Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's been at least 15 years since I've been to ASC. Went to the web site and couldn't find the range rules.

So, for anyone who is actually familiar with the place as it runs these days, a few questions.

• What's the fee structure?
      • If it's per-gun, that kinda defeats the whole purpose and I'd just as soon sit this one out.
    • Is rapid fire allowed?
      • I've got a 9mm carbine with a Slide-Fire stock I'd like to shoot but if faux-auto fire isn't allowed, I'll pull the dot sight off it and stick it on one of my pistols.
    • Are there target restrictions? Can I bring my own?
    • Do they still have a plate rack?
    • Do they restrict pistols to some arbitrary maximum yardage?
    • Is it possible to set up a chronograph?
      • If so, I'll test mine to make sure they're still working and bring 'em along. I have a Shooting Chrony I'll let anybody use and an Oehler that no one shoots across but me. ;)

I'm a tentative yes for attending at this point. My sis has health problems that can unexpectedly cause me to be stuck at home but I'd sure like to make it. If I do, I'll bring pistols, revolvers, ammo, and targets in as much bulk as I can manage.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It's been at least 15 years since I've been to ASC. Went to the web site and couldn't find the range rules.

So, for anyone who is actually familiar with the place as it runs these days, a few questions.

• What's the fee structure?
      • If it's per-gun, that kinda defeats the whole purpose and I'd just as soon sit this one out.
    • Is rapid fire allowed?
      • I've got a 9mm carbine with a Slide-Fire stock I'd like to shoot but if faux-auto fire isn't allowed, I'll pull the dot sight off it and stick it on one of my pistols.
    • Are there target restrictions? Can I bring my own?
    • Do they still have a plate rack?
    • Do they restrict pistols to some arbitrary maximum yardage?
    • Is it possible to set up a chronograph?
      • If so, I'll test mine to make sure they're still working and bring 'em along. I have a Shooting Chrony I'll let anybody use and an Oehler that no one shoots across but me. ;)

I'm a tentative yes for attending at this point. My sis has health problems that can unexpectedly cause me to be stuck at home but I'd sure like to make it. If I do, I'll bring pistols, revolvers, ammo, and targets in as much bulk as I can manage.

No rapid fire
    Only paper targets without human faces
    No plate rack that I recall seeing
    Yeah you can set up a chrony on rifle and maybe pistol. How big?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah you can set up a chrony on rifle and maybe pistol. How big?
    Small, though a tad clumsy until they're set up. Both units just sit atop a regular camera tripod, usually about 10 feet past the firing line.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And fee structure is $15 per person (includes one gun) and $5 for every additional gun I believe.
    Bummer.

Places that nickel-and-dime the customer like that bug me. One range I know with this kind of fee structure charges additional $ per gun AND per shooter, meaning that lending a pistol to someone else to try incurs an additional charge. As a general rule, I don't go to places like that.

Count me "Tentative but unlikely" until I can call ASC and confirm costs.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Bummer.

Places that nickel-and-dime the customer like that bug me. One range I know with this kind of fee structure charges additional $ per gun AND per shooter, meaning that lending a pistol to someone else to try incurs an additional charge. As a general rule, I don't go to places like that.

Count me "Tentative but unlikely" until I can call ASC and confirm costs.

I'll agree that its a bit lame but it still works out to be cheaper than most of the other ranges in the area if you aren't bringing a crazy amount of guns.

I live in the country and shoot for free so any range is technically an unnecessary expense for me. I figure an hour and a half drive and $25-30 every once and awhile in exchange for getting to meet other members and shoot with like minded people is worth it though.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...$25-30...
    Interesting price range. I take it to mean that it translates to $15 to get in, plus another $10 or $15 to bring in an additional 2 or 3 guns at $5 each. Is that right? If so, I can live with that.

However, I know a place that (at one time, at least) restricted that to just one shooter. As soon as I let a buddy borrow a pistol, that becomes an additional pistol on HIS entry and the range says he owes another $5. IOW, if 5 guys show up with one gun apiece, they pay just 5 range fees. But if everybody shoots everybody else's gun, that's 4 additional guns for each shooter and the range wants *20* "additional gun" fees. At least, that's the way this particular range tried to soak me and some friends about a decade ago and it's the reason I've only shot there twice since. (Both were emergencies where I *had* to get a pistol zeroed at 50 yards today so I could go to a competition tomorrow. As I get older, I try not to leave things to the last minute so much.)

As long as ASC doesn't want me to pay an additional $5 per gun AND per person, I should be OK.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    It pisses me off too. I edited my post and sending the edited part via PM.

As for bump fire and rapid fire. Anytime someone complains about these sort of things, I have to ask... Where do you shoot that fits all the criteria you listed above? Trust me, we ain't trying to locate the shittiest place on Earth to shoot. ASC just is mediocre to I think all of us- but there isn't a better option that's been named. We will gladly go anywhere for the chance to shoot with more freedom, including Gatesville. Lol.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Nice Scott. Now the ASC guys are gonna come in here and read that and you just f*cked everyone!! LOL

Now go sit in the corner and thick about what you've done!

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I dunno. It's been years since I've been out there. When I was going out there all the time I was shooting IPSC and USPSA and I just asked Phil what it would take to join. But as I said, It's been years.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom