• ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Bozz10mm,

Do you happen to know what the average "shelf life" of MRE is??

yours, satx
    From research I have done, the claim is 3 to 5 years when stored at below 80° F. In my personal opinion, I think they will remain edible far beyond that, maybe up to 10 years or more. From what I've seen all over the interwebs, there is no definitive expiration date as long as the seal is not broken and there is no swelling of the packet. I recently disposed of some 16 year old MREs that had been stored in a fridge at 40° since 2006. They still looked fine, but I did not taste test them. Since I recently ordered some fresh MREs, I just decided to get rid of the oldest.
    Hurley's Gold

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I got a fresh case sitting in the closet and a line on a couple more. It's a TP gold mine.
    I'm holding on to them for a worst case scenario when the water is not running from the tap and I must resort to this.

1605963036249.png

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Went to my HEB yesterday, plenty of TP but Academy and ammo a whole different story.

Jimmy,

I also went to HEB yesterday PM & found SOME TP on the shelves but FEW paper towels available.
    NO smoked pork chops or smoked neck bones for sale at all.
    (I often use both for seasoning beans/soup.)

NOTE: The ONLY items that I saw "rationed" was RAW brisket & large frozen bags of chitterlings.
    (I do NOT cook/eat chitterlings, as I cannot abide the SMELL.)

Right now, I'm not looking for ammo right now but would buy some more primers, IF I should see any for sale.

yours, satx

J1mmy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Houston
    Jimmy,

I also went to HEB yesterday PM & found SOME TP on the shelves but FEW paper towels available.

NOTE: The ONLY items that I saw "rationed" was RAW brisket & large frozen bags of chitterlings.

Right now, I'm not looking for ammo right now but would buy some more primers, IF I should see any for sale.

yours, satx

Primers are harder to find for sure. I heard Winchester is only at 80% production of their ammo due to lack of them.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    From research I have done, the claim is 3 to 5 years when stored at below 80° F. In my personal opinion, I think they will remain edible far beyond that, maybe up to 10 years or more. From what I've seen all over the interwebs, there is no definitive expiration date as long as the seal is not broken and there is no swelling of the packet. I recently disposed of some 16 year old MREs that had been stored in a fridge at 40° since 2006. They still looked fine, but I did not taste test them. Since I recently ordered some fresh MREs, I just decided to get rid of the oldest.

Bozz10mm,

THANKS for the info.

While I'm NOT fond of "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians", I guess that I ought to buy a few cases for emergency rations.

yours, satx

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Jimmy,

yours, satx
    I use smoked ham hocks...

Stores in austin have plenty of TP.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cycleguy2300,

NO smoked ham hocks either at HEB here. = I'm in the mood for NAVY BEANS with pork & cornbread fritters.

yours, satx

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Bidets fer sale!

Getcher bidets heah!!

Or, just drop trou and aim a garden hose to your crappy a-hole ...preferably outside.

It works bettern tp...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Navy beans and cornbread. Now that is hard to beat.

oldag; All,

To All: FWIW, my recipe for navy beans is REALLY simple - Dry Navy beans soaked overnight, smoked pork, one onion roughly chopped & black pepper.
    Cooked until tender. - That's IT.
    (Fyi, I used to "fancy it up a bit" but my lady & most of our friends like it BEST really "plain Jane", as above.)

My fried cornbread recipe is really SIMPLE, too: 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, one egg (beaten), 1/4 teaspoon of salt & STIR-IN enough milk to make a batter that is as thick/thin as you want it to be.
    Put batter, by serving spoon fulls, into a preheated frying pan with about 1/4 inch of grease & fry until as dark as you want.
    SERVE with butter.
    (MAKE LOTS, as these very simple/quick to make fritters DISAPPEAR as if by magic.)

ADDENDA: The only "hillbilly food" that I cook that disappears FASTER than corn fritters is thick slices of eggplant, dipped into a beaten raw egg, dredged in cornmeal & pan-fried in bacon grease.

Fwiw, I finally "smartened up", bought a BIG/DEEP electric skillet from the Goodwill Store & cook the eggplant rounds AT THE TABLE, as otherwise I have to eat AFTER everyone else has eaten
    (Fried eggplant is BEST when served scalding hot, straight from the frying pan.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom