• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Looking a these. Anyone have experience with these? Comments?

Amazon product ASIN B06Y2697RX

Amazon product ASIN B00JFJUCH8
    Yaesu is a great radio
    Ive got 2 hand helds and one base and 2 mobiles
    They also have a proprietary mode of digital signal that allows you to speak to another Yaesu radio in a way that others without that capability wont hear you
    It's calls C4FM or DN mode
    In fact..some repeaters are built with this mode and can talk normally or in this mode

Its what all the cool kids are doing

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Can you provide a brief explanation of a linked system?

I briefly researched it, but the hands-on info on how to connect, etc. I didn't find.

Repeater, links, not sure how all that is related.

(obviously not an operator but am interested in learning more)
    Look into meshtastic

I forget the guy's name, but he did a great video on YouTube about it.
    Fight in the shade?

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Yes, it's usually a heavy fine. From what I understand (which is very little), they tend to be doing something blatantly wrong and disruptive to incur the wrath of the FCC (more so, other ham operators who are the ones who usually contact the FCC).
    Thanks for the info. I have never heard of anyone getting busted.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I witnessed the problems of using Beofang radios operating on a MURS frequency recently during a training exercise at Camp Shelby. The amount of disruption from others, using a MURS frequency, made it necessary to use alternate frequencies. While I don't know the power level being used, the interference was almost certainly from outside the boundaries of the military installation.
    Good looking out

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I guess it depends on what you define as SHTF. Under my definition, most laws wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on. In that case, I wouldn't worry too much about FFC regs. I'd worry more about not dying.
    I agree with you on a time when laws on this subject won't matter. I am one of several in my circle that have these to coordinate movement to "The Alamo" when needed. We have all procrastinated on SOMEONE getting a license to register them so they would work with any repeaters left operating.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I agree with you on a time when laws on this subject won't matter. I am one of several in my circle that have these to coordinate movement to "The Alamo" when needed. We have all procrastinated on SOMEONE getting a license to register them so they would work with any repeaters left operating.
    The chances of functioning repeaters at such a time is about the same for functioning cell phones.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve got a couple of MURS handhelds just because there aren’t as many people using those frequencies. Also got a GMRS license not too long ago. Still need to get the radios. A CB I think would be good for Mobil coms. Like others have said, in a true SHTF, a license isn’t going to matter and the possibility of downed repeaters is about the same as downed cell phone towers.

Reactions: gll

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Like others have said, in a true SHTF, a license isn’t going to matter and the possibility of downed repeaters is about the same as downed cell phone towers.
    In some areas, they have repeaters on top of hospitals and on towers shared with fire and law enforcement, so those would hopefully still have power.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Look into meshtastic

I forget the guy's name, but he did a great video on YouTube about it.
    Fight in the shade?

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    S2 Underground did a pretty good video...

Meshtastic really does look good if you have a specific group and area around which you want to build a communication network...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I’ve got a couple of MURS handhelds just because there aren’t as many people using those frequencies. Also got a GMRS license not too long ago. Still need to get the radios. A CB I think would be good for Mobil coms. Like others have said, in a true SHTF, a license isn’t going to matter and the possibility of downed repeaters is about the same as downed cell phone towers.
    Unlike the cell phone towers, most repeaters are operated by ham clubs with limited funds and abilities to make quick repairs.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The output on these radios may be less than claimed and the audio isn't equal to the more expensive radios.
    You're not wrong, but the difference isn't extreme. I've done multiple tests switching between Baofeng and Yaesu while talking to someone and when queried they couldn't tell the difference.
    I would like to find out the easiest way to get it to be more than 5 mile walki-Talki.
    They have more like a 1-2 mile range just talking handheld to handheld. You can make a simple antenna and raise it in the air to get better range.

If you want better simplex range, CB might be a better option.
    If you need SHTF practice on radio get it on FRS
    ...or just program your Baofeng for FRS. You're not going to bother anyone doing so.
    as anyone ever been charged or convicted for using a radio without a license?
    Oh yeah, but they have to be a serious nuisance on the ham or public bands for them to care. Interfering on government or commercial channels get much more attention.
    Anyone have experience with these? Comments?
    I have a ft-70d. Nice little radio. Harder to program than the Baofengs. If you don't already have people in your area using the Fusion digital mode I would skip it.

Fusion sounds great and can greatly extend your range, but it's not the most popular digital mode out there.
    We have all procrastinated on SOMEONE getting a license to register them so they would work with any repeaters left operating.
    Ham radios aren't registered. Each individual operator is required to be licensed.
    The chances of functioning repeaters at such a time is about the same for functioning cell phones.
    Much higher actually. Many people that operate repeaters are preppers and focused on emergency comms.

A good example is the HAMs that drive into disaster areas with mobile repeaters in their vehicle.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    There are a number of mobile HAM radios that will function as cross-band repeaters, meaning they receive on one band and transmit on another; usually 2m and 70cm. These might be used in SHTF.

It is possible to set up a Baofeng as a cross-band repeater, or a pair of Baofengs as a same band repeater, but it is easier to just buy something more capable and with more power.

Someone more versed may expand...

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    There are a number of mobile HAM radios that will function as cross-band repeaters, meaning they receive on one band and transmit on another; usually 2m and 70cm. These might be used in SHTF.

It is possible to set up a Baofeng as a cross-band repeater, or a pair of Baofengs as a same band repeater, but it is easier to just buy something more capable and with more power.

Someone more versed may expand...
    You would need a pair for a duplex setup, but could use a single one for a simplex repeater. I have never talked on a simplex repeater before, but a friend of mine set one up at his church a few years ago.
    There's some repeaters made from old Motorola commercial radios that are built like tanks.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    This guy has a plan for SHTF group comms using HAM radios in what seems to me to be something like a meshtastic network.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    In some areas, they have repeaters on top of hospitals and on towers shared with fire and law enforcement, so those would hopefully still have power.
    There are several repeaters that have green power (solar/battery) as primary or secondary sources now.
    They will work grid down

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Side note..Per law.FRS is limited to .5 watt..(the blister pack radios at Walmart and Cabelas) however I have talked FRS on a 5 or 8 watt BF and I dont see where anyone would know the difference actually.

Top Bottom