• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Might just have to try that.

My new neighbors youngest son has been wanting to make his momma a small garden for her birthday/Mother's day. We started a couple of weeks back, we were slowed down by the rain. Built a small 8 X 18 for her, I had some more pallets here, we used those for fencing, built a tomato and green bean trellis. I had started him some summer squash and tomatoes in pots. I showed him yesterday how to transplant those and planted pole beans and some yellow bush beans, Today, his momma was out there with him, and they planted some purple hull peas and I gave them a couple of dozen of traveling onions.

We amended the top 6 inches of soil with a little 13-13-13, some Epsom salt, azomite, coffee grounds, about a 1/2 inch of mushroom mulch mixed well. Below this, we had dug down about 12 inches and placed tree branches, shrub trimmings, and grass clippings. This was to create a long-term enrichment of the soil and help with moisture retention. It was good to see a young man (23 YO) trying to kick some bad habits (nearly a year clean, but when he is not occupied, he feels the cravings), working at something to help his family and give him something to keep busy with. He's a good kid, just has made some stupid decisions, and he is trying really hard to fight those former addictions.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Harvesting wild yeast is relatively easy, but it doesn't perform half as well as commercial yeast. The only way I've found that you can get anywhere close to a good strain is if you keep a starter going for ages and ages. It takes about a month after putting the jar out for the thing to ferment to where it's mostly yeast and you've got to watch it really closely because lactic acid bacteria can build up if you let it go for too long.

That being said, if you gather a few different strains from different areas, combining them can produce a pretty solid yeast for making bread with.
    And here's another way:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Cucumbers are putting on finally, I even found a few watermelons about the size of a small cantaloupe. After seeing the weather warnings on my phone, I decided to dig up the remainder of my potatoes, 4 more 5-gallon buckets. Lavaca County is 3 miles away from me, with the flash flood warnings and the expected heavy rains in my area, my thoughts were better to get as many as I can, I would hate for them to rot. I would say this is the best yield ever, about 130 pounds( I finally did a weigh-in) in less than 100 square feet. About a third were just a bit smaller than softball size, the remainder in the baseball and golfball range.

Next, I will prepare 2 beds for another attempt at sweet corn, different seed, and a bed for Okra. I still have a good chance at making a good crop of each.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Update on the corn and okra. The corn is already 4 to 6 inches in height, my earlier in the growing season attempt with a 98% failure rate has gone to a 98% success in germination rate. Today I hilled some soil around the base of the corn since it is a "shallow root" plant and it is in raised beds, color is very green and vibrant. Okra germination is equally impressive, with only 3 seeds not germinating, it is only about 2 inches tall at this point.

Earlier I planted 12 sweet potato slips, 9 have survived, 3 of those had been savagely ravaged by snails, but they are finally sending out some leaves! Snail bait helped dramatically.

I had planted 20 strawberry plants in nursery pots, 6 survived. For some reason, the other 14 had been growing nicely, then started browning and died a wretched death. Those 6 survivors have now been relocated to raised beds, where the runners can take root and make more strawberry goodness! Of the 20 I planted in the earlier pictured strawberry planter, 19 have survived. The first year's yield was not great by any means, but I am hoping the next 3 to 5 years will show improvement as there will be more plants. one of my next projects is to build a second planter.

Zucchini season is about over for this planting, maybe a week or 2 left and they will be done. Then purple hull peas will be planted in the bed, I have planted (yesterday) a first crop where my kale and collards had been. Two weeks' succession is about right.

I am looking forward to my first harvest of Crimson Sweet watermelon, the largest at this time is about the size of a soccer ball, these normally range in size from 20 to 35 pounds, smaller ripened melons are not uncommon though. The vine attached to the melons is still plump and green, and not ready for harvest.

In case I have not mentioned in a prior post, I have planted 2 Razmataz Grapes, these are doing well and are about 18 inches tall. I only planted 2 so I could see how they would grow in my soil. Besides, yields for this variety are supposed to be 40 to 60 pounds throughout its season at maturity! My ultimate goal is to make raisins (seedless) and to eat fresh.

The 2 black raspberries I planted are coming along nicely, the one that sent shoots up first is nearly 30 inches tall with the second at about 18. 3 of the 4 blueberry plants have departed this plane of existence, I will not be buying more. If the last plant survives I will try rooting cuttings and propagate that way. I have spent nearly $200 on blueberry plants, my soil is not right, I will try adding some sulfur (on order) and make it more acidic.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    All three of my strawberry plants died like yours. Looked very green and healthy and started to put out fruit and then withered and died.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Garden update, with all of the rain my garden has been struck very hard. I have removed the yellow squash, zucchini, kale, potted beans, and cucumbers that have all wilted and died. I have replanted yellow squash, transplanted rooted vine sections of the sweet potatoes to another bed, so now I have 2 beds, and I have planted 2 beds with cowpeas, with about 3 weeks between for staggering the yield. The okra now stands close to 4 feet in height and is getting ready to set blooms.

Other preps, with the suggestion of possible serious inflation and shortages, I have added to my reserve today.

75 lbs each of rice and flour, 2 70 oz. dried milk, 20 pounds of complete pancake mix, 12 cans of mushrooms for use in rice casseroles, 16 cans each of Cream of Mushroom and Chicken soup, 24 cans of Ranch style beans (makes a simple and quick meal over rice), 24 cans each of corn and green beans, 18 quarts of shelf-stable almond milk, 18 large cans of chicken, 8 lbs of Velveta to use with casseroles, 36 lbs. of pasta, 30 lbs. of sugar, 4 qts. lemon juice (canning and make lemonade), 10+ lbs of coffee, corn starch for cooking, 16 cans of peaches (for baking or dessert), 3+ lbs baking powder and some other rice and pasta sides. Of course the much-needed TP and Paper Towels.

Some of the rice and flour (50 lbs each) will be stored in bulk 5-gallon containers in sealed mylar bags, the remainder will be separated into smaller 1-gallon bags, the sugar, dried milk, and pasta will be in smaller bags as well all will have O2 absorbers.

These are common-use items for me and will not be wasted.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I was tired from the long week and I have been recovering from a back injury, so far just had some steroids for the back, hopefully not too serious. So I slept in this morning, till 10:30 am, (I woke up at 6:45 am, had some breakfast, and went back to bed).

(12:45 pm) I have so far packaged for long-term storage 50 pounds of the rice in 1-gallon mylar bags w/ 500cc O2 absorber (10 cups per bag) and 36 pounds of long pasta (spaghetti 4 lbs per gallon bag) w/ O2 absorbers as well. I leave the pasta in its original plastic sleeve, cut a small hole in it so the O2 absorber can more readily suck up the O2, with the added benefit of having cook time and nutrition info on each sleeve. The bags are 7.5 mil and resealable. After inserting everything, I use the ziploc to close them and then seal them with an impulse sealer. Back to work!

Quit for the day, packaged and sealed an additional 30 lbs of sugar and 10 lbs of Buttermilk Complete Pancake mix. Then put those bags into food-grade 5-gallon buckets. I may finish tomorrow, I really need to make a run for non-iodized salt and some dry cereals to package for long-term storage, as well as some meats to can into ready-to-eat stews and soups.

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Since my back was feeling better, after the second round of steroids, I spent the morning working in the garden. I have fallen behind in weeding and removing the veggies that have finished their season. Today I cleaned four raised beds and planted (as seeds) kale, carrots, zucchini, and yellow wax beans, I also weeded out the okra bed. I still have a lot to weed, but I do not want to push my back yet.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I was tired from the long week and I have been recovering from a back injury, so far just had some steroids for the back, hopefully not too serious. So I slept in this morning, till 10:30 am, (I woke up at 6:45 am, had some breakfast, and went back to bed).

(12:45 pm) I have so far packaged for long-term storage 50 pounds of the rice in 1-gallon mylar bags w/ 500cc O2 absorber (10 cups per bag) and 36 pounds of long pasta (spaghetti 4 lbs per gallon bag) w/ O2 absorbers as well. I leave the pasta in its original plastic sleeve, cut a small hole in it so the O2 absorber can more readily suck up the O2, with the added benefit of having cook time and nutrition info on each sleeve. The bags are 7.5 mil and resealable. After inserting everything, I use the ziploc to close them and then seal them with an impulse sealer. Back to work!

Quit for the day, packaged and sealed an additional 30 lbs of sugar and 10 lbs of Buttermilk Complete Pancake mix. Then put those bags into food-grade 5-gallon buckets. I may finish tomorrow, I really need to make a run for non-iodized salt and some dry cereals to package for long-term storage, as well as some meats to can into ready-to-eat stews and soups.

I wondered where C Rations came from. You're now moving up my SL.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Ok, back to preppin'. This has changed to not only preppin' for a natural disaster but to fight food inflation as well.

Today I added to the stores, 30 lbs of sugar, 24 lbs of elbow macaroni, 4 lbs of plain salt, 24 lbs of cornmeal. I have decided to also plan just not foods I eat, but also for supplies to preserve vegetables I raise in the garden as well as some items for curing and or storing meats. Jars are becoming more difficult to find, and I need more.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today's order of business, cleaning, and seasoning some cast iron cookware I happened to find cheap, as in free! The dutch oven and frying pan both had some rust, nothing major, and for the most part on the exterior of the cookware. My neighbor was going to dump them, so I asked him for them. About an hour in total soaking in vinegar solution and a bit of elbow grease, they are on the second round of seasoning. I didn't have any grapeseed oil so I am having to make do with extra virgin olive oil. Not the best but it will work. I could not see this cookware being thrown away when it could be restored with relative ease.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Looks good.

I usually only make beirbrot. It doesn't get much easier (or IMHO tastier) than that.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today I harvested some of the sweet potatoes I planted earlier. The bed is 32 square feet, I had planted 12 slips, 7 survived, the yield today was 2 5 gallon buckets. Nothing super large, many baking size, but quite a few fingerlings. The smaller ones I plan to use for making sweet potato pies, one of my all-time favorites.

I planted a second bed from clippings taken from the original vines, just a month younger. I know there are some medium-sized potatoes already there, but I am giving them till November to grow some more.

In addition to this, the seeds I started, broccoli and cauliflower, I began to move to individual containers to get them ready for in-ground planting, I ended up with 90 broccoli and 50 cauliflower. The cabbage I tried starting earlier, never did germinate, so I am trying again snd replanted those as well. I had to replant spinach also, damn grasshoppers ate it all.

Reactions: MTA

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    It has been a while since I have posted anything here.

Starting about 3 weeks ago I began to clean out the raised beds in preparation for spring planting. I have zucchini, green beans, yellow beans, spinach, swiss chard and a heat tolerant kale planted and sprouted. At this time I also planted some seed potatoes in 25 gallon containers as an experiment. Everything but the kale and potatoes is already 2.5 inches above ground. I had planted yellow squash but it never germinated, so today I replanted the remaining seed to see what will happen. Last weekend I planted in 2 raised beds with another 60 potatoes. Today I planted sweet corn, turnips, carrots and cucumbers. Last weekend I planted some Kentucky Wonder pole beans, but they have not sprouted as of yet. I have a few seed potatoes left, and I will be planting the remainder today.

In some red solo cups I have roma tomatoes, sprouted, the jalapeno, serrano, cherry, and mortgage lifter tomatoes have yet to sprout. Some of the sweet potatoes I harvested in the fall have begun to produce slips, so I placed them half buried in soil, when the slips get about 6 inches in length, I will snip them of, place in water to root, and by May, they should be ready to plant.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    It has been a while since I have posted anything here.

Starting about 3 weeks ago I began to clean out the raised beds in preparation for spring planting. I have zucchini, green beans, yellow beans, spinach, swiss chard and a heat tolerant kale planted and sprouted. At this time I also planted some seed potatoes in 25 gallon containers as an experiment. Everything but the kale and potatoes is already 2.5 inches above ground. I had planted yellow squash but it never germinated, so today I replanted the remaining seed to see what will happen. Last weekend I planted in 2 raised beds with another 60 potatoes. Today I planted sweet corn, turnips, carrots and cucumbers. Last weekend I planted some Kentucky Wonder pole beans, but they have not sprouted as of yet. I have a few seed potatoes left, and I will be planting the remainder today.

In some red solo cups I have roma tomatoes, sprouted, the jalapeno, serrano, cherry, and mortgage lifter tomatoes have yet to sprout. Some of the sweet potatoes I harvested in the fall have begun to produce slips, so I placed them half buried in soil, when the slips get about 6 inches in length, I will snip them of, place in water to root, and by May, they should be ready to plant.
    today we did some more planting in our raised beds as well. Cucumbers, and lettuce mostly. Tomorrow we'll plant the tomatoes we bought last weekend.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I spoke to a friend last night while bowling, another shortage is the lack of seed potatoes! I found some back in late January or early February, so I had some. Normally, I save some from each planting, BUT, the last fall crop rotted. Just bad luck, first time, I was lucky to get some early. This year I will put more back for next season and store them in different locations so maybe they will remain viable.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom