I Think I'm Done With The NFL After This!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Umm, the standard of comparison for HS stadiums should never be pro stadiums.

Ludicrous to spend $60M on a HS stadium, in and of its own merits. Video scoreboards at HS stadiums? Also ridiculous. Indoor practice fields for HS (I know of at least one) - right again, ridiculous. Not only a waste of taxpayer money, but funds are much more sorely needed for education (imagine that) in HS's.
    I'm not saying the costs aren't ridiculous, just 60 mil would be easier to pay off as a community than say 1 billion+ would be.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A “ground breaking” ceremony is happening TODAY for a new Texas Rangers’ Stadium. And I have yet to go to the last new one, they built. I did attend a few games at the old one - the one built before the one they’re in now that is apparently too old and will be replaced by the one they start construction on today (to be opened in 2020, according to the news report). Geezzz....

The old/existing stadium is REALLY nice IMHO.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a retractable roof...how they managed to play without a retractable roof is beyond me. Those poor, poor guys getting paid millions to play a stick/ball sports outdoors...

Kidding aside, the lack of a retractable roof is a pretty ridiculous reason to kill a 22 year old stadium at taxpayer expense.

JFMitchell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2017
    I am sick and tired of (most of) the spoiled, over-paid, immature jerks who make up the NFL. You can include (most of) the owners in that. Most of them are only interested in how much money they can get either thru a contract or through the ticket sales.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    ...how they managed to play without a retractable roof is beyond me.

Well, that’s about to get rectified (or will be in the next three years or so)!

HS vs. Pro stadium costs. Yeah, it wasn’t my intention to be comparing the construction costs between the two. BUT the costs for the local ISD operation impacts MY property taxes a lot more directly than some {relatively} far away (i.e., different city, different county) pro team/stadium. In my judgment: both are ridiculous. I don’t care what the pro-sport teams do IF it was all on their own dime (which it’s not). But that’s more a fault of the voters in that location. Just like it was the local voters that decided to build a $70M HS stadium here in McKinney!

ETA: I keep saying $70M when really the total, total cost will be closer to $90M when it’s all said and done (as far as total cost to tax payers is concerned). The lower number is what the ISD folks keep quoting because they’re so good at not telling the “whole truth”!

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The quickest way to find out if this is all based on "RACE" is to look at the RACE of the individuals who are predominately complaining about the kneeling.

Most blacks support the protest. Most Blacks are the ones kneeling. The few Blacks that do not support the kneeling protest, are Black Conservative Republicans, your Ben Carson's and Sheriff Clarke, which Black community already doesn't support. The rest of the people that do not support the kneeling protest are people who are NOT Black.
    This proves the common denominator isn't race at all. The common denominator for support or condemnation is left vs. right political views. That's not to say it's a Republican/Democrat divide; it goes deeper than that. You're also discounting all the white people who are supportive.

I did some research on this in September of last year. The numbers were interesting for sure. The BLM narrative is a lie. This the the national breakdown by race for 2016 up through September (when I grabbed the data).

White 376 (45%)
    unreported 78 (9%)
    Black 206 (24%)
    Indigenous 21 (2%)
    Latino 142 (17%)
    Pac. Islander 6 (1%)
    Asian 10 (1%)
    Other 2 (0%)

I have it broken down by state too. In CA (for example) twice as many Latinos died in police encounters than blacks.

If you want to look at my data, it here: http://blog.daviddemartini.com/archives/date/2016/09
    The thing that would really show the whole story is a breakdown of the number of contacts by race vs. shootings. I think that ratio would end up being pretty consistent across races as well as showing the actual likelihood of being shot by the police is ridiculously low.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    White 376 (45%) Percent of U.S. population: 61.3%
    unreported 78 (9%)
    Black 206 (24%) Percent Of U.S. population: 13.3%
    Indigenous 21 (2%)
    Latino 142 (17%) Percent of U.S. Population: 17.8%
    Pac. Islander 6 (1%)
    Asian 10 (1%)
    Other 2 (0%)

*(my numbers from Google & Wikipedia - I’ve treated Hispanic/Latino as a “race” and not as an ethnicity (which can confuse how numbers are considered/counted).

Now, without getting into the blame game of what causes what (lower education levels/fewer job opportunities/more out-of-wedlock babies/etc./etc./etc.), the facts are:
    Blacks 13% of the population but shot 24% of the time.
    Whites 61% of the population but shot only 45% of the time.
    Latinos 18% of the population & shot 17% of the time.
    Other/unreported 8% of the population but shot 13% of the time.

Mildly interesting? Mostly I’m reminded of Mark Twain’s famous quote; something about there being: “lies, damn lies, and statistics”. OR maybe it’s just a case of, when threatened with arrest and handcuffs, “Whites” just inherently have more sense than to lower their head and charge headlong into somebody holding a pistol on them?

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    *(my numbers from Google & Wikipedia - I’ve treated Hispanic/Latino as a “race” and not as an ethnicity (which can confuse how numbers are considered/counted).

Now, without getting into the blame game of what causes what (lower education levels/fewer job opportunities/more out-of-wedlock babies/etc./etc./etc.), the facts are:
    Blacks 13% of the population but shot 24% of the time.
    Whites 61% of the population but shot only 45% of the time.
    Latinos 18% of the population & shot 17% of the time.
    Other/unreported 8% of the population but shot 13% of the time.

Mildly interesting? Mostly I’m reminded of Mark Twain’s famous quote; something about there being: “lies, damn lies, and statistics”. OR maybe it’s just a case of, when threatened with arrest and handcuffs, “Whites” just inherently have more sense than to lower their head and charge headlong into somebody holding a pistol on them?

Now add in the crime rate for each, which will tell more of the story.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Now add in the crime rate for each, which will tell more of the story.

Yeah, my underlining assumption (rightly or wrongly) is that in some fashion the rate of shootings parallels the rate of crime. Obviously there are lots of (most) crimes committed that don’t lead to shootings but I’m talking about ratios being roughly equivalent. (But as I said, perhaps that’s not a good assumption).

The total rate of crime, or as TheDan said in his posting, the total number of contacts would ultimately shed light on the true numbers. Unfortunately, those numbers are the very hardest to obtain (assuming you’re trying to get accurate data).

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    :peace:

Attachments

• nfl.jpg
      nfl.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 136

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah, my underlining assumption (rightly or wrongly) is that in some fashion the rate of shootings parallels the rate of crime. Obviously there are lots of (most) crimes committed that don’t lead to shootings but I’m talking about ratios being roughly equivalent. (But as I said, perhaps that’s not a good assumption).

The total rate of crime, or as TheDan said in his posting, the total number of contacts would ultimately shed light on the true numbers. Unfortunately, those numbers are the very hardest to obtain (assuming you’re trying to get accurate data).

that underlying assumption is inaccurate. The arrest rate is much higher, as I recall from a couple of years back. So as a percentage of arrests, there is no validity to the argument that blacks constitute a disproportionate percentage of those killed by police.

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    I'm just going to leave these here.

YTkUswT.jpg

Pr6OTWK.jpg
    I'd have an issue with a confederate flag demonstration during a football game too..whats your point?

Mine is, politics have no place I the workplace.

As for the respect the flag argument...those are all valid arguments. Now make them outside of a football game and you'll get no bitch from me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Amazi

I hate Sig Sauer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I hate to break it to you, but you have done so involuntarily as the NFL is partially funded thru our tax $.
    Yeah but least here in MN they use it for other events also that I do like, such as concert's, dirt bike racing and fmx, I believe the x games was hosted there in the summer, monster truck events, ect

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah but least here in MN they use it for other events also that I do like, such as concert's, dirt bike racing and fmx, I believe the x games was hosted there in the summer, monster truck events, ect
    Oh? And how much return on tax money used to construct it has the average Minnesotan enjoyed? Most all stadiums used by the NFL are also used for other events.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom