• dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    10-4.

I was thinkin mills still, DO'H.

That's why I stick to moa I've used it long enough I'm very comfortable with it. I don't shoot any tac/prs comps so I don't need speed in ranging or anything of the such. Only downside is a lot of good optics these days come out in mil based adjustments and reticle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's why I stick to moa I've used it long enough I'm very comfortable with it. I don't shoot any tac/prs comps so I don't need speed in ranging or anything of the such. Only downside is a lot of good optics these days come out in mil based adjustments and reticle.

I have a scope with each. Shooting the mil reticle more often so that's where my thoughts go now.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm intrigued. What materials are used to stop projectiles?
    Estimated weight?

That particular target has a I beam hanging in front of it that stops projectiles. The others are built the same but without steel and they are railroad cross ties stacked double thick. After them is a piece of heavy tin to know if anything goes through. Couldn't tell you a weight a fork lift or tractor was used to set them. We've only had issues with over penetrating with 50 yards in and fmj or ap stuff. At 100 it didn't go through.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That particular target has a I beam hanging in front of it that stops projectiles. The others are built the same but without steel and they are railroad cross ties stacked double thick. After them is a piece of heavy tin to know if anything goes through. Couldn't tell you a weight a fork lift or tractor was used to set them. We've only had issues with over penetrating with 50 yards in and fmj or ap stuff. At 100 it didn't go through.

Neat!
    off to the drawing board.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I built a handgun target with railroad ties, Worked real good.

I only did a single layer and tilted back so anything that web between ties was directed downward.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Neat!
    off to the drawing board.

I'll try and remember to take pictures of the targets next time I'm out.

I built a handgun target with railroad ties, Worked real good.

I only did a single layer and tilted back so anything that web between ties was directed downward.

These are stacked offset so if it goes between the first layer it hits the middle of the second.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If it was for anything other than pistol I would have done the same. I started out with that in mind but decided it wasn't needed.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    This is a neat thread. I can't wait to see where it goes.

As usual, Ben is knowledgeable on some of the most far-out things known to man

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, ran my initial test loads this afternoon.

Had 4 batches of 5 rounds each. All rounds identical except for powder charge.

Bullet: 174.9-175gr SMK.

Brass: Federal brass from Gold Medal Match rounds sorted to within .5gr brass weight. Trimmed, chamfered, and deburred, primer pocket cleaned.

Powder:IMR 4895. Batches were 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5. 43.5 is max load per Lyman 49th Edition.

Length to ogive:2.985, ten thousandths off the lands.

Rifle: Savage model 10 Precision Carbine. 18" barrel, accutrigger tuned to around 1lb.

Optic: SWFA SS 10x42

Setup: Prone on shooting mat, Bipod, no rear bag.

I didn't have much time for making some fouling rounds so I sacrificed 2 rounds from batch 1. Didn't expect it to bring the best groups anyways.

Batch 1

42gr

Average velocity:2565
    Extreme spread:20fps
    Standard deviation:7
    gemysa9u.jpg

Batch 2

42.5gr

Average velocity:2597
    Extreme spread:31
    Standard deviation:13
    ta9y3a6u.jpg

Possible I caused the two left shots, but I can usually tell when I pull one and didn't have the feeling. Wish I'd had my rear bag.

Batch 3

43gr

Average velocity:2630
    Extreme spread:11
    Standard deviation:4
    u6e2y6yj.jpg

Batch 4

43.5gr (Lyman max)

Average velocity:2644
    Extreme spread:22
    Standard deviation:9
    e5yhu6aq.jpg

The 4th group was obviously best, but I will need to do a little more testing. Debating on if I want to (carefully) work the load up any higher. No signs of pressure at this point but if I'm happy with the groups once I get out with a rear bag I may not worry about pushing them any harder.

Something that struck me as interesting. Shooting 168gr SMKs I was getting an avg velocity of 2455 using a 42gr charge. The 175s with the same charge averaged 100fps faster. I assume this is due to the longer bullet reducing case capacity and increasing pressure.

Another surprise.

The book used a 22" test barrel and shows a max velocity of 2692fps, going to my 18" barrel only caused a loss of 28fps. I realize the book doesn't always equate to real world results, but I did expect a larger difference.

Now just need to clean brass and do more testing. Think I'm gonna keep the 5 round brass groups together and see if the low velocity spread from batch 4 was just a fluke, or if the brass has something more in common.

Once I get more info I will invest in a primer pocket uniformer and see how much difference it makes compared to previous results.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What app is that? Do they make it for android?

App is called "Ballistic" and has a blue bullseye as the icon. Not sure if its for android but the app is incredibly awesome.

Recent update made it even better.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    According to Hogdgon's website (distributor of IMR powder) the max load for that combo is 45.0C. Yours probably won't be compressed since you are seating out further but you do have some room to increase your charge. You probably won't even need another half a grain since your group is very good already.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good shooting.

Seems like you have a good load figured out. Close anyways.

Close on powder I thing, but really need to get out there with the rear bag to be sure.

Might play with the OAL a little bit once I'm sure on the powder charge and move back to 200 yrds. Gonna suck cause I won't be able to see hits at that distance through my scope.

Also gonna go ahead and start grabbing some more SMKs, I think I will be happy with the performance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    According to Hogdgon's website (distributor of IMR powder) the max load for that combo is 45.0C. Yours probably won't be compressed since you are seating out further but you do have some room to increase your charge. You probably won't even need another half a grain since your group is very good already.

Yeah, I'm undecided at this point. Not having the rear bag is a real kick in the nuts.

Good chance I will shoot a smaller group with it, but also possible my movement canceled out some inaccuracies in the load.

Gonna be a fun journey.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I would load up some more at that charge and then a few more a little higher to see if you are in the middle of the node. If all seems well I would shoot 2 5 round groups at 200 to get another feel of consistency. I wouldn't worry much about your velocity and sd or es until an accurate load is found. I keep 3 manuals on hand to reference when loading and also pull up the powder manufacturer website. Powder charge weight and velocity always very between everything but there are several factors to that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Does one just take a picture of the target, & the app spits out the info?

You have to take a picture of the target with the camera as straight as possible so it can be scaled correctly. Drag a little bar between the lines to scale it then move the little bar over the bull.

After that you put in bullet diameter and drag the markers over each shot and it gives you all the info for the group.

Screen shot of the rest of the info it gives, minus the chronograph info which added in the last update.
    evamytem.jpg

It also lets you track cold bore shots and saves a separate log of them that can be viewed without the other info.

Top Bottom