Texas SOT

I’m thinking about buying a 44 spec revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    What is the model 624 (or model 24) frame size?

... Surely it is larger than a k-frame, right?

Because as others have mentioned, why not get a 44 mag?

I believe the model 69 is an L-frame 44 mag - more easily concealed carry than a model 29 anyway.

Then there's the model 96, as previously mentioned, which IIRC is 44spl and available as an AirLite scandium frame with titanium cylinder.
    624 is an N frame, one with a round butt might be hard to find. I think that there was only a special edition 29 made with a round butt in 1985 (I do see some performance center in the current catalog but no 44 special offerings however).

@xdmikey sorry to hear the news.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    You've posted that pic a few times. I got curious about that knife.
    I learned it is known as an "Elmer Kieth Skinner".
    The original was made by Hibben.
    Pretty cool old blade.
    Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do. I don't even remember where I found it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do. I don't even remember where I found it.

I came across something about them researching knives from the 1960’s.
    If I read it right those knives were made in Japan and were given out for subscribers to Guns&Ammo magazine.
    Still an interesting blade.

Roscoe

Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have a 6" model 624 that I really love. Not exactly a ccw, but I have worn it under a shirttail or vest to a few bbq's. It came with a smooth and "light" trigger. I have a couple K rounds from Georgia-Arms, and several hundred mid-range wadcutters from Powder River. It's one of the smoothest shooting, and most accurate handguns I own.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I picked this one up during the Trump years, pre-covid. We were awash in affordable guns and ammo and I don't think these sold very well for Ruger. I bought this one on sale for less than $600, because I got tired of the emails and I was casting a lot of 44 bullets at the time.
    5b3c2cc0a096baf6a7577b5f9401ede9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    That unfluted cylinder is peak aesthetics

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    624 is an N frame, one with a round butt might be hard to find. I think that there was only a special edition 29 made with a round butt in 1985 (I do see some performance center in the current catalog but no 44 special offerings however).
    More than one 'smith out there will convert any N-frame to a round butt.

But a .44 Special for carry (I'm still not sure if this thread is about carry pieces or not) is probably best covered by a 296 - round butt, L-frame of Scandium, titanium cylinder. Hits all the high points for a snubby to be carried. Except for the fact that it's so dadgum ugly.

Personally, I'd like a 396 Airlite Ti (not the Night Guard). You get an extra inch of barrel and adjustable sights. I might even spring for 2, with the sights on the second changed out to a fixed rear and bead front. After taking out the two parts of the revolver most prone to snagging on clothing, it would make a lovely carry gun.

I wish I had money to burn, too. Now, back to the real world I go...

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I've got a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 S&W Special. Nice revolver. Seems well made. Shoots well. Mine is not from the current Charter Arms company but from the original one and was manufactured in the early 1970s.

1695869405305.jpeg

1695869432965.jpeg

My first shots with it were okay. The first target shows five rounds fired at seven yards, the second target was 10 shots at 10 yards. I was shooting PMC Bronze ammo, 180 grain, JHP. (The 22 LR shots on the first target were out of a Marlin Papoose at 15 yards.)

1695869503957.jpeg

1695869538006.jpeg

Ammo is out there. Price is high compared to some other calibers but the price has come down considerably over the past 6 months to a year.

I picked up mine at an auction at a decent but not great price.

A Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 SPL was the gun of choice for the Son Of Sam killer David Berkowitz. While Berkowitz used a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 SPL it was not the same variation as mine as far as I am aware.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I got talked out of it OR dissuaded from it!

44 mag is a better choice and I was talked out of the Charter Arms.

I need to list a couple .22 Ruger autos and get some cash going.
    But a 44 mag is Not a better choice it's just an option.
    That's like saying a 45acp is a better choice over a 45 Colt.
    Or just get an 06 and down load it to have a 308.

All different creatures.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    But a 44 mag is Not a better choice it's just an option.
    That's like saying a 45acp is a better choice over a 45 Colt.
    Or just get an 06 and down load it to have a 308.

All different creatures.
    To many choices, or not enough?
    A model 28 Highway Patrolman just showed up at my ffl with my name on it, new w/o box for $900!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    How many of you all know that Smith makes a five shot L frame 44mag AND a six shot N frame(what I'm looking for)with a three inch barrel!

Top Bottom