• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Recently picked up a RIA Patriot 1911. The day after buying it, brand new from Academy btw, I took it to the range. Prior to the range I grabbed some range ammo and decided on Speer Gold Dot for my defense ammo.

At the range it fired without issue. I also test fired an entire mag of the Speer Gold Dot to ensure it feeds well as I know some hollow points are stubborn for various reasons.

Fast forward 2 days and I’m cleaning my weapons. Once everything is cleaned and lubed, I load the factory mag with the Gold Dot. Went to slide forward and it catches. Try again and it catches. I then decide to slap-rack and after the second slap rack it’s chambered.

I looked down into the chamber on the catches and it appeared as though the hollow point went nose down and was resting against the area under the barrel.

Completely lubed and cleaned… Factory mag issue? Ammo? Gun? Sorry for the long post but wanted as much info as possible for the best informed opinions. TIA.

Edit: the Gold Dot fed without issue while firing the weapon. Just wanted to add that in case it matters to the overall solution.

Last edited:

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Mag issue should be pretty easy to diagnose. Try a bunch different ones and see if you can replicate the problem.
    Only have one atm. As that was my next question. Are MOST 1911 mags interchangeable? Like a Wilson combat can fit my RIA or a Colt and so forth?

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Excuse my ignorance… “grip frame”? As in a GI model vs a different one?
    fullVScompact.jpg

Difference in full size grip and compact grip. There's only 2 sizes so it's not too bad

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    If it won't run with a Wilson ETM magazine, there is a problem with the gun. Sometimes even with a problem with the gun it will run fine with a Wilson ETM. Here is a link to the best of the best:

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    I"m not super familiar with the RIA Patriot but looks like it's a full-size so any full-size/government mag will do, as @Texasgordo pointed out in his post. I usually buy mine direct from Wilson, but might be some gun stores close to you that carry them? Better yet, do you have a buddy that shoots 1911s that'll lend you some mags to try?

If same ammo different mags doesn't fix it, trying different ammo would be my next step. Are you only having the issue with HP or are you getting failures to feed with FMJ too?

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    I"m not super familiar with the RIA Patriot but looks like it's a full-size so any full-size/government mag will do, as @Texasgordo pointed out in his post. I usually buy mine direct from Wilson, but might be some gun stores close to you that carry them? Better yet, do you have a buddy that shoots 1911s that'll lend you some mags to try?

If same ammo different mags doesn't fix it, trying different ammo would be my next step. Are you only having the issue with HP or are you getting failures to feed with FMJ too?
    Only hollow points as I shot all the FMJ rounds. I’ll pick more up on my days off and try it with that as well. Probably gonna go ahead and grab a Wilson mag tbh and the one @Otto_Mation linked as well. More mags doesn’t hurt right? Lol. I appreciate all the input.

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    Below is an edited post from the 1911 Forum:

I bought my RIA a year ago and since day one ive been having nose dive/FTF issues on a full magazine and only 2 would maybe chamber correctly. I decided to look at how the magazine sits in other 1911s. I noticed that in other 1911s the magazine sits higher and more snug. barely a gap at the bottom of the magazine(act mags). In the front, a finger nail should not fit between the gap. So i did research and found out this is a common problem among 1911s, but MORE SO for RIA 1911's. So to fix this problem you need to buy http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27432/Product/1911-AUTO-HEAVY-DUTY-MAGAZINE-CATCH. The ria mag release hole seems to be to low which causes the failure to feed issue. The nose dive of the clips/the low setting of the mag in the gun = FTF. Got my mag release in today (alot of fitting required, It comes a little wide so u need to sand some sides down inorder for it to fit correctly and also the screw needed to be sanded down inorder to work) and now it sits PERFECTLY into the frame and has eliminated the FTF.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I think RIA 1911s are all steel, anyway mine are. They may require a break in period of 250 to 500 rounds. After that it may work just fine with any decent FMJ or HP ammo. Also tryother mags as others have suggested. Try othe HP ammo as well.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Something seems to have changed if it ran fine at range. lubed? assembled correctly? Spring kinked/ barrel bushing not seated (pic)?

I clean my new mags w acetone and wax them inside and out with McGuiars car wax.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 20-11-05 1911 bushing at DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 20-09-39 McGuirs car wax. at DuckDuckGo.png

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    ... Went to slide forward and it catches. Try again and it catches. I then decide to slap-rack and after the second slap rack it’s chambered.
    Just to be clear, you get the FTF when you "went to slide forward," and this is when you have a hold of the slide and are easing the slide forward slowly into battery position right?

When you "slap-rack," and do not get the FTF, this is when you pull the slide back, then let it go for return to battery fully under power of the recoil spring?

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Sounds like a mag issue with the follower dipping forward.its happened to me a lot using budget friendly mags.

If you feeling froggy take some metal polish to the feed ramp using a q-tip just to get a mirror shine I do that with all my production 1911s, it’s probably snake oil but makes me feel like it chambers a little smoother.

Top Bottom