I’m thinking about buying a 44 spec revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I had one of the 629 3inch barrel guns.
    I’m gonna tell you that things was s CHUNK of steel.
    Fun as heck to shoot but it’ll give you a hernia carrying it around.

Txhighlander

In the end is where we begin.
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Cass county Texas
    I had a 3" 629 that I carried in my youth. Having a 696 5 shot l-frame 44 special, it is much nicer to carry than the 629. I don't know if they make a 69 in a 3".

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I think carrying 44 mag is a bad idea. That's a lot of recoil to manage in normal conditions much less in a stressful situation. 44 spcl will put a good hurting on anybody, mag is overkill unless you are worried about grizzlies.

Tex929rr

Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I really like 44 special. I’ve reloaded it for years with a 240 grain SWC. I have two handguns chambered for it. The first was is a scandium Night Guard. It’s so light that it’s a little uncomfortable to shoot. Last year I finally found a GP100 on gunbroker. Bigger and heavier than the Smith but a lot more pleasant to shoot.
    IMG_4820.jpeg

Txhighlander

Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Cass county Texas
    While you may find this hard to believe, I have shot the 44 special in my 696 and a friend's GP100 back to back same loads. The lighter 696 was less recoil and much more pleasant to shoot. Same experience with a 4.2"Redhawk and my 625 4" mountain gun in 45 Colt. Had 2 friends there that experienced the same. The only thing that I figure is the S&W has a lower bore center.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’ve reloaded it for years with a 240 grain SWC.
    Has anybody ever experimented with reloading those "Manstopper" bullets? I've occasionally seen them. They're basically cup-nose, pure/soft lead wadcutters. It seems like every time I get an urge to work with them, I can't find a supplier with any in stock. I'm wondering if they're worth the trouble for a potential carry gun.

Tex929rr

Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Has anybody ever experimented with reloading those "Manstopper" bullets? I've occasionally seen them. They're basically cup-nose, pure/soft lead wadcutters. It seems like every time I get an urge to work with them, I can't find a supplier with any in stock. I'm wondering if they're worth the trouble for a potential carry gun.
    Like these? I did some googling and it looks like it’s primarily a black powder supplier.
    Bandit Bullets

Attachments

• IMG_4822.png
      IMG_4822.png
      192.4 KB · Views: 51

Txhighlander

Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Cass county Texas
    Are talking about hollow base wadcutters?

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Are talking about hollow base wadcutters?
    I remember back in the 70's people used to reload hollow base wadcutters backwards making a giant hollow point. Hell they may still be doing it today, I don't know because I haven't reloaded since the early 2000's. I never tried it but I used to reload for everything that I shot though and must have had over 30 different die sets.

Last edited:

Roscoe

Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Gun at top of photo is my S&W 624, lower gun is my 629. Thinking of having the barrel of the 624 shortened to 4.5" or 5" just to make it a bit easier to carry. Both are excellent shooting firearms.

Attachments

• sw_62411.jpg
      sw_62411.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 50

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Hi and yes get a 44 mag you can shoot 44 special in it. i have a model 29 with 4 inch barrel and a very nice gun to shoot hardly any kik with the 44 special
    But then you have a 44 mag and not a 44 Special. Sometimes people like to have a designated caliber/gun.
    I've had several 44 mags and never a 44 special. I no longer have the Mags and would love to have a Special.

Same goes for 38s and 357s.

Top Bottom