• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How far are you going OCD? There are the flat forends and the $1K rests.

4886_zpsd42f5bb8.jpg

There are the myriad run-out gauges and, of course, the Wilson seaters because there's no way you'll trust a mere press to seat your bullets when the only right way to do it is by hand, so you can personally feel every micrometer of progress of the bullet into the case.

400_BS_zps806ac448.jpg

There are the custom bullets that you'll use until you decide you can swage better ones, yourself.

Somewhere along the way you put your rifle into a real, long-range benchrest stock.

hammerhead_front_zps69c46165.jpg

After that you'll discover barrel tuners and you'll drive yourself nuts with their infinite adjustability.

Tuner2.jpg

If you really go off the deep end, you start booking time in testing tunnels, measuring groups to 3 decimal places, and not being satisfied until you consistently shoot 100-yard tunnel groups with c-t-c measurements "in the zeroes" (0.099" or less).

Eventually, you'll start looking at ways to just brute-force all the variable out of your shooting, so you'll find yourself looking at rifles like this

carnell2x1000_zpsb60b0222.jpg

while the voice in your head says "All I have to do is move a few financial obligations around..." and you actually begin to believe your thought processes are still rational.

I've known people who were obsessed. It can get ugly.

So just how OCD do you want to go in the pursuit of small groups?

Ben

PS - The above is just for fun. I think you're trying to find best results with a particular rifle, right?

I'm gonna do every one of the things you named except for the expensive stuff;)
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So you can just throw money at the problem.............
    Not "just", but for some shooting sports the minimum price of competent entry is breathtakingly high.

To be clear: I was just having fun. I know Younggun isn't talking about formal benchrest shooting.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I actually knew a guy years ago that was that obsessed. He never did find what he wanted. But it was fun watching him try.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I want to load a round that has low recoil, less than 1" wind deflection at 500 yards with a 90* 10mph wind, at least 1500lbs of energy at 1000 yards, and less than 200" of drop at that range.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm stuck with weather delays.

Got 5 batches loaded for testing. Loaded with sorted bullets with .2gr and brass sorted to .5gr. OAL has .002 tolerance, .5 gr steps in powder charge.

Probably need to load about 5 rounds from the "junk" components for fowling the barrel. Swabbed after the last range trip for powder residue, no copper scrubbing.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Ladder testing is my preferred method and I start at max or a little over and go down. Seating depends on chamber I like starting at .005 off but some chamber's don't allow for that with still being able to mag feed. I try to test at 400 now because it shows you a bit more than 100. Also there is some that theorized that ultra long high BC bullets don't settle down until a little down range. I'm not 100% sold but have seen a load that didn't shoot the best at 100 but shot a 3" group at 400. This theory typically is around the heavy 7mm, heavy 30's (200 gr and up) and the 338 stuff. I typically don't measure velocity until I have a accurate load and need a drop chart out farther than 400.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been considering testing at 200.

My berm is a little small so I would need to check POI and get a rough zero before moving back.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Mine is about the same size, maybe a little shorter from cattle playing on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looks about 10 feet tall, if that's a mil reticle.

And if I got mils right, lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No MOA vertical subtensions are 1 MOA horizontal are 2 MOA.

So it's 15' tall? Doesn't look that big.

Not to question your knowledge of your own equipment, but are you sure vertical is t .5moa and horizontal 1 moa?

Top Bottom