• matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Agg robbery. ;)
    Why? It's his right to carry.

Looks like a judge ruled in 2005 that panhandling is a 1st amendment right.

City ordinance makes that illegal in some parts of Austin, but a local judge now says that law is unconstitutional.

"People by the street or on the sidewalk saying, 'Give money if you can,'" Wayne Krause with the Texas Civil Rights Project said. "We're not talking about homeless people attacking people. We're not talking about homeless people doing anything except maybe making people feel a little uncomfortable."

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    A Hobo asking for money is already borderline robbery. Many of them use intimidation as a tool.

When openly carrying weapons people have to really watch what they say.
    So you see open carry intimidating or changing the way people speak to each other?

To anti gunners even someone normally comfortable around guns or even caring one themselves the feeling could arise for something as simple as a dinner dispute on who gets the bill or any type of situation where they would have voiced their normal opinion. Such as politics. "I should bring up Obama, my gosh he has a gun should I?"

Edit to add: The OP himself seemed to want to limit the pan handlers freedom of speech by intimidating the person with the presence of a gun. There will be others out there that could see OCing as a way to get their way as well.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    So you see open carry intimidating or changing the way people speak to each other?

To anti gunners even someone normally comfortable around guns or even caring one themselves the feeling could arise for something as simple as a dinner dispute on who gets the bill or any type of situation where they would have voiced their normal opinion. Such as politics. "I should bring up Obama, my gosh he has a gun should I?"

Edit to add: The OP himself seemed to want to limit the pan handlers freedom of speech by intimidating the person with the presence of a gun. There will be others out there that could see OCing as a way to get their way as well.

Demanding money from a stranger while displaying a firearm is not acceptable.

In an OC society, people would be more polite. I believe this would be the case for practical as well as ethical reasons.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    A Hobo asking for money is already borderline robbery. Many of them use intimidation as a tool.

When openly carrying weapons people have to really watch what they say.
    Hobo's havent aver offended me so to speek. It's the dopers and crackheads that piss me off.
    I have no problem with buying a hungry man a sandwitch, but no im not giving them money.

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Exactly. Advertising is only good for businesses, IMO.

I agree with this statement. Granted, when talked concealed vs open, it's fractions of a second in draw time. Only reason for carrying a firearm is if a situation were to arise, you have to means to protect yourself. A firearm is not a piece of jewelry to show off, it's purpose is to function when necessary.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You skirt the issue. Does the open carry of guns affect others 1st amendment rights? If it does should it?
    Not sure what you're asking.

If a person is carrying openly a deadly weapon and threatens another verbally, or uses speech alone to commit a crime, the mere presence of the weapon can increase the severity of the offense. The victim may even have justification to use deadly force against the open carrier.

In a sense, you could say by choosing to open carry we accept greater limitations on our freedom of speech.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    So are you going to have to have a CHL to open carry if the bill passes? How dumb is that? In KS you can OC without a license as long as the city allows it..I am sure if it passes here the cops will get a crash course on not pulling stunts like the one up in Philly that has been posted before.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    So are you going to have to have a CHL to open carry if the bill passes? How dumb is that? In KS you can OC without a license as long as the city allows it..I am sure if it passes here the cops will get a crash course on not pulling stunts like the one up in Philly that has been posted before.
    Yes. You will still need to be licensed. Constitutional Carry is in the future somewhere, but this is another great step in the right direction.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    ...and, I'm unfamiliar with the "stunt in Philly" that you mention, but because it will be "Licensed carry", police will have every right to ask anyone they see with a pistol for their license.
    It'll be no different from showing your license and registration for your vehicle if pulled over.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Pointless IMHO...

I can think of 2 purposes. One, it will allow people with CHLs to open carry. Sometimes I would like to carry semi-concealed but I cannot without violating State law. Second, it will serve as stepping stone legislation to Constitutional Carry. When the Liberals spew forth their "blood in the streets" nonsense we will say "look, OC has been legal for CHL holders for 2 years. No such incidents took place."

Top Bottom