• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I know (read) the percentage of Texas CHL/LTC holders is around 3% of eligible Texans but I also read on this and other forums many Texans carry on out-of-state permits. Anyone know or care to hazard a guess as to what the "real" percentage is? Inquiring minds and all that...

I do most all my non-grocery shopping online due to living so far out in the sticks and there is no HEB close (over 80 miles) but despite MM's odd vitriol for folks supporting OC I believe they would notice the lack of patronage if we were consistent, backed our opinion with our wallets and let them know about it.
    DK Firearms

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I believe they would notice the lack of patronage if we were consistent, backed our opinion with our wallets and let them know about it.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I don't think the OC crowd is large enough to support that statement, to an enterprise such as HEB. Regardless I support your right to do so. I'm no fan of HE Butts (except for their fajita meat).

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I don't think the OC crowd is large enough to support that statement, to an enterprise such as HEB. Regardless I support your right to do so. I'm no fan of HE Butts (except for their fajita meat).

Yeah we'll have to disagree. Can't find numbers for 2015 CHL but 825,957 (2014) seems like a large number to me, not including all the folks that carry on out-of-state permits. If you figure an average individual grocery budget of $280 / mo (source USDA, moderate 19-50yo) that's about $231,267,960 / mo if my calculator works. As most CHLs are male the number is actually higher, when you consider most of those folks are probably feeding a family the budget goes up substantially. I think that would be noticeable by just about any business.

ETA: HE Butt's two largest competitors - Walmart & Kroger (both permit carry), HEB total revenue $20B (2013)

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

The grocery business runs at about 2-3% profit margins. Small subset changes are clearly noticeable.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yeah we'll have to disagree. Can't find numbers for 2015 CHL but 825,957 (2014) seems like a large number to me, not including all the folks that carry on out-of-state permits. If you figure an average individual grocery budget of $280 / mo (source USDA, moderate 19-50yo) that's about $231,267,960 / mo if my calculator works. As most CHLs are male the number is actually higher, when you consider most of those folks are probably feeding a family the budget goes up substantially. I think that would be noticeable by just about any business.

The grocery business runs at about 2-3% profit margins. Small subset changes are clearly noticeable.
    Not all permitted Texans use HEB. It might be enough on the outer perimeter HEBs, but the city ones, I'm betting, wouldn't see a dip. Just like the Galleria...

Nonetheless, it never hurts to try if it's serious to ya.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I wouldn't think they do but doubt HEB knows or can quantify that. IF (big if) all CHL holders were to show support or if HEB thought they did the potential loss of revenue at the corporate level would be troubling. Problem is we can't even agree on a gun forum, banding together to support a common goal is out of the question.

ETA: closest HEB to me is over 80 miles, I don't shop there but I wrote them I wouldn't, they don't know where I live.

AKmik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    I don't think they will miss a beat if the OC boycotters never stepped foot in their stores again.
    The OC crowd is a very small percentage of the public, a small percentage of gun owners, and a small percentage of those of us who carry. in reality we are talking very small numbers of customers shopping elsewhere.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't think they will miss a beat if the OC boycotters never stepped foot in their stores again.
    The OC crowd is a very small percentage of the public, a small percentage of gun owners, and a small percentage of those of us who carry. in reality we are talking very small numbers of customers shopping elsewhere.

Small numbers in a small margin market with competition have large effects.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Why does someone need to be "part of the OC crowd" in order to support gun rights? Nearly a million CHL holders in Texas carry significant clout but are powerless due to attitudes like this. Sad pathetic state of affairs. "Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me."

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Whistler,

I do NOT plan to OC routinely (except when hunting, fishing & camping) BUT I'm "torgued over" stores that have 30.07 & actively avoid doing business at places that post 30.06 signs.
    (Because the family has a SUV & a F-250 with big LT tires, 2 sedans & 4 antique M-B cars, I buy a LOT of tires. = I stopped one tire place from keeping his 30.06 sign, as after I bought 8 tires at a competitor, I mailed a Xerox of the bill to the "offending store" with a polite handwritten note on "letterhead" that I would NEVER buy any more tires from him if the 30.06 sign remained up. - The next time that I passed by, the sign was DOWN. =====> I suggest that everyone here, that makes major purchases, do the same easy task.)

NOTE: As of today 30DEC15, WELLS FARGO in SA does NOT have "anti-gun rights" signs posted.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm going to continue concealed carry 75% of the time AND still shop at HEB. I'll probably go grab lunch at Wataburger next door first so I'm not shopping on a hungry stomach.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I wouldn't think they do but doubt HEB knows or can quantify that. IF (big if) all CHL holders were to show support or if HEB thought they did the potential loss of revenue at the corporate level would be troubling. Problem is we can't even agree on a gun forum, banding together to support a common goal is out of the question.

ETA: closest HEB to me is over 80 miles, I don't shop there but I wrote them I wouldn't, they don't know where I live.

Why do you think all CHLers are going to support the OC position? Thats a statement without support.

Exactly.

[FONT]
    C:\Users\jfrazell\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
    Originally Posted by AKmik [/FONT][FONT] [/FONT][FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT]I don't think they will miss a beat if the OC boycotters never stepped foot in their stores again.
    The OC crowd is a very small percentage of the public, a small percentage of gun owners, and a small percentage of those of us who carry. in reality we are talking very small numbers of customers shopping elsewhere.[/FONT]
    [FONT]Small numbers in a small margin market with competition have large effects.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT] [/FONT]
    [FONT]Agreed, but the numbers are so small as to be deminimis. I know my one man protest of HE Butts’ horrible layout has not worked…;)[/FONT]
    [FONT] [/FONT]
    [FONT]Time will tell whether you are correct or I am correct. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Why do you think all CHLers are going to support the OC position? Thats a statement without support.[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

I said IF (even capitalized it) but never in a million years thought they would. See I have this weird thing where I think any victory for gun freedom benefits us all and we should all stand together even if it's not something you personally care about. How weird is that?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Yep thats pretty weird. :clown:

It was a victory, but the rights of property owners to do what they wish is also a key right to me. Legally mandated signs are an effective compromise that protects all rights. I'm actually surprised at the number of locations putting up signs but I imagine that will fade over time unless the OCT crowd continues to unleash Snowboots and Banana Hammock Man.

Considering the few issues we've had with CHLs and 30.06 sign trespass, its purely my opinion but it appears to be working well, and once the hysteria dies down we can move forward further to more Constitutional based carry.

IF I were really celebrating I'd tour the UT Austin campus when that becomes legal with my nice CC and M&Pc with a shirt that says "CHLers rule, foam at mouth hysterical antigun professors drool." Ok that sounds like a good idea actually...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Yep thats pretty weird. :clown:

It was a victory, but the rights of property owners to do what they wish is also a key right to me. Legally mandated signs are an effective compromise that protects all rights. I'm actually surprised at the number of locations putting up signs but I imagine that will fade over time unless the OCT crowd continues to unleash Snowboots and Banana Hammock Man.

Considering the few issues we've had with CHLs and 30.06 sign trespass, its purely my opinion but it appears to be working well, and once the hysteria dies down we can move forward further to more Constitutional based carry.

IF I were really celebrating I'd tour the UT Austin campus when that becomes legal with my nice CC and M&Pc with a shirt that says "CHLers rule, foam at mouth hysterical antigun professors drool." Ok that sounds like a good idea actually...

I agree they have the right to put up signs, I agree you have the right/choice to go elsewhere, the flip side is you also have the right to leverage your purchasing power to encourage property owners to remove those signs. One battle won, the war rages on.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Exactly, if people who support OC are "offended" by 30.07 signs, they have every right to let the "offending" source know!

Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit!

Top Bottom