• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not saying it would be my choice for carry, but are you trying to factually state a hollow point bullet from a .22 WMR will not kill you?

No. I'm saying that the penetration from a .22 WMR hollowpoint is not up to standard, and may not cause an incapacitating wound if you use it.

Your better bet is solid nose in that caliber, if you have to carry it (which I wouldn't).
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ha, reading through this thread brings back memories. West Texas, whatever happened with that guy?

I think that was the moron that threatened to sue me into bankruptcy over banning him from the forum because he couldn't stop attacking forum members, derailing threads, and posting nonsense. Funny thing is, it turned out that guy was a Christian youth minister. ;) Oh the internet.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Bullet & Caliber effectiveness against the human body (concerning repelling criminals) are like opinions & hineys ! Everyone has one. So here we go again....I submit that a 255 gr. flat nosed lead bullet in .45 Colt caliber will do the job as will about three fast 9mm JHPs in a thug's head or left hand shirt pocket area. Lest we forget, a 12 guage shotgun load in a lethal spot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bullet & Caliber effectiveness against the human body (concerning repelling criminals) are like opinions & hineys ! Everyone has one. So here we go again....I submit that a 255 gr. flat nosed lead bullet in .45 Colt caliber will do the job as will about three fast 9mm JHPs in a thug's head or left hand shirt pocket area. Lest we forget, a 12 guage shotgun load in a lethal spot.

What would make you think that one round of .45 Colt is as effective for self defense as three rounds of 9mm?

There are very few spots that you could put #8 that would be lethal in a timeframe less than a few days.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Not sure who that's directed at... Probably not me, since the .36 shoots .375" bullets... ;)

Not directed at anyone really. I just find it ironic how these discussions seem to always turn to "what a bullet won't do".

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not directed at anyone really. I just find it ironic how these discussions seem to always turn to "what a bullet won't do".

Well, they won't blow a man off his feet or leave two smoking shoes. I'm still looking for the caliber that does. ;) LOL jk

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I remember hearing from somewhere that one of the main reasons chamberings like .357 Magnum are so effective, is because (in addition to being powerful already) their rate of penetration is stoopid high -- and human skin, with its natural elasticity, takes enough of the initial hit that punching through it alone is roughly worth the first 4" of a block of ballistics gel, so when it hits, it begins the "optimal" stage of permanent channeling right inside the body. Can anyone substantiate/debunk this?

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I remember hearing from somewhere that one of the main reasons chamberings like .357 Magnum are so effective, is because (in addition to being powerful already) their rate of penetration is stoopid high -- and human skin, with its natural elasticity, takes enough of the initial hit that punching through it alone is roughly worth the first 4" of a block of ballistics gel, so when it hits, it begins the "optimal" stage of permanent channeling right inside the body. Can anyone substantiate/debunk this?

What an "optimal" stage of wound tract? I don't have any data on how much of a gelatin block would be represented by the skin alone, even though it is an elastic and tough barrier.

.357 Magnum isn't that much faster than a lot of other calibers. Load lighter bullets in the other calibers, you can get .357 velocities from them.

FWIW, I remember FBI labs concluding that the .357 offered no significant improvement over a .38 Special with properly engineered bullets. All it offered were more penetration (where the .38 is adequate), more flash, more report and more recoil. Same may not be true in a snub nose, where the short barrel could hamper the amount of velocity available. A .357 could put enough energy into the system to make the difference between adequate penetration and failure.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    What an "optimal" stage of wound tract? I don't have any data on how much of a gelatin block would be represented by the skin alone, even though it is an elastic and tough barrier.

.357 Magnum isn't that much faster than a lot of other calibers. Load lighter bullets in the other calibers, you can get .357 velocities from them.

FWIW, I remember FBI labs concluding that the .357 offered no significant improvement over a .38 Special with properly engineered bullets. All it offered were more penetration (where the .38 is adequate), more flash, more report and more recoil. Same may not be true in a snub nose, where the short barrel could hamper the amount of velocity available. A .357 could put enough energy into the system to make the difference between adequate penetration and failure.

IMO, I like my 38 just fine..

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    SWMDzXN.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support