Having more time available now

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Ok, back into the garden, some of the seeds planted on 8/20 never did germinate, some did very well, some poorly. I have had to reseed the cabbage, lettuce, kohlrabi and spinach. In addition to these I have planted kale, turnips (having some fresh young turnip greens tonight with cornbread), collard greens, arugula and swiss chard. The corn is about ready to harvest, for being an experimental crop it will be okay, nothing spectacular. The third planting of bush beans are blooming, the second planting was decimated by some insects and the fourth planting should start blooming by months end as well as the second planting of purple hull peas (cow peas). The jalapeno, serrano and bell peppers are still producing and potatoes are peeking thru. All of the tomatoes are history, the cucumbers are growing up their trellis nicely, and putting on blooms.

I have never planted kale or arugula, these are simply seeded into some 2.5 gallon nursery pots with a soil mix of roughly 25% native soil and 75% mushroom compost. Into this while mixing it in a 1/3 yard wheel barrow, I added 1 cup azomite and 1 cup 13-13-13. This is just a mix I am trying to see how it will work throughout the growing season, nothing really scientific behind it. I would like to see if this will give me decent yields on the greens.

When the cauliflower plants were about 4" tall I began to transplant them to other beds, I have had 39 survive out of 42 transplants. Between these I have interplanted turnips, I never tried transplanting turnips before, but you can. So why did I do this? Well the turnips with the cauliflower are to make actual turnips, the bed where I seeded the turnips is primarily for the greens, but will yield some turnips as I thin them out for greens. The greens are nice in a salad or cooked with ham or bacon. If the fresh turnips are sweet, I prefer them raw, other wise cooked.

I am now waiting for my brussel sprouts starts to arrive.

the SAGA continues!

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Update, collards, kale, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage have sprouted. I think I have solved my corn issue, I think I have not been using a "fertilizer" that is high enough in nitrogen. In the spring I will add blood meal to the soil to increase nitrogen content, from my observations, my soil mix does not contain enough nitrogen. I will also be supplementing with cottonseed meal, especially on the potatoes, I remember my grand dad putting it in the potato holes when he planted.

Top Bottom