ARJ Defense ad

IF the current bill becomes law, how will it change what you are doing now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ebde3c9ffe4a27541b97d93951ee83aec638b5c9116a3e05074206ae7b2474d8.jpg

I freaking LOLed so hard . Good stuff
    Capitol Armory ad

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Open carry is a fool's errand. When I walk into anyplace, I want to know I am the baddest most dangerous mofo in the place...and I do not want anyone else to know.

If a bad guy comes in to do harm, I do not want him or her to single me out because they can clearly see that I am armed...I want that to be a surprise.

But, if you want to play John Wayne and strap a Colt Peacemaker low on your hip or Mall Ninja with a tactical holster with your Glock on your thigh, then go for it...while the bad guy is engaging you and possibly taking you out as a clear threat, I will be the surprise he or she did not expect...I win, both you and the bad guy lose...
    I wanna be like you when I grow up..........:what:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Open carry is a fool's errand. When I walk into anyplace, I want to know I am the baddest most dangerous mofo in the place...and I do not want anyone else to know.

If a bad guy comes in to do harm, I do not want him or her to single me out because they can clearly see that I am armed...I want that to be a surprise.

But, if you want to play John Wayne and strap a Colt Peacemaker low on your hip or Mall Ninja with a tactical holster with your Glock on your thigh, then go for it...while the bad guy is engaging you and possibly taking you out as a clear threat, I will be the surprise he or she did not expect...I win, both you and the bad guy lose...

Since you are so big on BTDT, what qualifies you to speak about what goes on in the mind of a criminal or what he/she may or may not do?

Brian Boru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    Mike1234567,

EXACTLY.

I seriously doubt that I will OC but I want ALL the so-called "gun control laws" ABOLISHED at every level of government & any officeholder who introduces another such law RIDICULED, HUMILIATED & DEFEATED as "an enemy of The Constitution".

yours, satx

yes, Yes, YES! :D

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Southpaw; skinman,

Inasmuch as I've spent the last 4+ decades pursuing, capturing & interviewing criminals, I suspect that I know more than most non-criminals about what motivates them.

As best as I can tell, their basic motivations are: LUST, GREED, HATE & a through DISREGARD for others.
    I've never found ANY criminal that didn't fit those broad categories except those pitiful souls who are so out of touch with reality and/or so mentally defective that they are unable to form a specific criminal intent.

For the 99% of criminals, that are NOT completely incompetent to understand right from wrong, their motivation is: "I want to do whatever I want, regardless of its effect on other people."

yours, satx

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I believe this wholeheartedly!!

Southpaw; skinman,

Inasmuch as I've spent the last 4+ decades pursuing, capturing & interviewing criminals, I suspect that I know more than most non-criminals about what motivates them.

As best as I can tell, their basic motivations are: LUST, GREED, HATE & a through DISREGARD for others.
    I've never found ANY criminal that didn't fit those broad categories except those pitiful souls who are so out of touch with reality and/or so mentally defective that they are unable to form a specific criminal intent.

For the 99% of criminals, that are NOT completely incompetent to understand right from wrong, their motivation is: "I want to do whatever I want, regardless of its effect on other people."

yours, satx

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Southpaw; skinman,

yours, satx

Not sure why you called me out in that statement. :confused:

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Southpaw; skinman,

yours, satx

Right on the money.

I do not mean to imply that I AM the baddest mofo in the room, only that I want to have that mindset in place anytime I carry so I am more confident and less likely to hesitate to fire if I ever have to pull my weapon on a bad guy to protect me and mine. I think that is a fundamental necessity for self-defense.

I know that some will not agree because they don't see it, but I think that openly carrying a weapon can also make you a target. I also do not see open carry as a positive thing or as a Constitutional right...

Last edited:

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I will still conceal. I may open carry more in the woods or on my property. This just puts my mind at ease when I am moving my gun between my hip and my car in public or when I am reaching for milk on the top shelf at the grocery store. The law will put public's minds more at ease when they actually see my gun because open carry will be legally possible by civilians.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I will still conceal. I may open carry more in the woods or on my property. This just puts my mind at ease when I am moving my gun between my hip and my car in public or when I am reaching for milk on the top shelf at the grocery store. The law will put public's minds more at ease when they actually see my gun because open carry will be legally possible by civilians.

I agree. I may not agree with the proposed legislation on principle, and even if it manages to pass and become law I probably will not carry openly, but, like you, I will be more at ease when I am riding and carrying a 1911 that happens to show below my riding vest.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Southpaw,

Simple. = Because I thought you might be interested in my comment.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    skinman,

Fwiw, OC probably no more makes a person "a target" than just BEING THERE does.

It is also possible that CC may give you a chance to AMBUSH a violent criminal & in a mass murder/active shooter situation that MIGHT be an advantage.

Frankly, I don't how that a person could prove either theory. = Too many variables come into play, as every shoot/don't shoot situation is different.

Fwiw, the ONLY time that I was ever in such a situation "off duty" was over 20 years ago when my ex-wife & I were eating at a catfish joint. = 2 thugs came in & were obviously "casing the place".
    When we saw that, I eased my 1911A1 out of my holster & laid it in my lap.
    (My lady was a 2LT in the MPC at the time but was unarmed.)

When the thugs drew their firearms (a .25ACP & a .32 revolver), I eased out from behind the table (after pushing my wife down behind the table), took a semi-concealed position behind a Coke box & announced "POLICE. THROW DOWN YOUR GUN."

The thugs complied, were arrested by local deputies who arrived about a couple of minutes later & we finished our dinner after giving the LEO a brief statement.
    (Truthfully, the incident didn't amount to much except that nobody was injured & the thugs went to jail.)

yours, satx

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Right on the money.

I do not mean to imply that I AM the baddest mofo in the room, only that I want to have that mindset in place anytime I carry so I am more confident and less likely to hesitate to fire if I ever have to pull my weapon on a bad guy to protect me and mine. I think that is a fundamental necessity for self-defense.

I know that some will not agree because they don't see it, but I think that openly carrying a weapon can also make you a target. I also do not see open carry as a positive thing or as a Constitutional right...

You are right, some will not agree (including me). Its attitudes like that (baddest mofo just because I have a gun.....) that we keep hearing about from the anti's. Its also attitudes like that that end up putting people in some seriously bad positions where their whole life ends up changing. All because they had the bad mofo attitude and felt brave because they had a gun on their hip or tucked under their belt!

You should be ready ANYTIME you are carrying no matter your "attitude". Also, just because you pull your weapon doesn't automatically go from draw to fire. You had dang sure be ready to reevaluate your decision as the scene is progressing! If my automatic response to the only time I have had to draw my weapon would have been to fire, I'd be sitting in prison right now!!!! It would be pretty d@&% hard to justify my actions in front of a jury of my peers when I had just shot a guy through the front windshield of a car traveling in reverse!!!!!!! As soon as the punk saw my weapon, he decided that trying to run me over was a bad idea and threw the vehicle he had just stolen from me in reverse. Between draw and fire, he had plenty of time to start backward and I had enough time to reevaluate and make the decision not to fire but to give chase instead and he was caught and arrested a few mins later.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There was a time when I could crush faces and really enjoyed doing it. Now, I'm an old fart and feel like I have a target on my back. It's a comfort knowing that my little buddy will protect me.

At the least, the bastards who kill me will show up at a hospital with numerous leaks!

As to carrying options, a while back, I bought some 3X shirts and they're plenty roomy in the belly area. I'm apparently right between 2X and 3X. I haven't worn them but did try one a few days ago. I thought:" these are great for use with CC holsters!"

Some changes may be coming!

Flash

Last edited:

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    After some thought on the subject, I might change something after all. Were I to open carry I would probably switch to some type of retention holster.

Top Bottom