• ...and so much more!
  • Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    @Renegade
    With the assumption that both bills clear the Senate, what are your thoughts on court challenges and do they have any chance at all in overturning any parts of the bills as they stand right now. I'm guessing some of the language may change before a final vote is cast.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Seems, in this thread, there was/is some confusion as to Senate votes required to pass the bill. According to Politico the vote count required is 60. Beyond that, as noted in post #81, rest assured there will be court challenges to the bill as written.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Seems, in this thread, there was/is some confusion as to Senate votes required to pass the bill. According to Politico the vote count required is 60. Beyond that, as noted in post #81, rest assured there will be court challenges to the bill as written.

Fail civics??? Majority rules, 51. Unless a filibuster is used, then it takes 60 votes to break a filibuster so that the majority rule can apply.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    This site is simply amazing! Is it in the forum rules somewhere that before you can add content to a reply you must first insult or otherwise degrade the person you're responding to? Guess some feel threatened - I dunno. The point was this bill is not going to hit the Senate floor get 50+1 votes and sail merrily to Residents Biden's desk for his signature!!!

Don't ever recall taking a civics class and therein lies the problem. Thanks for asking!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Regarding compliance on a national level... we have some experience with UBC here in both Oregon and Washington states. After they passed those laws there was a period of non-compliance, followed by what I can only assume is a very high level of compliance.

The reason I think that, is because we don't see any news articles about people being busted for outlaw sales. Either it's not happening very much, or there is no effort to enforce those laws. Heck, a pastor over on the left side of the state illegally gave away (transferred) an AR that he had won, and tho it was heavily publicized, he was never prosecuted. But you can bet your sweet bippy that if he was some redneck, he'd have been on the hot seat.

Also, the gun boards are extremely careful/hostile to anybody mentioning a clandestine sale. Because there is a lot to lose, and you just don't know who is who.

In Idaho, most classified ads state that the will only sell to a concealed carry license holder... more protection for the seller. They don't currently have a Universal Background Check law.

Many people that I talk to on the Western states gun boards have stopped selling guns privately. It's just too much hassle to have to meet up with the buyer at an FFL to do the BGC (seller is required to show up and both must give copy of ID) and fill out paperwork. Especially in rural areas where travel distances are long. Not all sellers. But most of the casual sales. I no longer sell my guns, I give them to my younger relatives because family is exempt from the state laws.

In Washington state, their is an additional 10 day wait. That really kills private sales because the seller has to meet the buyer for both the BGC and for the actual transfer. Long distance private sales are now rare. But interstate sales seem to thrive.

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    And how would they force a registration?

They won't need to have everybody come in or send in paperwork. They know that will have a high rate of non=compliance, just like in other countries.

Stealth registration is what they are after. With all future sales needing a BGC and a 4473, all they have to do is keep the data, they do this illegally already in Oregon, and they will have a de-facto registration that continues out into the future. Not all guns, because not all will go thru the system, but enough to make them think they are "doing something" about guns.

It is so sad that I lost all my guns in that tragic boating accident!!

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Dear Senator,
    I am urging you to hold fast to your campaign promise to protect the filibuster. I profoundly agree with your efforts to maintain a sense of bipartisanship in the Senate. NEITHER side should shove legislation through without even a whisper of unity or compromise.
    I hope you will continue to choose to do what is fair and just for the country, as you have promised to do.
    Regards,

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Hawk
    9310ef1b4d6be3ca1804c8670d0975c1.jpg
    3e1037729316a50e61343bfd37bdaead.jpg
    ceac2920fd25da3780afad7b35571078.jpg
    d4d941eba4a5382c24eaf164e97c331d.jpg
    17b1f9e2f17a3b786ccc2ea9b7ed6a37.jpg
    25cc5f91276da0023100a89081e5865c.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Getting a background check done will be mandatory in most cases, there is no exemption in this bill for LTC holders.
    Honestly you may be right and I may have spoke to soon... My brain is locked on Texas law.. But I've not read the actual bill, so who the heck knows what the final verbiage and law will be....

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Getting a background check done will be mandatory in most cases, there is no exemption in this bill for LTC holders.

What is you’re rationale? HR 8 strikes 18 USC 922 (s) and then renames 18 USC 922 (t) as (s). The current exemption is 18 USC 922 (t) 3 for license holders doesn’t seem to be struck anywhere else in HR 8.

Text of HR 8: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/8/text

18 USC 922: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

My reading may not be right because I’m trying to match it all up to the code.

Reactions: gll

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What is you’re rationale? HR 8 strikes 18 USC 922 (s) and then renames 18 USC 922 (t) as (s). The current exemption is 18 USC 922 (t) 3 for license holders doesn’t seem to be struck anywhere else in HR 8.

Hard to read, but it appears (t)(3) is rewritten without the LTC Bypass.

“(3) (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this subsection with regulations.
    “(B) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision requiring licensees to facilitate transfers in accordance with paragraph (1).
    “(C) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision requiring persons not licensed under this chapter to keep records of background checks or firearms transfers.
    “(D) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision placing a cap on the fee licensees may charge to facilitate transfers in accordance with paragraph (1).
    “(E) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph shall include, in the case of a background check conducted by the national instant criminal background check system in response to a contact from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, which background check indicates that the receipt of a firearm by a person would violate subsection (g)(5), a requirement that the system notify U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Last edited:

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Went and used my LTC today.
    In and out under an hr total.
    Left with this bad boy.
    586a3a732cf8d9e637e0a35568ef7022.jpg