Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I went to Spring & Cypress this weekend.
    I've been in Spring for 30+ years. I am astounded at all the changes. The old marijuana fields are now a park and a Kroger. Where there were once 2 stop signs between my neighborhood and the North Freeway, there are now 7 or 8 traffic lights.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The suburbs kinda suck. Everything is too far to walk and too bland to really want to experience it. I'd be happier either right in the middle of downtown Houston (for the symphony, the theater, and the medical center) or so far out in the sticks (for the peacefulness) I'd have to worry about running out of gas when I drive to get gas.

Everything in between is a less-satisfying compromise.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    feel sorry for all the wildlife.
    Near me, surrounded by development, was a little ~30-acre plot of woods. It was always nice to drive by it and see the deer grazing out in the open under the powerlines that cut through it. I drove by it yesterday. Sometime in the last week or so, the entire place has been bulldozed flat. More housing, I imagine.

Depressing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Near me, surrounded by development, was a little ~30-acre plot of woods. It was always nice to drive by it and see the deer grazing out in the open under the powerlines that cut through it. I drove by it yesterday. Sometime in the last week or so, the entire place has been bulldozed flat. More housing, I imagine.

Depressing.
    I remember when we lived outside of Shenandoah back in the early 1970's, there wasn't hardly much along I 45 from outside of Conroe to Spring. A few small gas stations and bait shops. Now yo can't tell where Conroe stops, and Houston starts anymore.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    So sad. I remember driving from Houston to Fairfield 20 years ag, there was a noticeable rural drive between the two. Now, it’s like I never leave Houston on that same drive. Same can be said for Katy. I want out...
    I was born in Katy and spent the first half of my life there; it was a tiny town when we left. I remember visiting a few years back it was not the same place I grew up in. It was sad to see what had become of it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So sad. I remember driving from Houston to Fairfield 20 years ag, there was a noticeable rural drive between the two. Now, it’s like I never leave Houston on that same drive. Same can be said for Katy. I want out...
    I remember that as well. We usually got off I 45 at Fairfield or Buffalo to head to Palestine.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Maybe one of those cows could be convinced to stay on your property while you fatten it up!

"Well, it just wandered over here and I wasn't sure who it belonged to! Got a BILL OF SALE to prove she's yours?"
    Well, she probably would come up with one! What I have found out is, that the cows belong to her when it suits her needs! Last year she had cows out and were in my front yard, I had the county come out and round them up. She told me those were not her cows, but strangely, a few days later, those same cows were back in her pasture! She is the only person around here with Longhorn crossbreed cows. Everyone else has Angus, Hereford or Brahma cows or crossbreeds. The county informed her if she didn't get her fencing fixed and keep her cows contained, that they were going to start issuing her fines.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I've been trucking mostly south Texas but I'm still surprised with the growth I see. The farmland between Seguin and New Braunfels is vanishing fast replaced with subdivisions and strip malls. Between Katy and Brookshire was empty land now filled with mega warehouses and new homes.

I live fairly close to Austin and San Antonio and the housing market is booming. Local realtors are buying the big ranch properties and dividing them into subdivisions.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well, she probably would come up with one! What I have found out is, that the cows belong to her when it suits her needs! Last year she had cows out and were in my front yard, I had the county come out and round them up. She told me those were not her cows, but strangely, a few days later, those same cows were back in her pasture! She is the only person around here with Longhorn crossbreed cows. Everyone else has Angus, Hereford or Brahma cows or crossbreeds. The county informed her if she didn't get her fencing fixed and keep her cows contained, that they were going to start issuing her fines.
    She probably names them.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

One of the draws for us to Magnolia, aside from family in the area, was the small town feel. With all the damn development going on, it's quickly becoming the sprawling mess of a suburb that we left in lefty-land. Just heard about this new 800-home development slated to go in across 1488 from our neighborhood.

I foresee more flooding, more traffic, more crime, and higher property tax bills. I also foresee the quiet little town loosing its quiet little town charm, and turning into just another Houston suburb.

We have friends that have a plan to pull the pin and move to central Texas in a couple years to a tiny town - and honestly, at this point, we may do the same depending on our situation at that point. I grew up in the country, and get kinda claustrophobic in town. Town is growing to encompass us - at this point I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or three Magnolia pushes the city limit out and starts annexing our area. They did for the area HEB is building a new store at 1488 and 149, across from Magnolia High.

We love the area right now but the writing is on the wall. If the housing market doesnt' completely crash like 08 (I think it honestly will) and we can get what we have into this place, or better - I honestly see us selling and relocating again, to the chagrin of my wife. If we don't crash and this market keeps going up and up, hell, maybe we'll double the value. That just means to get a comparable place, we'll be paying a lot more too.

Frickin Zillow / Realtor.com estimate our place has gained $60k in value since we moved here. That's nuts. But if someone wants to get stupid and offer me half a mil, they can have everything on the property but my guns, the clothes on our backs, and the car to get us the hell out right now.

Central Texas is about to go as well. We were thinking the same plan but everytime we narrow a place it goes to crap after a few years.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    That’s what a friend of ours did. He’s on 15 acres by Sam Houston nf. He likes it. By the time I retire, if I stay in Texas, will be middle of nowhere west Texas if I can help it.
    He might get approached real soon from what I am hearing. I heard they are approaching land owners in East Texas to expand.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    There are two 10 acre lots a mile down the road from me, consisting of nothing but scrub woods, that are for sale for $290,000 apiece.
    That’s $29,000/acre!
    When I was looking at Palmer lots, 10 acres with over half in a flood zone and the owners wanted 140k.

I hate the cookie cutter 10 plots. People are still next to each other. I will sell if the guy north of me builds. He would be right next to my house. Right now each neighbors home is about 300 yards away. Just enough to not make me go crazy.

Top Bottom