• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    #1 lower right Birds eye pepper this is a volunteer, still making a few peppers
    middle right First time planting of brussel sprouts, inter planted with broccoli, doing very well
    upper right nursery pot experiment with broccoli in the upper row, 2nd row left some kale, right more broccoli, lower row obscured by the cowpeas, arugula and broccoli

#2 middle swiss chard, kale, right cauliflower, more broccoli in nursery pots, center middle lettuce, middle right asparagus

#3 potatoes, red lasoda, left rear more cauliflower, front left carrots, cabbage and my pollinator attractants, still have a lot of butterflies and bees around

#4 Volunteer tomato, variety unknown, lots of lettuce!!

#5 close up of more lettuce, see #2, with cauliflower in background and the serrano peppers still going strong
    Venture Surplus ad

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I did have to fight off an invasion of worms, I crushed so many I thought my fingers would become green! My cucumbers were hit by something unknown and went from boom to bust in few days, oh well. Not pictured are the sweet peas, they were damaged by the high winds preceding the last front, I tied up to the trellis what I could. Also no pictures of the kohlrabi, it is doing well, just no updated photo. Getting ready to harvest the first one this week!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Update, over the last few days I have begun to band the cauliflower plants. The smallest heads are about golf ball size, the largest about 5 inches across. Soon I will be having one of my favorite veggies. Started picking sweet peas, my main problem is I like them fresh and raw and I eat more as I am picking than I save to put in salads! Small pips are starting to show on the Brussels Sprouts, enjoying a lot of fresh lettuce, kale and some arugula.

I need to find some cauliflower recipes, besides steamed with cheese and raw. I am thinking about breading some and frying like mushrooms. Might even try grilling some wrapped with bacon, got to get inventive!!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I was looking on allrecipes.com, OMG a recipe for scrambled cauliflower, it looks so damn good. I will need to try that one for sure!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I learned something new today. This is my first attempt at baking good, old fashioned hand kneaded homemade bread. Turned out pretty damn good to! Almost looks like a professional did it. >Blush<

View attachment 206009

Next time I think I will divide into three loaves instead of two, two is what the recipe called for.
    Be careful when baking it if you divide into smaller loaves. Changing amounts while baking anything, even changing the recommended pan size for things, can markedly affect the product like needing more or less baking time and such. Bread will probably still come out pretty good but the oven temp may need to be changed.

By the way, those loaves look delicious. Congrats on a successful first attempt. I just ate breakfast; yet, looking at that pic is making my mouth water. Nice job.

Great thing about making your own bread is you can bake breads that are not usually available in your area. Wish I knew how to make a light Lithuanian Rye or a Corn Rye. I have not baked in a while but if I knew how to make those two I'd get back into it. I'd also love to know how to make real bagels, which involves boiling the dough as I understand before baking. Cannot get anything close to a real bagel where I live. One of the few things I miss about NY is the great variety of foods available in and near NYC, some of the baked good are heavenly and I just cannot find them in NE TX.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today made roasted cauliflower soup, I have so much getting ready at once! I gave 7 heads to my cousin, so she could give them to her neighbors. Along with a half full 13 gallon bag of kale, some fresh sweet peas, green onion, arugula (she liked the flavor) and some other veggies.

The soup turned out wonderful, 2 1/2 heads medium cauliflower (these were about 9 inches across), 3 thinly sliced red potatoes, 6 cloves garlic, 4 finely grated carrots, 2 shallots. Separate cauliflower into florets, put everything into a large bowl, add some olive, mix until lightly coated, place in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until it becomes lightly toasted. While waiting for this to toast, in a large soup/stew pot, 4 cups chicken broth, 1 bay leaf, I did not have any thyme at home, recipe calls for some. I deviated from the recipe slightly here, I brought this to a low boil for about 7-10 minutes, then let rest until the cauliflower was ready. Removed the bay leaf, added veggies, returned to boil for about 10 minutes, stirring often. I used a manual potato masher instead of a blender to coarsely puree the veggies. While I was waiting for every thing to toast, I sliced 2 thick cut bacon strips into thin pieces and fried until crisp. I poured the bacon renderings, about 2 teaspoons and crispy bacon into the pureed veggies. Slowly stirred in 2 cups of whole milk, recipe calls for 2 cups heavy cream, did not have any at home, so just worked with what I had. Added some black pepper, it was salty enough (from the bullion) to my taste. Simmered about 10 minutes till it began to thicken a bit more. Served hot!

As an additional note, I did not use chicken broth, I had the jarred chicken bullion/stock that you add to water.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Thank you, just a lot of hard work! I am waiting for the cabbage to make heads. If you know what an Elephant Ear plant is, the cabbage leaves are about the same size!! The variety is supposed to make 6 to 9 pound heads! If it does oh boy!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    So, in an effort to increase my options in the canning, food prep arena, I have ordered a 30 quart All American Pressure Canner. At the end of the last canning season the prices of these had skyrocketed. Back down to the normal high price, but it will increase my production options. Should be arriving Thursday, 1/21/21.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today, cleaned and prepared 3 beds for potatoes, 1 for carrots, the corn plot and built some more "shelves" for potting the strawberries when they arrive. Tomorrow I will plant potatoes and carrots, start mixing soil for the strawberry pots and the pots I will be planting bush beans in. I think this will be the last year I plant bush beans and I will go with strictly pole type, the yield seems to be much better. I still have a lot of bush type seed left, so I will plant them. I also plan to build the beds for the blueberry's and raspberries. If I have the energy on Monday (I took a vacation day) I may start the trellises for cucumbers, pole beans and tomatoes.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    As mentioned in another thread, canning kraut today, 11 quarts and 3 pints. 4 more heads of cabbage in the outside fridge. Making use of my time off of work due to the cold snap. This sort of reminds me of the first snow I saw when I was 4 years old! I am not inclined to be out in it like I was then.

Using a simple recipe 1 teaspoon each of sugar ,salt , and vinegar to each jar several sprigs of dill that I picked and froze last weekend. Stuff clean, sterilized jars with the dill and freshly sliced cabbage (mine is hand sliced, so it is wider than a food processer), add the sugar ,salt and vinegar pour over hot water till fill line, clean jar rims, seal and hand tighten. Quarts water bath for 20 minutes, pints 10 minutes.

You could also add caraway seed for Bavarian style kraut, I dislike that type. What I will do with this after 4 weeks, is stir fry and crisp some bacon, crumble or just cut fairly fine, drain the drippings and stir into the kraut as a side. If you like you could stir in a teaspoon of flour to "thicken" as well. The way granny made it!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The strawberry's (bare root) and blueberry's arrived today! I planted them as soon as I returned home from work. Planted 20 strawberry and 4 blueberry. Still awaiting the raspberry plants, they have been shipped, just in transit. I have normally ordered live plants from Burpee, they used to be the best, but Gurney's is giving them a run for their money. The plants arrived well packaged, green and appeared to be VERY healthy! I am very happy with this order.

The freeze devastated the cabbage and Brussel sprouts, oh well shit happens, but the carrots have sprouted, and after trimming back the asparagus, they are already sending up new shoots. I need to get out and trim the tangerine and lemon trees tomorrow, extensive damage to the foliage! I hope I can salvage them.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    So tonight is poker night, I did not prune the trees. But, I did plant (seeds), yellow squash, zucchini, bush beans (43 2.5 gallon nursery pots with 3 seeds to the pot), sweet corn, asparagus, watermelon and some marigolds for pest control. I need a nap, it will probably be a long night. Tomorrow I will try to get sets started for peppers, sweet, jalapeno, serrano, tomatoes and maybe eggplant. Going to plant some leaf-type lettuce , pole beans and cucumbers.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Garden update 3/14/21

88 of the 92 potato's planted 1 week before the epic freeze, have sprouted! About 1/2 of the bush beans planted before the freeze have sprouted and are standing about 3 inches tall, the asparagus, once trimmed have come back like crazy, it is already over 24 inches. Pole beans, yellow squash and zucchini planted 1 week ago are coming up (did not plant on 3/1). Lettuce, kohlrabi, collards and kale are up.

I need to get my trellis built for cucumbers and tomatoes, but it is raining here this morning. I spent yesterday building a raised bed container for a gentleman here in town, he wants one for his wife, it is complete and loaded on my truck ready for delivery.

Top Bottom