• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    + 082812 UPDATE +

I wanted to give another update as I received a call from my IOI this morning.

A couple of things, she has changed her mind (well, her supervisor changed her mind) on needing a FFL Type 06...and has stated that I ONLY need the one, the 07...and that it will cover all firearm sales (non-NFA), manufacturing of firearms and ammunition, reloading, FFL transfers, etc.

She stated that she is submitting her recommendation and report to her super' today.

She stated that she has submitted the paperwork for a refund on my FFL Type 01 & 06 fees ($230, total).

So...I am now sitting here...not really doubting, but still reserved until (& if) I have the license in my hand...or, it hasn't happened!

I have to tell you guys, this is really surreal for me. I know it's probably not that big of a thing to most folks. I understand that. But, I am not doing this on a whim-this is something I have put off and thought about for 15+ years. I am NOT doing this for a hobby, recreation, "because I can", or any other minimal/useless reason...but I strongly desire this (the first of many steps) to come to fruition as I am...well...sick of my career, my job...sitting in an office...drawing lines on a computer (I do architecture and design). I just want to take a step back, slowly...literally, and in time...get my hands dirty! I want that "American Dream"...and yes, even in the midst of what seems to many, the worst time in America! I believe it can happen...I have FAITH!

I could go on forever...but I'll say this - our Country is in a hurt, not just politically, but because (I FEEL) that too many kids were/are pushed to go to college, get a degree, you don't need to learn how to change your oil, someone else will do it, you don't need to know how to weld, you don't need to know how to drive a nail with a hammer, China makes an electronic thingy to do that, keep your hands clean - oh that's not good enough...you need to sit in an office, push papers, bow to your boss, kiss some booty, go to school again...and for what...a bunch of LAZY (this includes ME - for sure!), air-conditioning-needing, giving our real "American Pride" jobs to other countries, letting the strong-willing-and from other countries-have our heritage-and our votes, weak-a$$, white collar workers!!! (Now, let me say...I've been one forever, I'm NOT talking about "everyone".) Not sure where I was trying to go with that...maybe this statement will make another thread...some day!

In short, I need this (FFL) so I can continue to support my family, my future, my kid's future...and well...I guess, because I WANT my "America" back (and no, I don't think I can do it all by myself...but it's a start...)...my livelihood!

Thanks...for what...allowing me to vent!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    hoss glad to have ya here i used to kinda be ashamed of what i did (cooking and truck driver)cause back in the day we were thought of as lower class, but when i got older i came to know not true. my dad both grand pops worked with their hands, and could build a house from scratch plumbing elec frame and all, i should have paid more attention but a man who works with his hands is worth something.
    no disrespect we need engineers etc but getting dirty made this country im proud of you may GOD GRANT YOUR DREAMS AND MAY YOU PROSPER

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Hoss best of luck to you in your endeavors, once you get up and running I'll be sure to do some business with you strictly on what you posted above.

hoss glad to have ya here i used to kinda be ashamed of what i did (cooking and truck driver)cause back in the day we were thought of as lower class, but when i got older i came to know not true. my dad both grand pops worked with their hands, and could build a house from scratch plumbing elec frame and all, i should have paid more attention but a man who works with his hands is worth something.
    no disrespect we need engineers etc but getting dirty made this country im proud of you may GOD GRANT YOUR DREAMS AND MAY YOU PROSPER

+1, my father is the jack of all trades type and I kick myself now for not paying more attention and soaking up more of that knowledge while I was younger but he did teach me a lot of things I still put into use today (to include taking me shooting). He and my mom got married and had my oldest sister young (19), started off their life together with almost nothing he bounced around as an auto mechanic and eventually moved down to the Corpus area where he went to work as an underwater welder for a company (I think it was called Pi Energy?) would be gone a lot but my parents budgeted and saved, scrimped and clipped, eventually bought some land in Aransas Pass and we lived in a trailor home there for several years, more working and saving got the foundation for their house layed down, later the frame went up, sides and a roof, interior, plumbing, etc. My dad did most of the work (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc) himself and eventually we moved into the house (overall I think it was between 2 and 3 years to complete but I was young). Fast forward a couple of years he decided he wanted to give it a shot to achieve his American Dream and opened his own business (boat repair) started out sharing a shop with a friend and later moved into his own building, business came more and more so he moved to his current location at Cove Harbor in Rockport where he is continuing to do business and now also has multiple employees working under him (with my mom running most of the paperwork and shop manager duties). Most of his customers are extremely loyal because they know my dad is an honest hard working man who stands behind his work and if they mess something up will not hesitate to correct it and remedy the situation. We used to not get along very well as he is a man firm in his beliefs and I was a punk teenager who thought I knew it all but we now have a great relationship and I respect that man more than anyone I've ever met in my life.

Long story short anything is possible with a positive attitude, good business ethics, and the willingness to put forth the effort.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    Good deal. Only you can make it happen. Go for it!

Thanks man!!!

BigHoss or as I like to call you, Buddy, I just want to say that I am proud of you and the Good Lord does great things!

Thank you brother!!!

Nothing to be ashamed of...not matter what you do as employment. All types of "workers" are needed. We need Architects, Engineers, Police, Welders, Janitors, Teachers, Cooks... anything...my point is/was...it's just sad that the era of the 90's up to today...kids (and adults) are pushed to attend college, get the highest degree in a specialized field...the problem is...what if someone wanted to just cook at McDonald's (and would be happy), or lay pipe, or plumb new homes, or drive a truck...what if? It was, and is still (in most areas) "accepted". Hogwash...as we, our Country...needs WORKERS...blue collar, white collar, and even blue/dirty collars!

Thanks man!!!

Hoss best of luck to you in your endeavors, once you get up and running I'll be sure to do some business with you strictly on what you posted above.

+1, my father is the jack of all trades type and I kick myself now for not paying more attention and soaking up more of that knowledge while I was younger but he did teach me a lot of things I still put into use today (to include taking me shooting). He and my mom got married and had my oldest sister young (19), started off their life together with almost nothing he bounced around as an auto mechanic and eventually moved down to the Corpus area where he went to work as an underwater welder for a company (I think it was called Pi Energy?) would be gone a lot but my parents budgeted and saved, scrimped and clipped, eventually bought some land in Aransas Pass and we lived in a trailor home there for several years, more working and saving got the foundation for their house layed down, later the frame went up, sides and a roof, interior, plumbing, etc. My dad did most of the work (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc) himself and eventually we moved into the house (overall I think it was between 2 and 3 years to complete but I was young). Fast forward a couple of years he decided he wanted to give it a shot to achieve his American Dream and opened his own business (boat repair) started out sharing a shop with a friend and later moved into his own building, business came more and more so he moved to his current location at Cove Harbor in Rockport where he is continuing to do business and now also has multiple employees working under him (with my mom running most of the paperwork and shop manager duties). Most of his customers are extremely loyal because they know my dad is an honest hard working man who stands behind his work and if they mess something up will not hesitate to correct it and remedy the situation. We used to not get along very well as he is a man firm in his beliefs and I was a punk teenager who thought I knew it all but we now have a great relationship and I respect that man more than anyone I've ever met in my life.

Long story short anything is possible with a positive attitude, good business ethics, and the willingness to put forth the effort.

Thank you!!! I'll be here for you once things progress...

My dad was a welder for YEARS...then moved into filling and loading welding/medical gases...he's now the VP of Operations and Partner/Owner of his company that he's been with for around 34+ years...working in the welding/medical gas business.

In 1976, he turned down the opportunity to attend Texas A&M, on full employer paid scholarship (from his boss at the time) to become a Veterinarian. Over the years, he licked himself in the rear...but today, sure he works in an office...but he worked his butt off, no "higher education"...all because as a "kid", he didn't mind getting his hands dirty.

I grew up with him still doing welding on the side, I never paid attention...and now I regret it. I even got away from my family's "heritage" of hunting/fishing/outdoors to move from East Texas to the "Big City" and spent ten years in Dallas, in an office, no guns, no "outdoors", working on a computer...so that I could have the "better life". However, I met my wife...moved back to the country...and now regret my life in the city (other than my wife & kids)...as, for me, I wasted years in an industry that have finally hit a dead end.

But, that's life...we make mistakes...but it's how we learn from them and move on that makes the difference in our lives.

I'm looking forward...to finally... getting my hands dirty!

You are right...ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE...and it all begins with a positive attitude...a WILL...and a little common sense!

makeitcount

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    fort worth
    Glad to hear. Hope you do get it and things go like gangbusters. You're absolutely right. This country was made from blood sweat and tears, honor,
    sacrifice and loyalty. The common things people take for granted these days are those laborious jobs and tasks that still need to be done by some
    one and none of it is taught in the universities. Only one way to get it back....stay involved and fight like hell for your freedoms.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Dammit ... ENOUGH of this touchy feely stuff!!! I have the money, do YOU have a license and CAN YOU build me a 338 from scratch? LOL

Actually a pretty good read. Good luck with the whole shebang BigHoss. You never gave the answer ... how long was the interview. By chance today I found a small town, once-a-month auction house that regularly sells guns. She said their interview (sales only) was @ 8hrs. Of course I stopped in there to find out about auctions and guns and learned a WHOLE lot more over the next 45 minutes. Translation ~ she's a talker

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Glad to hear things are working out for yuh!

Im in talks with a couple buddies trying to get something going. we are looking at class III... should be interesting.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I feel your pain. I draw lines on a computer too. I wish I could find a way to make a buck in the gun world. Best of luck to you!

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    Glad to hear. Hope you do get it and things go like gangbusters. You're absolutely right. This country was made from blood sweat and tears, honor,
    sacrifice and loyalty. The common things people take for granted these days are those laborious jobs and tasks that still need to be done by some
    one and none of it is taught in the universities. Only one way to get it back....stay involved and fight like hell for your freedoms.

Thanks for your comments!

Dammit ... ENOUGH of this touchy feely stuff!!! I have the money, do YOU have a license and CAN YOU build me a 338 from scratch? LOL

Actually a pretty good read. Good luck with the whole shebang BigHoss. You never gave the answer ... how long was the interview. By chance today I found a small town, once-a-month auction house that regularly sells guns. She said their interview (sales only) was @ 8hrs. Of course I stopped in there to find out about auctions and guns and learned a WHOLE lot more over the next 45 minutes. Translation ~ she's a talker

LOL!! Nope, no license YET!

Sorry I missed the mark on answering the "how long" question! My interview lasted right at three hours. I had most of what I needed already, had read EVERYTHING the ATF has online, my shop set up...for the most part, very few questions (she was thorough), and overall...a pleasant visit/interview.

Glad to hear things are working out for yuh!

Im in talks with a couple buddies trying to get something going. we are looking at class III... should be interesting.

Thanks! Good look on the Class III...I'm sure it can be acquired easily...other than the $$$ part, for some!

I feel your pain. I draw lines on a computer too. I wish I could find a way to make a buck in the gun world. Best of luck to you!

Boring! Not you...just the drawing on a computer thing...it gets very old after awhile! Thanks!

BTW, still "no word". However, I believe I am being optimistic as I have just finished creating/laying out/building my web site (not available for the public eye until I have a license in hand) as well as working on my "company" Facebook page that I started back April (again, not available for the public eye until I have a license in hand)...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I worked with my hands beginning when I was around 10. My grandpa had rent houses, and we worked on them together. I was small and could fit into small spaces (under a house) that he was too fat to fit in. That continued into high school, where I did ranch work: working cattle and hauling hay. Then into adulthood where I did construction work for more than a decade. When I hurt my back, I went to college and got a desk job. Best thing I ever did for myself. I'm not on disability, I now have my own business, and I go home smelling nice (my favorite part).

I guess its all in perspective. I can do alot of things with my hands, and for years I did it to survive and raise my family. But its nice to not HAVE to anymore. Now, its nice to not have to wreck my body at my age just to survive. Glad I was able to make it out of that lifestyle. Too many of my friends from that world are "old men" at my age.

Hey, the grass is always greener, right? No matter what we do, we usually want to be doing something else.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    I worked with my hands beginning when I was around 10. My grandpa had rent houses, and we worked on them together. I was small and could fit into small spaces (under a house) that he was too fat to fit in. That continued into high school, where I did ranch work: working cattle and hauling hay. Then into adulthood where I did construction work for more than a decade. When I hurt my back, I went to college and got a desk job. Best thing I ever did for myself. I'm not on disability, I now have my own business, and I go home smelling nice (my favorite part).

I guess its all in perspective. I can do alot of things with my hands, and for years I did it to survive and raise my family. But its nice to not HAVE to anymore. Now, its nice to not have to wreck my body at my age just to survive. Glad I was able to make it out of that lifestyle. Too many of my friends from that world are "old men" at my age.

Hey, the grass is always greener, right? No matter what we do, we usually want to be doing something else.

Thanks for the response! Yes, as most of us "feel"...the grass is always greener on the other side...in our minds!

What it all boils down to, for me...is that I am just tired of sitting at a desk in an office...with no windows, no view, no exercise...and just ready to get off my rear end! I see too many jobs going overseas as most everyone is convinced to get a degree (which is good), work a white collar job (which is good)...but, sadly...there has been no "balance" as so much "shame" has been put out by society...if you're working a blue collar job.

Top Bottom