• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    So, uh, maybe I missed it in the thread before, but the bigger question is: Who is your team, how big, how secure do comms need to be, and who do you plan on talking to? That might really drive the purchase, too.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't want to be dependent on cell or ham towers being functional under all conditions.
    I dont think its wise to be dependent on any one thing that much.
    But you can be reasonably prepared with alternatives and improvise as needed.

You can spend too much time worrying about possible scenarios and become paralyzed by overthinking WHICH LEADS TO INACTION.

Is your vehicle EMP proof?
    No..do you have a spare vehicle you can park in a sea container that would protect against EMP? NO
    Well you'd better get a horse...no make that 4 horses..

Rawles wrote about this

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I dont think its wise to be dependent on any one thing that much.
    But you can be reasonably prepared with alternatives and improvise as needed.

You can spend too much time worrying about possible scenarios and become paralyzed by overthinking WHICH LEADS TO INACTION.

Is your vehicle EMP proof?
    No..do you have a spare vehicle you can park in a sea container that would protect against EMP? NO
    Well you'd better get a horse...no make that 4 horses..

Rawles wrote about this
    Modern vehicles are fairly EMP proof...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

We have a different opinion thats all.

they can send a satellite signal and unlock the door, start and stop the engine but an EMP blast wont disabled it?
    Most ECM modules set in a plastic box

Some vehicles have a separate exposed ignition coil for each cylinder

Not very protected

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

Modern vehicles with all the computers and electronics will become bricks on wheels. Anything before early 80's with a carburetor will most likely survive.
    Cars now are basically drive-by-wire. I would not want to be driving on the road when an EMP occurs.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

they can send a satellite signal and unlock the door, start and stop the engine but an EMP blast wont disabled it?

Not very protected
    Thing is, nobody really knows... Too many factors involved... Strength of the EMP. Distance from the EMP. Any shielding, like even a metal garage roof. Is the vehicle running.

My best argument for not worrying about my vehicle surviving is that at that point it will be way too dangerous to go anywhere, but I would like to have some communication ability from where I am, and that's where this thread started...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Modern vehicles with all the computers and electronics will become bricks on wheels. Anything before early 80's with a carburetor will most likely survive.
    Cars now are basically drive-by-wire. I would not want to be driving on the road when an EMP occurs.
    More and more, I see that theory discounted... Not the early 80's part, but that all later vehicles won't survive.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There are definitely degrees of EMP. A lot of modern electronics would survive a manmade one. Probably just have to power it off and back on again. Might get some corrupted data which could brick things you can't reload.

A CME that's large enough to push the aurora borealis this far south would do some damage, tho. Even carbed cars with points ignitions could be damaged. Fry out the alternator or plug wires... Need an air start diesel to be 100% EMP proof.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Not very protected
    I'm not sure you understand the mechanism of an EMP...

If you are close enough, sure, it will probably get fried, but so would you.

The real concern after an EMP is where to pump gas...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm not sure you understand the mechanism of an EMP...
    I was just about to say the same about you.

My 1st research into this was in 2015 looking at the US EMP Commission that actually tested several makes and models of cars at an L-3 facility in Colorado
    Which was done poorly actually with borrowed DOD vehicles that they had to return in working order so i think the test were held back somewhat.

Nevertheless..only one of the vehicles tested could not be restarted after replacing some minor parts. The issue is..what parts and how are you going to drive to a place to get them?

The audio report of this used to be online by searching EMPact America Radio Program Number 41

They reported that as long as the level was below 25 kV/m , most vehicles were going to be ok.
    This doesn't account for a solar event or a nuclear one given direction/ distance and other variables like shadowing from terrain

But when this test was done..the newest model tested was a 2002
    So we know that in 20 years the amount of electronics in all cars have increased tremendously.

Maybe some better data is from the manufacturers that have tested their own cars a a private facility at White Sands but I currently don't have access to that information

Clemson University has a automotive engineering dept and they have published some interesting information on various manufacturers that I have looked up a few years ago also.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If the fuel pumps I know of are down. So am I.
    Man made EMPs are devastating to target areas.
    Natural occurrences are more so.

Then again. We've all got a few tricks up our sleeves.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If the fuel pumps I know of are down. So am I.
    Man made EMPs are devastating to target areas.
    Natural occurrences are more so.

Then again. We've all got a few tricks up our sleeves.
    Ive got several 12 volt 15gpm explosion proof pumps rated for gasoline
    The lift rating on most of them is 8-10 feet for gas/diesel
    I figure we can make a stinger out of pvc and get to some gas and fill the empty totes I have.
    When it alll goes down, I'll call you on the radio and we'll meet up !
    Lol..you can be lookout or I guess since we are all taxticool..."overwatch"
    Lol

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Get your tech and general in one go, then spend a few years building antennas and playing with it all.... you'll figure it out. Stick to GMRS if you want walkie-talkies.

As it was said in this thread, the OPs question is akin to saying "Why gun should I buy and never use and expect to win in a gun fight."

Without a callsign, at best people will completely ignore you. At worst, they'll find you and be outside your house... maybe with folks with badges, maybe just telling you to stop it or they'll get the feds involved.

Regarding repeaters... they're up and will be up. Chances are unless you're already in the know, you won't be in the know with the legit EMCOMM repeaters in the area. You should know how a repeater works, how to make a crossband repeater, how to cut a dipole, how to build a 49:1 UNUN and make an end-fed half wave. How to use 12V batteries and use how to not blow finals with high SWR.

There's a LOT... once you get fairly good at all that, picking the HT won't be an issue. (Radio is complicated... really complicated... it's definatly not a "grab it when SHTF and know what to do."

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Fuel terminals and gas stations would likely be inoperable after EMP event.
    The pumps and terminals would likely be fine, but just like with hurricanes, they need electricity to pump. I'm sure a small generator would run a few pumps.

Reactions: gll

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The pumps and terminals would likely be fine, but just like with hurricanes, they need electricity to pump. I'm sure a small generator would run a few pumps.

An EMP event would very likely damage the equipment and control systems necessary to operate a fuel terminal.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You should know how a repeater works, how to make a crossband repeater, how to cut a dipole, how to build a 49:1 UNUN and make an end-fed half wave. How to use 12V batteries and use how to not blow finals with high SWR.
    I disagree that you need to get that technical with it. Off the shelf stuff will work just fine, and you only need to be technical enough to program channels into everyone's radio in your talk group.

Once things are channelized, it's easier to pickup a radio and say hello for the first time than it is to effectively shoot a firearm. Of course practice will help you be successful.

If you intend to use a repeater you definitely need to get a license, be that ham or GMRS.

If you're just going to talk simplex, don't bother. Program your boofwang for FRS, GMRS, and MURS and let it rip.

Reactions: gll

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I disagree that you need to get that technical with it. Off the shelf stuff will work just fine, and you only need to be technical enough to program channels into everyone's radio in your talk group.

Once things are channelized, it's easier to pickup a radio and say hello for the first time than it is to effectively shoot a firearm. Of course practice will help you be successful.

If you intend to use a repeater you definitely need to get a license, be that ham or GRMS.

If you're just going to talk simplex, don't bother. Program your boofwang for FRS, GRMS, and MURS and let it rip.
    I'll have to disagree with your disagreement.
    Does the average non-ham know what the standard frequency offset is for 2m or 440? How about the PL tone?
    It might be simple to us since we've been doing it for years, but the average person is going to say WTF???

Top Bottom