Texas SOT

IF the current bill becomes law, how will it change what you are doing now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I agree. However, there won't be case law and I think you will see LEOs asking for licenses for people who open carry, depending on department policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I would assume that since it will be CHL based, technically they wouldn't have to ask. All they would have to do is approach you and ask you how your day is. Doesn't the CHL duty to inform place the burden on the carrier to inform the Officer of his license status?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I agree. However, there won't be case law and I think you will see LEOs asking for licenses for people who open carry, depending on department policy.

Of course you will.
    Mere citizens cant enjoy the same freedoms as a certified peace officer.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I would assume that since it will be CHL based, technically they wouldn't have to ask. All they would have to do is approach you and ask you how your day is. Doesn't the CHL duty to inform place the burden on the carrier to inform the Officer of his license status?
    Only if asked for ID and you are carrying. Asking how your day is is not asking for ID and you have no duty to inform. Heck, in all my dealings with LE since getting my CHL, I've only told one officer I had my chl and that was because I had to draw on a punk to keep him from running me over in my wife's car he stole. The officer couldnt have cared less either way. He wondered why we were at a second scene and not at the first with a dead perp!

I don't see police stopping people who open carry to check their license if the law passes unless the person gives them a good reason. Like the "they'll shoot you first" and the "30.06 signs popping up everywhere" arguments, sounds good but it doesn't happen in any of the states that allow open carry right now so why would it happen here?

Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Only if asked for ID and you are carrying. Asking how your day is is not asking for ID and you have no duty to inform. Heck, in all my dealings with LE since getting my CHL, I've only told one officer I had my chl and that was because I had to draw on a punk to keep him from running me over in my wife's car he stole. The officer couldnt have cared less either way. He wondered why we were at a second scene and not at the first with a dead perp!

I don't see police stopping people who open carry to check their license if the law passes unless the person gives them a good reason. Like the "they'll shoot you first" and the "30.06 signs popping up everywhere" arguments, sounds good but it doesn't happen in any of the states that allow open carry right now so why would it happen here?

I was probably reading too much into it. I took the CHL instructor course a year ago, but never did anything with it. The gun laws here make my head hurt.

I lived in an open carry state for 16 years and never saw an issue occur because of it.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Yea I used to be one of the people who didn't like the idea of open carry because I thought the signs would pop up everywhere and people would be getting shot first. That was until I did my research into the other states. I changed my mind!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

No, a CHL holder is only required to display his/her license when a peace officer or magistrate demands the CHL holder IDs himself.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Businesses will post 30.07 signs. I am the Security Director for a large public access facility. I have already been asked to stay on top of the bills and be proactive on getting signs ordered if this passes. This location is managed by the spouse of a LEO, and we do not prohibit concealed carry, by choice. Many of the managers here have a CHL. They will not allow open carry. As a member of a professional association I can also tell you that there are many businesses who will be posting 30.07 of the bill passes.

I am a contractor and have no decision in this process.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I remember when CHL first passed. I already had my permit in hand. I remember when DPS mailed it out it had a orange sticker on it saying not to carry until the law went into effect.

I also remember Wal-Mart and a host of other stores and business posting 30.06 and how the Dallas Morning news said there would be blood in the streets of Texas as deep as a horses bridle. A bunch of us got together and sent letters (not much email back then)

Walmart caved in and many others followed suit. Blood didn't flow in the streets and the first CHL holder to kill an old boy was a guy who got out of his car during a road rage incident and started beating the hell out of him while he was still seat belted in his car and could not get away.

He was no billed.

This over presumptuous reaction is nothing but hyperbole like I have seen before.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I do plan on OCing, and I do expect to be heckled and asked for ID from Houston PD/Harris County. But I will endure those encounters in order to demonstrate that people have nothing to be afraid of!

Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I remember when CHL first passed. I already had my permit in hand. I remember when DPS mailed it out it had a orange sticker on it saying not to carry until the law went into effect.

I also remember Wal-Mart and a host of other stores and business posting 30.06 and how the Dallas Morning news said there would be blood in the streets of Texas as deep as a horses bridle. A bunch of us got together and sent letters (not much email back then)

Walmart caved in and many others followed suit. Blood didn't flow in the streets and the first CHL holder to kill an old boy was a guy who got out of his car during a road rage incident and started beating the hell out of him while he was still seat belted in his car and could not get away.

He was no billed.

This over presumptuous reaction is nothing but hyperbole like I have seen before.

No kidding. Considering the majority of US states either allow permitted or permit less open carry and 10 states already have Constitutional carry in one form or another, I don't get this hysteria over it- like there will be gunfights everywhere.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We do not mind open carry and support it......folks do in our shop all the time, no big deal at all.......except...

We do mind them pulling it out the holster and allowing others to fondle it loaded in the showroom.

We do mind folks loading and unloading their firearms in the showroom.

All we ask is folks have the courtesy to be safe and be considerate of the other customers.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    To date, since the inception of CHL in Texas, the number of CHL holders convicted of ANY crime is still less than 0.5%. That's less than ONE HALF OF ONE PERCENT of all CHL holders. So much for the blood baths. ;)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

I'm all for the population of TX growing BUT not if it is arrogant/ignorant/leftist DYs from the NE moving here.

yours, satx

Top Bottom