Votes: 36 57.1%

• Total voters

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Y'know, I heard much the same "argument" from some LEO's during the CHL debate - that folks would be waving guns around, etc. I think what they didn't count on was the seriousness with which MOST folks take carrying a firearm.

Hell, I suddenly become more mature if I've even got guns in the car with me, never mind on my hip. Why? I get reminded that maybe flipping off that guy who almost hit me might just turn into a lethal confrontation (though I always see myself as the one left standing). Suddenly it's just not worth it.

I've mentioned this to other people and they've affirmed my experience.

I did call that assumption wildly ridiculous.

That's not what he's upset about. He's (and I'm) upset that you called the person who posted "stupid". Over the line, man. Make counter arguments based on facts and reason, but as soon as you get personal you've lost, and if you get insulting that's too far.
    Hurley's Gold

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    You are confusing the legality of it vs. the wisdom of it. I certainly think it should be legal. I also certainly think it is not a wise choice for civilians. Nothing that should confuse anyone.

I agree that you shouldnt have to wear a motorcycle helmet. Do I wear one? Yes, I think it is unwise to ride without one, but I support you being free to choose.

You get what I am saying?

Yeah......I actually do with that expanded explanation.

Thanks!

Edited to add...although I get what you're saying......still feel like some other that have weighed in on this thread do not support OC. JMHO

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    You are confusing the legality of it vs. the wisdom of it. I certainly think it should be legal. I also certainly think it is not a wise choice for civilians. Nothing that should confuse anyone.

I agree that you shouldnt have to wear a motorcycle helmet. Do I wear one? Yes, I think it is unwise to ride without one, but I support you being free to choose.

You get what I am saying?

Freedom of choice for everyone. Seriously.

I've found it useful to sometimes not reply to a thread for a couple of days, especially if things seem to be warming up a bit. The thread will still be there - unless it's been locked - and a civilized conversation can continue.

On a side note, I wear a helmet just as I'd open carry. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. All depends on the situation.

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    So I'm new here but here is my view...

I'm an elementary teacher (2nd Grade) I carry 95% of the time when I'm not at work. I go to the range 1-2 times a week. I'm a shorts, sandals, t-shirt kind of guy. I have no problem concealing my Ruger LCP with CT in my front pocket. While having open carry wouldn't affect my comfort too much...I do think that I really like the idea of not having to worry about printing or an accidental exposure (haven't had one yet). Most of the time my wife is unaware if I have the gun on me or not (she also has her CHL). We carry often and I'm glad it doesn't draw attention to us when we do so.

I guess I find myself falling into the public reaction group of people who fear more 30.06 signs.

I could easily see that public reaction to an OC policy would be the posting of more 30.06 signs. I feel that even though this is Texas people don't want to see guns on people's hips. I like to carry concealed because it doesn't draw attention to myself. As a person who spends 40+ hours a week with 7-8 year olds I'd see that at first kids would be fascinated with staring at the guy in the shopping line at the grocery store with an OC weapon. Then is/her mommy/daddy might be uncomfortable with the attention that their child is giving the weapon.. but kids are naturally curious about guns. Then mommy and daddy are uncomfortable with OC so much so that they push for 30.06 signs at their local hangouts. People are out of site out of mind based... (don't get me started on black scary guns).

While open carry would be great for concealment issues that occasionally happen I could see society easily reacting to seeing guns (which were always here in the first place but were concealed...remember out of site out of mind) at their local hangouts in such a way they would move to impose more bans on them. (I hope I'm wrong...but it seems logical given the way society is).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    But there's a counter reaction to that. People like us often stop going to places that put up 30.06 signs. And we can exert pressure of our own.

Are you willing to?

On a personal note: I don't give a damn if someone feels "uncomfortable" because I'm present. That's their hangup, not mine.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    My girlfriends leftist mom told me one day that the only bad thing about me is that I have a bunch of guns. I told her that I'm not breaking the law and I don't care how she feels about it. If people have a problem with a right that you are exercising, its just that... Their problem.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My girlfriends leftist mom told me one day that the only bad thing about me is that I have a bunch of guns. I told her that I'm not breaking the law and I don't care how she feels about it. If people have a problem with a right that you are exercising, its just that... Their problem.
    One of these days, if all hell breaks loose, she'll be knocking on your door wanting protection. They change their tune when life gets threatening.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    My girlfriends leftist mom told me one day that the only bad thing about me is that I have a bunch of guns. I told her that I'm not breaking the law and I don't care how she feels about it.
    You may, and again this is completely up to you, try to talk to her about why she thinks the way she does. Explain to her the history and importance of guns in the hands of citizens. Share with her how we are but a small minority of the poulation of the world that has the freedoms that we do. Educate her in subtle ways.

Telling her that you dont care how she feels probably doesnt put the best face on our cause. IMHO...

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Telling her that you dont care how she feels probably doesnt put the best face on our cause. IMHO...

This why we have to remain civil amongst ourselves here. ANYBODY can read what is posted here. We don't want to appear disorganized and argumentative. We should really try to argue with some restraint.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas

I'm with TexasCop2 on this. It's the whole "You catch more flies with honey" sort of thing. I sincerely hope you were a bit more tactful than you indicated, alienating your lady-friends' mother can cause all sorts of hell. Don't ask how I know.....

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    You may, and again this is completely up to you, try to talk to her about why she thinks the way she does. Explain to her the history and importance of guns in the hands of citizens. Share with her how we are but a small minority of the poulation of the world that has the freedoms that we do. Educate her in subtle ways.

I completely agree. This happened once she made a really rude comment so I made one back. I really get along with her well. I mow her lawn and take care of her pool. She is very appreciative but when she starts talking politics it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Don't get me started on her. She is like talkin to a wall. She likes me allot, but she says anti gun crap all the time. I don't have enough time with her to fix her. This lady keeps wasp spray on her nightstand for home defense. She is too far gone for the 1 hr a week I spend with her.

I did however fix my own mom!!! I am really proud of that one. My mom was just as bad but more confrontational. She carries a 38 in her car now.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Don't get me started on her. She is like talkin to a wall. She likes me allot, but she says anti gun crap all the time. I don't have enough time with her to fix her. This lady keeps wasp spray on her nightstand for home defense. She is too far gone.

I did however fix my own mom!!! I am really proud of that one. My mom was just as bad but more confrontational.
    If your mom was just as bad and you succeeded than you can convert her too, but you have to use facts and tact.

BTW...wasp spray works well, and shoots 20 feet with alot of volume.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I know it shoots really far but what does the actual spray do to incapacitate??

I would think a nice big can of pepper spray would work better.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You get it in your face, trust me - you will NOT be thinking of anything but gettin' it OFF. Remains to be seen as to whether some ambulance-chasin' lawyer might try to sue someone for usin' it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So I'm new here but here is my view...

I'm an elementary teacher (2nd Grade) I carry 95% of the time when I'm not at work. I go to the range 1-2 times a week. I'm a shorts, sandals, t-shirt kind of guy. I have no problem concealing my Ruger LCP with CT in my front pocket. While having open carry wouldn't affect my comfort too much...I do think that I really like the idea of not having to worry about printing or an accidental exposure (haven't had one yet). Most of the time my wife is unaware if I have the gun on me or not (she also has her CHL). We carry often and I'm glad it doesn't draw attention to us when we do so.

I guess I find myself falling into the public reaction group of people who fear more 30.06 signs.

I could easily see that public reaction to an OC policy would be the posting of more 30.06 signs. I feel that even though this is Texas people don't want to see guns on people's hips. I like to carry concealed because it doesn't draw attention to myself. As a person who spends 40+ hours a week with 7-8 year olds I'd see that at first kids would be fascinated with staring at the guy in the shopping line at the grocery store with an OC weapon. Then is/her mommy/daddy might be uncomfortable with the attention that their child is giving the weapon.. but kids are naturally curious about guns. Then mommy and daddy are uncomfortable with OC so much so that they push for 30.06 signs at their local hangouts. People are out of site out of mind based... (don't get me started on black scary guns).

While open carry would be great for concealment issues that occasionally happen I could see society easily reacting to seeing guns (which were always here in the first place but were concealed...remember out of site out of mind) at their local hangouts in such a way they would move to impose more bans on them. (I hope I'm wrong...but it seems logical given the way society is).

Matthew

Great post, but if I may point out one thing, which is "printing or an accidental exposure" is not against the law in Texas.

Either may cause a disruption in a public place (much like some feel OC could do), but the Texas Penal Code for Disorderly Conduct (§42.01) specifically states "(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionallyor knowingly: (8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm" (emphasis mine).

Cheers! M2

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    These are the posts I typed in this thread. I cant see where I made it sound like they witnessed showboating, merely that it was a fear.

It was this post:
    I dont think many of my friends care if it is legal, they just didnt understand why anyone would want to do it. Their opinion....and it is merely an opinion, is that OCing is usually done by those that want to "showboat".
    I am not saying that everyone who OCs is showing off, but I can understand their perspective.
    The phrasing "is usually done by", instead of "might be done by", indicates that your friends are referring to an extant activity which involves showboating. You've already addressed what you meant, and I responded. I suppose I was giving your friends the benefit of the doubt, and that caused me to misinterpret your post. Their fear is irrational and contrary to much empirical evidence (see an OC State).

Good job on turning some of them! :patriot:

Top Bottom