• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Way too often I see these types of comments in response to news articles when a person defends themselves with a firearm.

It makes gun owners look like a lynch mob when it happens and it's irrational\bad\evil.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]If you are carrying a gun for the opportunity to shoot\kill someone as judge jury and executioner it's time to reevaluate what side of the good guy or bad guy equation you're on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]For normal people killing another human being is a traumatic experience.

Add to that the self doubt and then the risk of a media frenzy, arm chair quarterbacks that second guessing of the decision and actions, special interest groups that may show up outside homes or businesses, being known for that decision and judged by it by anyone who knows what happened.

I don't wish that on anyone.

If someone survives a violent or possible life treating encounter with a bad guy it's a good enough day without calling for the already unfortunate circumstances to involve a homicide.

So less blood lust and bravado and more rational thinking about the stakes involved once deadly force is justified.
    [/FONT]
    Texas SOT

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    For most people, living with killing someone is the hardest part of the act for most decent people. And as cold hearted as I art sometimes, not something I really want to do. But will if necessary and without hesitation. I have a long and storied history of causing injury to myself. But not to others unless attacked and my safety or my families jepordized. To cause injury to another without cause, or because of my stupidity, greed or carelessness is totally unacceptable. But when anyone jepordizes another's safety or life needlessly, they forefit any concern for their own. I have little sympathy for them. Much sympathy for the victim.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This. I had this very conversation with friends in DC last week. They made some comment about having to go get a gun if something happened and I mentioned "not if you always carry - if it goes on like pants and underwear." I got looked at strange, then had to explain that it's not about looking for an excuse - it's about being ready and always waking up with a mindset to avoid the kinds of things that would put you in that situation so you don't paint yourself into a corner either willingly or blindly.

That continued into a discussion about "I don't want to have to, but I would if I had to, and so I'm always mindful and ready" vs. "I carry everywhere because then if I'm somewhere I shouldn't have been and something bad happens, I'm ready."

For the record: I don't ever want to have to shoot someone. That's tangential, however, to "if I'm ever in the position that I have to shoot someone, I would." The difference is in actively avoiding situations that increase the likelihood of having to make that choice/reaction vs. cavalierly walking in with a gun on my hip thinking "I'm able to deal with anything I need to, screw situational awareness and caution."

Where I live, I'm more likely to have to engage a wild animal (and likely a sick one) than a person. :)

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    This. I had this very conversation with friends in DC last week. They made some comment about having to go get a gun if something happened and I mentioned "not if you always carry - if it goes on like pants and underwear." I got looked at strange, then had to explain that it's not about looking for an excuse - it's about being ready and always waking up with a mindset to avoid the kinds of things that would put you in that situation so you don't paint yourself into a corner either willingly or blindly.

That continued into a discussion about "I don't want to have to, but I would if I had to, and so I'm always mindful and ready" vs. "I carry everywhere because then if I'm somewhere I shouldn't have been and something bad happens, I'm ready."

For the record: I don't ever want to have to shoot someone. That's tangential, however, to "if I'm ever in the position that I have to shoot someone, I would." The difference is in actively avoiding situations that increase the likelihood of having to make that choice/reaction vs. cavalierly walking in with a gun on my hip thinking "I'm able to deal with anything I need to, screw situational awareness and caution."

Where I live, I'm more likely to have to engage a wild animal (and likely a sick one) than a person. :)

Good post.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    If you are carrying a gun for the opportunity to shoot\kill someone as judge jury and executioner it's time to reevaluate what side of the good guy or bad guy equation you're on.
    This is not why I carry. I carry to protect my Family and myself. That said I hope I never have to shoot someone in my lifetime. I also hope my Family will never have to shoot someone in their lifetimes. But, If I'am put in the situation I have every intention on killing whomever is threatening any of our lives. I have seen way to many stories of the perp still living after a shooting and their stories/LIES given make it a bad day for the shooter. Not to mention you shoot a perp attacking you, he gets convicted and goes away. When he gets out he possibly has the intention of revenge and blames you for him being locked up. Lastly Yes Iam that guy thinking too bad the perp lived. Society and the criminal justice system has changed for the worse for many reasons, ridding this world of dangerous scumbags is a good thing in my book how ever it is done.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Interesting and good post.

From now on my comments will read

"Prayers to the brave individual that had to make the last resort decision to defend their life with a gun. I can't imagine the mental anguish they are now experiencing."

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Interesting and good post.

From now on my comments will read

"Prayers to the brave individual that had to make the last resort decision to defend their life with a gun. I can't imagine the mental anguish they are now experiencing."
    And for the record, to the perp, he deserves nothing less than end of life experience if his intent was to harm another. But presentation can be changed to reflect better upon us.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    But, If I'am put in the situation I have every intention on killing whomever is threatening any of our lives. [sic] Society and the criminal justice system has changed for the worse for many reasons, ridding this world of dangerous scumbags is a good thing in my book how ever it is done.

This is the danger zone.

Deadly force should be used to "stop" someone. Murder starts when we think "He deserves killing".

Justice is not ours to serve.

There have always been and will always be bad men.

When the sheepdog starts enjoying hunting wolves more than protecting the flock it's hard to tell the two apart. The sense of disgust coupled with unrighteous dominion, no matter how valiant the person, is the short path.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    This is the danger zone.

Deadly force should be used to "stop" someone. Murder starts when we think "He deserves killing".

Justice is not ours to serve.

There have always been and will always be bad men.

When the sheepdog starts enjoying hunting wolves more than protecting the flock it's hard to tell the two apart. The sense of disgust coupled with unrighteous dominion, no matter how valiant the person, is the short path.
    this and only this. I struggle with revenge if something happens to my family. (I would not be any good ) i have a cold heart at times.
    But i pray truly pray that never happens. But then the thought comes to mind, if I did that what separates me from them? We had this conversation a while back iirc inthe chl thread.

It will change your life forever. ...
    I will make a confession, i used to get jumped a lot when i was in school. A block away from me was this family and thugs one and all. Dangerous people. I took a lot of ass whoopins. They stole from me on a regular. I went to uncle Sam in 78. (Just barely meeting the height requirements )well 4yrs later all I wanted was revenge. And it ate me for many years. That i didn't do them in.
    But i finally got over it they got theirs. And when these conversations come up. I think about this. I have never confessed this to anyone. So food for thought be very careful about what you wish for. Because anyone is capable of anything at anytime. ..

And it's just as easy to be on the other side! !!!! Revenge and blood lust is a very very dangerous thing

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    That's exactly what your argument sounds like. "Could've used a taser!"

Shoot to stop the threat. I'm not going to pause in between shots to reasses the threat level. Will I walk up to the perp when they're on the ground immobile and half dead, and finish them off execution style? Of course not. But I will put as many rounds in him as quickly as possible. If he dies, so be it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    That's exactly what your argument sounds like. "Could've used a taser!"

Shoot to stop the threat. I'm not going to pause in between shots to reasses the threat level. Will I walk up to the perp when they're on the ground immobile and half dead, and finish them off execution style? Of course not. But I will put as many rounds in him as quickly as possible. If he dies, so be it.

Keep some ammo for the lookout\buddy that comes in and sees you've just done a mag dump on his best friend\buddy\lover\drug source.

If it happens someone is in such a situation someone takes a life in self defense it's sad and unfortunate for the person who was forced to kill someone they didn't want to.

I'm not crying or heart broken for the perp here.

In a good shoot the thug made the decisions to that got them shot and I'm ok with that.

I'm focused here on the crowd mentality that we should "Finish HIM" "Kill he deserves it" etc mentality I see after the events. It's wrong.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I'm pretty sure we're on the same side of that line. The argument seems more about semantics. Would you rather one said, "the perp should've died from his wounds," instead of "he should've killed him "?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I'm pretty sure we're on the same side of that line. The argument seems more about semantics. Would you rather one said, "the perp should've died from his wounds," instead of "he should've killed him "?

The decision to live or and how they'd end up was given to the victim and in fates hand after the perp made the decision to mess with a person who could defend themselves.

Not a tear lost here. Good shoot etc.

What I'm not condoning is the blood lust after the fact by 3rd parties and onlookers in this community who'd encourage others to keep on till he's dead or are disappointed with survivors and post comments mob\lynching style on such stories.

Top Bottom