• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Which Yaesu? I find my FT-60 and FT-70 less intuitive than a Baofeng. At least on the Baofeng you can scroll through the menu options.
    Yaesu VX-6R. The only radio more difficult to program than a Baofeng is my Anytone AT-D878UVII Plus.
    Military Camp

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1675720046148.png

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    The Colorado Archuleta Search and Rescue Mounted Rangers (a volunteer group) chose the Baofeng UV-5RE due to price, flexibility and ease if use.Soon we needed a 1 hour course on that ease of use! I've had mine 6 years and it is still reliable and fun to use. Like most electronics, a smart guy is needed to assist us troglodites in programing .. once done it is easy and the walky talky mode is great .. SPEND the few extra dollars for the remote antenna! The VHF mode especially good for working with Air Search and mountain top or ridgeline located direction centers. A solar trickle charger also a necessity.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The Colorado Archuleta Search and Rescue Mounted Rangers (a volunteer group) chose the Baofeng UV-5RE due to price, flexibility and ease if use.Soon we needed a 1 hour course on that ease of use! I've had mine 6 years and it is still reliable and fun to use. Like most electronics, a smart guy is needed to assist us troglodites in programing .. once done it is easy and the walky talky mode is great .. SPEND the few extra dollars for the remote antenna! The VHF mode especially good for working with Air Search and mountain top or ridgeline located direction centers. A solar trickle charger also a necessity.
    The entire group had amateur radio licenses?
    Those radios are only legally able to transmit by a person with a ham license.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Nope we did not and I still do not. I never heard of a single person which was assisted by us or any LEO which we assisted complain about the lack of QSL cards handed out! I also have never been issued an FCC license for aircraft radio operation in my 52 years of flying. I am not saying that license are not required just pointing out that unless abused, those rules are seldom enforced.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The truth is no one cares...

If someone pulled a bone headed move, it would pass some folks off, but with a HT, and being mobile even if they did, it would be near impossible to catch.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The truth is no one cares...

If someone pulled a bone headed move, it would pass some folks off, but with a HT, and being mobile even if they did, it would be near impossible to catch.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Transmit on GMRS or MURS and nobody will ever know you are running a UV-5R...

Ranger2k

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2023
    Eddy, TX
    Nope we did not and I still do not. I never heard of a single person which was assisted by us or any LEO which we assisted complain about the lack of QSL cards handed out! I also have never been issued an FCC license for aircraft radio operation in my 52 years of flying. I am not saying that license are not required just pointing out that unless abused, those rules are seldom enforced.
    A LEO would not have a clue 99% of time and honestly, its not up to them to enforce if they wanted - thats an FCC endeavor. As for aircraft - licenses are not required by the FCC:

(b) An aircraft station is licensed by rule and does not need an individual license issued by the FCC if the aircraft station is not required by statute, treaty, or agreement to which the United States is signatory to carry a radio, and the aircraft station does not make international flights or communications : https://www.aopa.org/travel/interna...icenses-and-pilot-radio-operator-certificates

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A QSL card isn't required to use the amateur band, however a valid callsign is.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    A QSL card isn't required to use the amateur band, however a valid callsign is.
    Apparently jokes and or humor is not recognized in replies to your comments.. ;) I figured not one in a hundred fokes without a ham license would catch the comment. A bit of military history, before inet and cell phones, aircraft with HF would routinely use a support system of ham operators for phone patches with loved ones around the world depending on skip and atmospherics of course.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Apparently jokes and or humor is not recognized in replies to your comments.. ;) I figured not one in a hundred fokes without a ham license would catch the comment. A bit of military history, before inet and cell phones, aircraft with HF would routinely use a support system of ham operators for phone patches with loved ones around the world depending on skip and atmospherics of course.
    Irregardless of jokes/humor in replies, there is no reason for anyone desiring to operate in the amateur bands, to not obtain training and license in order to operate in a legal manner. It would seem reasonable that after making an investment in radio equipment one would want to be able to utilize the full capabilities of the equipment. A percentage of vehicle operators are on the road without a license or insurance, most find it better to operate in a legal manner.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Thought about exploring emergency comms - so I searched, found this thread and read the whole thing, clicked like on some of y'all's posts (incase you were wondering what that was about) but now I have a headache from the whole idea... so I'm gonna go shoot instead.

Sorry for the necro. :)

GregoryRomeu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Presidio, TX
    Would the Boufang 3rd generation radio fit my want’s……Would appreciate any knowledgeable advice.
    If you are going with the Boufang radio I would suggest getting the 8 Watt along with the extended life/size battery(ies) and a long range antenna, (Couple of bucks on Ebay). As long as you have a way to charge the battery(ies) in a SHTF scenario you will be okay as long as there is someone within range to answer / communicate with you. As for any laws, rules or regulations, there won't be any at that stage of life. We will be in a SHTF lifestyle. Survive, keep each other safe and be careful!

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Just make sure you know how to use the radio. There’s a good chance that you might not find a frequency that others are using or depending on location and weather conditions you may not be able to make contact with anyone at all. Just because you can hear them, doesn’t mean they can hear you.

If you are really looking into this, you need a mobile radio and a decent antenna. Handhelds for repeater use are one thing. Point to point communications you have distance and terrain factors involved.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thought about exploring emergency comms - so I searched, found this thread and read the whole thing, clicked like on some of y'all's posts (incase you were wondering what that was about) but now I have a headache from the whole idea... so I'm gonna go shoot instead.

Sorry for the necro. :)

I bought 2 Baifangs with the extended range antenna, the cable to connect to that program. And the book to study fir the exam. I’ve had a crazy busy year, so have only charged the batteries.

Planning to try and get my license this fall.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I bought 2 Baifangs with the extended range antenna, the cable to connect to that program. And the book to study fir the exam. I’ve had a crazy busy year, so have only charged the batteries.

Planning to try and get my license this fall.

Get your license and try to get with a local radio club (they will be the group you take your license exam with). If possible try and get involved with a local RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service). You’ll learn a lot about EmCom with them especially if you become a storm spotter for the National Weather Service. Having your license will be a good thing as the weather nets have the NWS working with the Amateur Radio operators. You’ll quickly find that handhelds have big limitations especially in poor conditions. Rain is a big factor there.

Top Bottom