• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Just moved to Spring.
    Any/best nearby outdoor ranges allow drawing and shooting pistol from concealment, and rifle range to at least 100 yards?
    Thanks!

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Just moved to Spring.
    Any/best nearby outdoor ranges allow drawing and shooting pistol from concealment, and rifle range to at least 100 yards?
    Thanks!

Welcome from one Jared to another. That makes 3 of us in the Houston group. I know a few ranges allow it for supervised classes but can't think of any off the top of my head that allow it during normal range operation. Honestly I'm thankful for that. I really don't want to be standing next to some yahoo trying to draw and reholster when I have no clue how much training or experience he has. Considering most ND's occur when drawing or reholstering I think its a risk that most ranges don't want to take. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me and name someplace that does allow it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Just moved to Spring.
    Thanks!
    What's your definition of nearby or should I say, how far are you willing to drive? I can point you to a place straight up 45 that depending on when you go, you will most likely be alone to do as you please.

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Hopefully within 30 min...I live near the Gander Mountain. But that sounds exactly like what I was looking for.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    Welcome to Spring.
    Shiloh Shooting Range will let you draw. Let them know ahead of time and they will try to accommodate you with a lane that has a hinged shelf which you can lift out of the way.
    Their number is 281-444-8930.
    They are off of FM 1960, east of Willowbrook mall. They charge by the hour but typically don't watch the clock if they don't have a waiting list stacked up.
    pistol calibers only, no magnum loads. They have no "per gun" charge, just the hourly rate. They are cool with you picking up your own brass as well in case you reload.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hopefully within 30 min...I live near the Gander Mountain. But that sounds exactly like what I was looking for.
    30 minutes is no problem. But you'll need an average speed of 165mph, lol.

I'll shoot you a PM, what you do with the info is your choice.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park

Being that close to Gander, have you considered their indoor virtual range? A personal friend of mine oversees their training academy and its a pretty cool setup. They have real handguns with no firing pins and lasers in place of the barrels and CO2 cartridges that actually cycle the slide. Pretty cool when you consider not having to use up ammunition or replace targets. Not really sure if those allow for drawing but it might be worth a call. I'm supposed to go do their 360 degree simulator sometime.

Like I said, Dredge came along to correct me. I'm not insinuating that people shouldn't practice their draw or run live fire exercises btw. I think they should, I just have qualms about it in a crowded public setting. Hopefully someplace can accommodate you and maybe we'll see you at a range day sometime soon.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    Shiloh will let folks draw but they will verify your set-up, etc. in the interest of safety. They will want to make sure a "beginner" doesn't try to act like some action movie dude. :)
    Give Shiloh a call to verify the specifics from them. I shoot there a lot and know how they run things but I don't work there and would not want to speak for them as if I do.
    I have done it there as well as many others but they know me pretty well.
    If you shoot IDPA, they have that on Thursday nights at 7:00 pm. If you want pistol training, they have that on Wednesday nights starting at 7:00 pm instructed by a Green Beret with, I think, coming up on 17 years experience. The Wednesday night class is a blast and all scenarios are from the draw.

Jared, after you do the 360 training at Gander can you post a review?
    I have eyeballed their set-up a few times but never utilized their range.

Last edited:

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Being that close to Gander, have you considered their indoor virtual range? A personal friend of mine oversees their training academy and its a pretty cool setup. They have real handguns with no firing pins and lasers in place of the barrels and CO2 cartridges that actually cycle the slide. Pretty cool when you consider not having to use up ammunition or replace targets. Not really sure if those allow for drawing but it might be worth a call. I'm supposed to go do their 360 degree simulator sometime.

Like I said, Dredge came along to correct me. I'm not insinuating that people shouldn't practice their draw or run live fire exercises btw. I think they should, I just have qualms about it in a crowded public setting. Hopefully someplace can accommodate you and maybe we'll see you at a range day sometime soon.

I had not really looked into it...I went in once and guns/ammo prices were higher than I cared for and saw the simulator but no one was using it. Sort of assumed the price for it must be rather steep.

I agree, I've seen my share of gun handling that made me pack up early. That is why I was hoping to find an uncrowded, outdoor range, they are usually the best for this. Luckily, early mornings and weekdays are not an issue at the moment.

Thanks for the help! I do hope to make an upcoming Range Day.

treiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Welcome to spring. I live right behind you off Aldine Westfield. I usually go to carters country or the range at gun emporium or thunder gun range. I think you can get a bay at thunder and do what ever you want if you talk to the guys there.

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Howdy,

I moved to Houston from a strange land called California just last month. I'm off 1960 between 249 and 45. Figure I could do to actually meet some people outside of work.

Top Bottom