• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    We need to do a meetup at the Salt Lick one of these days. That would be cool.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Went to Blacks (Terry Blacks) today in Austin.

It was incredible, and their setup/workflow is pretty ingenious. Terry seems to have learned from the mistakes of the old school, with his line being a lot more like Rudy's.

No wait at all, and the brisket was nearly as good as Franklin. The beef rib was incredible, and the sides were worth the real estate on the plate. lol.

Side note:

Happened to be wearing my Franklin's shirt, and a big, friendly, Bruce Campbell lookin' guy walked up to me and said "Hey, one of the owners is over there, and he might like to see your shirt!" I replied, "I won't get kicked out for it, will I?" and laughed.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

Happened to be wearing my Franklin's shirt, and a big, friendly, Bruce Campbell lookin' guy walked up to me and said "Hey, one of the owners is over there, and he might like to see your shirt!" I replied, "I won't get kicked out for it, will I?" and laughed.

That can be a good way to get a free T-shirt...OR...a messed up order! :)

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin

Side note:

Would he rather you be wearing a Blacks shirt eating Franklin BBQ or wearing a Franklin shirt wearing eating his BBQ?

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Can't really add to where the best BBQ in Texas may be, because I have not found it yet. Spent 11 years as a judge for a couple national contests so I do know what I prefer, and North Main in Euless is average at best. Maybe they used to be good, but not worth a drive these days. Hard Eight in Roanoke is not bad if you're in the area. Liked Blacks, Angelo's was good.

Been spending time in Waxahachie. Any good places near there?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well I am no judge other than what I eat. I have eaten BBQ across America and across the world. When I travel, I look to see if there is any BBQ joints in the cities I pass thru. Ate at one joint that was rated by judges at in the top 10 in the US, been in business since the 40's. My wife (from London England) said this tastes horrible, I agreed and between the 2 of us, we ribs, beef, pork, sausage to capture all the flavors. Neither of us finished and thru it out as we walked past all the magazines articles and trophies for great BBQ. And of course there is Kansas city, yea still trying to find world class BBQ there and flew in the KC ever week on business for a couple of years.

Best I have had in years has been LA BBQ in Austin (old location), eaten there 4, maybe 5 times. They have moved and I have not been back to their new location.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm no judge either. But I can usually tell what kind of wood it was smoked with. My personal top 5:

Louie Mueller in Taylor
    Luling Citymarket
    Opies BBQ in Spicewood
    Coopers in Llano (except the brisket)
    Blacks BBQ

Top Bottom