the state. If we all lived in the same town, we could reasonably expect that incite to apply in the law enforcement techniques of the same town. But we don't.

I think you may be looking for the word "insight".
    Not trying to be an ass, but the two words mean completely different things.

Top Bottom