• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Let's see your gardens!....post em up! I figured this might be a good thread for people share ideas through actually seeing what people are doing/growing. Threw in a couple of chicken/coupe pics for good measure :D.

sw7E2B2.jpg

o6CKK9S.jpg

qH4fa12.jpg

EFJiCGf.jpg

WQZoCKJ.jpg

NVXBq4z.jpg

PgWm3zd.jpg

dDYhzkT.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I used to garden about 96 square feet of vegetables in my back yard until this fellow came along:

100_0223.jpg

He loves to dig holes in garden plots.

So, I have started a small herb garden where he can't get to them (but where squirrels and deer like to forage).

100_0596.jpg 100_0597.jpg 100_0598.jpg 100_0599.jpg

There are some potatoes in there too. I never grew potatoes in a pot.

Herbs can be harvested as you need them, but them Taters, that will be interesting.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I used to garden about 96 square feet of vegetables in my back yard until this fellow came along:

View attachment 28184

He loves to dig holes in garden plots.

So, I have started a small herb garden where he can't get to them (but where squirrels and deer like to forage).

View attachment 28185 View attachment 28186 View attachment 28187 View attachment 28188

There are some potatoes in there too. I never grew potatoes in a pot.

Herbs can be harvested as you need them, but them Taters, that will be interesting.

I hear ya. I have to block out my 3 DDR German Shepherds, otherwise it would be an early harvest every day.

Ha, good looking Chocolate Lab! You gotta grow how you can....nice!

Looking forward to an update for those potatoes in a pot!

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Where are the damn weeds? You're garden is too pretty. A couple of years ago I grew some cantaloupes. People said, put some hay under them to keep them from rotting. Two years later, I've got a bodacious crop of Johnson grass. My basil and other herbs, tomatoes, squash, okra are doing good though.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    That's where I washed them after 7.5 inches of rain. It was a mudfest but I was afraid they would rot in the ground

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    We've started gathering yellow and zucchini squash.
    Green beans have bloomed and gone. Expect to start seeing pods any day now.
    3-4" cucumbers on multiple plants.

Tomatoes started strong with about a dozen tomatoes. But they appear to have stagnated.
    Soil has plenty of moisture and lots of alpaca poo.

Do I need to stress them a bit?

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Didn't plant squash this go round. Still getting green beans but the yellow wax beans have come and gone and the purple hulls will be ready to pick for the first time this week. Okra is up planted it late after harvesting cabbage and cauliflower. going to put corn and carrots in tomorrow if garden is dry enough to till. My tomatoes are just starting to ripen probably do to excess water. I fertilize the soil with chicken manure and triple 13 and use miracle gro occasionally. Once the temperature gets above @ 78 degrees at night tomato blooms will not set. Why they stall I don't know. Its been a real good year so far for gardening

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Where are the damn weeds? You're garden is too pretty. A couple of years ago I grew some cantaloupes. People said, put some hay under them to keep them from rotting. Two years later, I've got a bodacious crop of Johnson grass. My basil and other herbs, tomatoes, squash, okra are doing good though.

I smothered most of them with Texas native and Canadian Sphagnum Peat. I pick everything else so I can keep an eye on the insects. Fighting worms of all kinds right with a series of treatments.

At this point: I've harvested some carrots, cuccumbers, squash, and cabbage. I have lots of Gypsy peppers hanging, jalepenos, anaheims, bells, and tomatoes. I made sauerkraut in my grandpa's old sauerkraut crock, with the first cabbage head. Talk about way better than store bought crap.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I smothered most of them with Texas native and Canadian Sphagnum Peat. I pick everything else so I can keep an eye on the insects. Fighting worms of all kinds right with a series of treatments.
    What do you use to kill insects ? Right now I occasionally use dish soap and water. Home made sauerkraut is the way to go and pretty simple to make. Not much on cooked cabbage so it all goes in the crock.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    What do you use to kill insects ? Right now I occasionally use dish soap and water. Home made sauerkraut is the way to go and pretty simple to make. Not much on cooked cabbage so it all goes in the crock.

I usually start out with orange oil, then Diatomaceous earth. If that doesn't do it, I follow up with insectiside soap, then neem oil. The worms went ape $h!T on my broccoli while I was in Dallas this weekend. It's amazing what 2 days of not inspecting your plants can do. I like to stay on top of it by looking at the under side of my leafy greens to make sure no eggs or insects are starting to feast.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I have used the diatomaceous earth its very versatile. I put it on my dogs and chickens also. Gardening is a lot of work but it pays off. I have always like to garden but really put time in to this year. Slowly learning the little things that make the difference thanks to people that are willing to share. Thanks I will look into the orange oil and insecticide soap. Is it available at H.D.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have used the diatomaceous earth its very versatile. I put it on my dogs and chickens also. Gardening is a lot of work but it pays off. I have always like to garden but really put time in to this year. Slowly learning the little things that make the difference thanks to people that are willing to share. Thanks I will look into the orange oil and insecticide soap. Is it available at H.D.

The insecticide soap is available at both Lowe's and HD. It's killing the baby worms, but I'm gonna have to step it up with the neem oil and wack em all.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Taken this afternoon

June10_01.jpg

Last year, the afternoon sun just baked our tomatoes. Trying something different this year ... in the shade at the far end.

The wife made zucchini pickles yesterday ...

June10_02.jpg

Alpaca poop FTW

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Lookin good. Havnt tried zuccini yet. Between excessive rain and increasing heat my tomatoes are coming fast and to a quick end probably. May try some squash if isnt to late may try them anyway

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    depends alot on your soil. you have a lot of clay it holds moisture longer. sand or loam drains faster and needs more watering I have both types and water every other day. If leaves start yellowing thats too much water. You have to play it by ear with the weather conditions.

Top Bottom