• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    here is our garden. If we can dodge these hail storms we've been having, we might have something
    SU1BRzExMzAuanBn_zps5206c40b.gif
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So I built a wall garden to move many of my herbs and some strawberries.

6 rows of gutter, each gutter 5" wide and 5'long. Widest deepest gutters I could find.(cut off the top in the pic)

9170f92823ed81fa131cad0c4de2d855.jpg
    I've been toying with a similar idea, but I was thinking of using 6" PVC pipe. Was going to drill individual holes for the plants to sit in and set it up so that each row would drain into the one below it. I like the gutters, tho. Would definitely be cheaper than the pipe. Only problem is size like you said.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've been toying with a similar idea, but I was thinking of using 6" PVC pipe. Was going to drill individual holes for the plants to sit in and set it up so that each row would drain into the one below it. I like the gutters, tho. Would definitely be cheaper than the pipe. Only problem is size like you said.

That's one off hydroponics.

Connect the pipes in a series with black hose. Devise a system of recirculation for the water. Professional fish tank pump works. Drill 1 1/2" holes at about 1' intervals along the 6-8" pvc pipe. Flush the system before you use it. Wash everything before you put together.

In the holes go plastic wire plant baskets. The seedlings should be started in Rockwool cubes. Once seedling has a good root system (roots will begin growing out the bottom of the cube). Transfer cube/plant to the plastic baskets.

Nutrients are dependent on the plant. Water also requires ph adjustment and monitoring. The system needs to be sunlight proof. No light to the water or roots. If the system is in full sunlight, the water needs to kept cool. It needs to be a fairly low temp in the 70's. Nothing above 80 degrees. Water also needs airiration'. Which means bubble the water somewhere in the system using a fish tank air pump.

Things like watermelon, cantaloupe build up sugar the dryer they're grown. That's why Pecos cantaloupe tastes like candy. These will grow explosively in hydroponics. However, the fruit will take like water.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Check it out.

My biggest pumpkin plant. Shes loaded to bare. Isn't she pretty. She's the biggest out of 4 plants.

Shes fed a lot of nitrogen. About once a week. 2-3ounces of fresh urine to a gallon of water.

f51f5703484321de1b2a6d0eb881735c.jpg

We have cucumber too.

580bc87cecf610bf99221fa6143c1356.jpg

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

Last edited:

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    This thread makes me kinda regret not starting the garden this year. Couple years ago I put in 2 24x4 foot beds and one 12x4, plus a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. Did all the watering by hand, which was extremely tedious during the hot months. Needed to be watered at least once a day. Had a night job so wasn't gonna bother with it this year. Now I have abundant free time.

I am growing some Ghost peppers though. Father of a co-worker of my wife insulted the peppers I grew last year by saying they weren't even hot (they were, felt like a red hot spoon touched to my tongue). So this year I'm going nuclear. He isn't gonna know what hit him.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Does my aerogarden count?

This is week six. We've pruned the basil and dill a few times. Each time we get a bigger harvest and use it in recipes . I just about gave up on the Parsley but now it's going.

08Pppf.jpg

P18xfb.jpg

xTrw07.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Well with my termite issues I have to have the ground near the house treated - so no edibles at the base of the house anymore - have to move them

So I built a wall garden to move many of my herbs and some strawberries.

6 rows of gutter, each gutter 5" wide and 5'long. Widest deepest gutters I could find.(cut off the top in the pic)

Now to start the move...

9170f92823ed81fa131cad0c4de2d855.jpg

So when it comes to gardens your mind is already in the gutter......................

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So when it comes to gardens your mind is already in the gutter......................

Ba dump bump!

I was going for something that looked nicer so I used the raw cedar and brown gutter. I'm going to hook it up w drip irrigation once I get a chance. It will be on the back side so you won't see it from the front. I'll run a 1/4" line to an open port on the nearby drip head hooked to my sprinkler system - automagical!

I got 3 large black berry bushes up against the house moved as well. Everything else is in raised beds so no concerns.

Ill try to take some pics next weekend.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    are you seeing plenty of honey bees?

Oh yeah. There's a honeysuckle about 10 yards from the plants. Roses right next to them.

Plenty of hornets too. Lots of those little basturds. Seen a few Spider Hawks. Couple of male ladybugs.

The fire ants are dealt a soil soak of 3 ounces orange oil to a gallon of water. It'll also kill yellow jackets dead. And from the look of it, it's not a pleasant death.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Plain and simple. Tomatoes, Cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, green beans, cilantro, radishes, and dill.

A few of the Celebrity and Better Boys have set. Bells and jalapenos too. No cherries or green beans yet.

IMG_1895_zps86diejzg.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Oh yeah. There's a honeysuckle about 10 yards from the plants. Roses right next to them.

Plenty of hornets too. Lots of those little basturds. Seen a few Spider Hawks. Couple of male ladybugs.

The fire ants are dealt a soil soak of 3 ounces orange oil to a gallon of water. It'll also kill yellow jackets dead. And from the look of it, it's not a pleasant death.

where do you get orange oil at?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    where do you get orange oil at?

Lowe's. It expensive tho. It's on the shelf by the indoor plants. Where the organic fertilizers are. I've had some success keeping mosquitos out of planter pots with the watering hole on the bottom side. They no liky orange oil for nothing and they stay out my plants water.

I've dispatched three yellow jacket nest so far. 2 ounces to a gallon bug sprayer drops them dead.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Lowe's. It expensive tho. It's on the shelf by the indoor plants. Where the organic fertilizers are. I've had some success keeping mosquitos out of planter pots with the watering hole on the bottom side. They no liky orange oil for nothing and they stay out my plants water.

I've dispatched three yellow jacket nest so far. 2 ounces to a gallon bug sprayer drops them dead.

how do you use it on fire ants?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    how do you use it on fire ants?

It erases their scent trails at low strength. Thicker solutions will kill them. I don't think it'll kill the nest. Places like in the house, spray it full strength. Your dog won't lick it either. I soaked the soil of a cantaloupe seedling a few time. Seems fire ants were tearing it up. Had to yank it, replanted with watermelon. It's keeping them away so far.

It's suppose to be 4 ounces to a gallon for soil soak. At 2oz/gallon it'll burn leaves. I use 2oz for soil. It also gets rid of nats in the soil. The GF had a Nat problem with some house plants in her office. Orange oil fixed that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I was treating the plants on the porch and decided to try it on a lone yellow jacket nest. Lol, in fact I've sprayed every bug I've seen.

I bought a 1 gallon bug sprayer. The expensive $15 dollar job. I sprayed the nest with 2oz/gallon. He wiggled like hell then fell dead. Watched him squiggle on the ground. He never got up. After that, I've been a yellow jacket death squad. Orange oil is pretty Damn cool.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Something tore the bark off my fruit trees :( I need to find some way to protect them from further damage and hope they don't die.

Do you think it's squirrels or insects? If it's squirrels, have a blast taking out the tree rats. Seek and destroy those little basturds.

If you have pecan trees around. You need to consider mass murder. Squirrels are greedy and will strip a tree.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom