• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Apr 23, 2013
    Yup, you will probably get one chance to get off x number of shots. Any failure and yup - you done. For LEGAL SD event.
    ARJ Defense ad

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Can anyone cite any example of a defensive shooting that required more than one mag by the civilian involved? I thought Ayoob had looked into that at one time and found it had never happened.

Paul Harrell has said it is either never occurred or so extremely rare that it's not even something that can be found through research, and I'd trust Paul on this.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Paul Harrell has said it is either never occurred or so extremely rare that it's not even something that can be found through research, and I'd trust Paul on this.

Watch the videos on the Active Self-Protection YT Channel. You'll see enough malfunction issues there to make carrying a spare mag as a spare part a necessary component....

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So statistically, it's incredibly unlikely that I'd need more than one magazine in a self defense scenario. So some would tell me I don't need a spare mag on me.

Statistically, it's even more unlikely that I'd have a malfunction, or be able to clear one and still defend myself in a self defense scenario. So some would tell me I don't need a spare mag on me.

Statistically, though, it's extremely unlikely I'll ever find myself in a self-defense scenario where I need to draw my pistol, much less pull the trigger. So would you tell me I don't need to carry a pistol as well?

I'll go armed and with at least one spare mag, thanks. And I'll advocate for others to be prepared for the unlikely as well. Because I'm not willing to place my well-being in the hands of statistics.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Watch the videos on the Active Self-Protection YT Channel. You'll see enough malfunction issues there to make carrying a spare mag as a spare part a necessary component....
    Yet Active Self Protection is clear about the fact that civilian shootings are over almost instantly. The bad guys run away. It's not your job to stick around, etc.

Their bottom line advice is that no one who isn't required to carry a gun for their job needs to carry any spare ammo. They claim to have reviewed over 10,000 videos of self-defense shootings and have never seen one where a "civilian" needed a reload. Never.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yet Active Self Protection is clear about the fact that civilian shootings are over almost instantly. The bad guys run away. It's not your job to stick around, etc.

Their bottom line advice is that no one who isn't required to carry a gun for their job needs to carry any spare ammo. They claim to have reviewed over 10,000 videos of self-defense shootings and have never seen one where a "civilian" needed a reload. Never.

So, maybe it has never happened, maybe it's just never been caught on video or had a video made about it. I know of a few instances where an armed citizen defending themselves ran out of ammo, though. And assuming their assertion is true, it just means it hasn't happened yet. I'd rather not be the first one to need a reload, but if I am, I'm damn sure going to have one on me.

Plus, a full mag on the opposite side of my belt helps distribute the weight of the pistol better.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

And yet... Murphy's law applies. To me anyway. Otherwise I agree with the history, but I carry a gun just in case, it don't hurt me to carry a spare mag or two.

All in all, the best protection is not to violate the laws of stupid, don't get involved if you don't have to, and run away if you can.

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    This is a commonly asked question, how much is ammo is enough? Springfield Amory wrote up an article on this and even featured Magholder, let us know what you think below.

I carry one backup mag on me, and there are four more in my vehicle in my get-home bag. If I am more than 50 miles from home, there's going to be a rifle and ammo in the vehicle as well as seasonal get-home stuff & boots.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Not as a reload....but a spare part. Plenty of videos on ASP (good guys or perps) where a malfunction was bad enough or a mag fell out of the gun. A spare mag is the quickest way to remedy that.

In the days of magazine safeties, a lot of LEOs would drop the mag on their duty pistol during a struggle with a perp to prevent the perp from using the gun against them. When the LEO got the gun back, the spare mag was easier to find than the one jettisoned.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Plenty of videos on ASP (good guys or perps) where a malfunction was bad enough or a mag fell out of the gun
    True. Yet that doesn't change their observation. (They don't really advise not carrying spare ammo; they just say it's not needed.) Even if it's the good guy who loses his magazine, just getting the gun out and firing one shot always causes the bad guys to scatter like roaches when the light comes on.

I can think of cases they've shown where a reload could have been necessary if the fight had continued, e.g. the vehicle-to-vehicle shooting that happened with the victim in the new Ford Lightning. The good guy was stuck because the active safety systems in the truck shut down the truck rather than allow him to ram the vehicle in front or jump a curb to escape the incoming bullets. He was stuck and couldn't move. He might have conceivably needed a great volume of continuing fire if the bad guys had gotten out of their vehicle to finish the job. But that didn't happen. The bad guys emptied their guns, hitting nothing that they wanted to hit, and then peeled outta there.

In civilian street shootings, no one ever wants to stick around long enough for anyone to reload.

Big caveat - If the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel ever manages to gain a foothold in Texas, their modus operandi will cause me to reject my current way of thinking. We'll see long firefights because they really, really love sticking around and killing lots of people. If that happens, I'll stop carrying zero reloads and start carrying more than one.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    "Nobody has ever needed a reload in a self-defense situation..." sounds a lot like "We have plenty of lifeboats! Besides, no ship this size has ever needed lifeboats anyway..."

titanic.jpg

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

FBI states that 2.4 shots per shoot out is the average....

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    True. Yet that doesn't change their observation. (They don't really advise not carrying spare ammo; they just say it's not needed.) Even if it's the good guy who loses his magazine, just getting the gun out and firing one shot always causes the bad guys to scatter like roaches when the light comes on.

I can think of cases they've shown where a reload could have been necessary if the fight had continued, e.g. the vehicle-to-vehicle shooting that happened with the victim in the new Ford Lightning. The good guy was stuck because the active safety systems in the truck shut down the truck rather than allow him to ram the vehicle in front or jump a curb to escape the incoming bullets. He was stuck and couldn't move. He might have conceivably needed a great volume of continuing fire if the bad guys had gotten out of their vehicle to finish the job. But that didn't happen. The bad guys emptied their guns, hitting nothing that they wanted to hit, and then peeled outta there.

In civilian street shootings, no one ever wants to stick around long enough for anyone to reload.

Big caveat - If the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel ever manages to gain a foothold in Texas, their modus operandi will cause me to reject my current way of thinking. We'll see long firefights because they really, really love sticking around and killing lots of people. If that happens, I'll stop carrying zero reloads and start carrying more than one.
    1701358529064.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

See, I'd rather not be the guy who gets flat-footed when someone finally goes apeshit like that.

Top Bottom