Join TexasGunTalk

Heritage Arms

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by SloppyShooter, Aug 20, 2018.

1. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Anyone have any experience with these cheap .22 revolvers. I can pick up a used one super cheap.

Just for a snicker ,I was looking at a new one at Academy ( comes with an extra .22mag cylinder for around $180), and the guy says: "Yeah , single shot ." Ummmm....don't you mean single action? LOL.

Buckshot Wade likes this.
  2. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My son has one. Has minute of barn accuracy.

Sam7sf likes this.
  3. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought one on Black Friday. Shot a coon in the head at 30' on Saturday. Mine is pretty accurate.

I liked it so much I bought three more.

SloppyShooter likes this.
  4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yup. I have 3 or 4. Fun to shoot and fairly accurate. Make sure all the screws are tight. They were all loose on all mine. I got the magnum cylinders with each one I got. Usually what I shoot in them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter likes this.
  5. Buckshot Wade

Buckshot Wade Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I've owned three over the years. The model I have now is a tight and precise shooter. Got a 4 5/8" as shorter sight radius helps my old eyes a bit.

My personal views of the weapon.

The frame is an alloy. No problem there, it's well built and quite strong fo the cartridge. It is painted. Again not an issue as many guns are painted today. The barrel, cylinder, and such are deeply blued and well machined.
    But use caution with what you clean and oil it with. Do not use nitro solvents like Hoppe's #9 on it as you'll damage the painted frame.
    Personally, I clean mine with Rig#2 oil. It doesn't effect painted weapons and does a more than adequate job of cleaning and preserving the weapon.

The timing, assembly, and finish are well done. The "lawsuit safety" on the left side of the frame is unsightly, but you learn to overlook it in time.

Heritage has some interesting grips available for aftermarket sales. Some cool ones on production guns as well. Mine sports a weathered American flag that is right up my patriotic alley. :)

Conclusion; the Heritage revolvers are well made. As accurate as the old Colt Frontier Scout I once had. And represents a good product for a reasonable price.
    As to the loose screws, as a retired gunsmith I'll make this statement:
    All guns vibrate when fired. All screws are effected. Often they will back out as a result. It is both prudent and smart when cleaning any firearm, especially a revolver with multiple screws as a single action, to tighten ALL screws. This practice is an integral part of my cleaning of my weapons. If one doesn't have some decent hollow ground drivers in their kit, get some. 0228181734~2_optimized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    seeker_two and deemus like this.
  6. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    I have two. Like them a lot.

7. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I bought two during a Black Friday sale a few years back, loads of fun and great range plinkers but that's about it. Great for folks who've never shot and/or young kids to cut their teeth on. Plus, as mentioned they are a blast to shoot (and cheap!).

They also make nice companion pieces when I take my Henry .22LR lever action to the range to play "Rooster Cogburn!"

308nato and deemus like this.
  8. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Thanks guys. I am a little tempted to get the new with the mag cylinder, but the used has a pawn shop price of $99, so I'm thinking maybe $80 if they want to deal at all.

I think I have plenty of .22 revolvers already until I see I'm at least 3 behind Vaquero.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  9. Buckshot Wade

Buckshot Wade Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Mag cylinders can be found often on eBay. But personally I think a .22mag in a light revolver is overrated. If I require more punch that a .22LR HP I get a bigger pistol.

Now ya got me all worked up to go shoot my .22. See ya.... I'm going to my range out back. :)

majormadmax likes this.
  10. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Well yeah. I "overlook" mine every time I take that first shot. Oh yeah, take the safety off, then pull the trigger.