• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    What Maverick said is spot on, but I like my 27-2. It's a big gun though. I think the L frame would be a perfect size, hence me suggesting a 686+. I've got a couple of k frames, but rarely shoot full power .357's through them.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I like my 27-2 a lot too. I found it for the right price so I went with that but I was looking at a new 686 first. The L frame is the perfect size in .357 for me.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Depends on what you're wanting to do with it. The guns you've listed are on the large side, so I'm going to assume you want a shooter, not a carry gun.

The S&W Model 27 and 28 are excellent range guns. They are very well made, very accurate, and very pleasant to shoot. They're also pretty tough. They are built on the S&W N frame, which is the frame size used for 44 Magnum, which explains why they are so pleasant to shoot and so durable. There's a lot of steel in them. They weight 41-47 oz depending on the barrel length (my Model 28 is a 4"). Like I said, they are excellent range guns. I would hate to carry one for defense though.

I would avoid getting a S&W Model 19 or any other K frame sized 357 Mag. They are really nice guns, but will not stand up to heavy magnum use. Their purpose was to provide a lighter weight 357 mag option to police and civilians. They did this at the cost of durability. It's best to feed those guns 38 special and only shoot the magnum rounds when they are needed. 125gr 357 mag is is especially hard on them and will crack the forcing cone.

The S&W 686 is built on an L frame, which was designed to fix the issues of the K frame while still being lighter and more compact than the N frame. I'm sure it's a fine revolver.

That issue was rectified a long time ago. S&W modified the crane so they no longer had to thin out the bottom of the forcing cone (where it could crack). Issue solved.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    That issue was rectified a long time ago. S&W modified the crane so they no longer had to thin out the bottom of the forcing cone (where it could crack). Issue solved.

Sure, unless you buy one of the tens of thousands of older Model 19s on the market. There was a LOT of Model 19s made between 1957 and 1999.

They fixed the issue when they reintroduced the revolver in 2018 as the 19-9. From what I understand, every model older than that (19 through 19-8) has the flat cut out on the underside of the forcing cone. The Model 19 is a fine gun, but it's not perfect. If you want a heavy duty magnum revolver that you can shoot full house loads in all day long, get a different gun. If you have an older Model 19, be nice to it and save the magnums for the L and N frames.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The model 27 was the original pistol design for the .357 Magnum wasn't it?
    Yes.
    Prior to the mid to late 1950’s, S&W did not use model number designations. They used names on the guns.
    The gun we know as the Model 27 was called The “S&W .357 Magnum”.
    When the Model 19 came out there was a need to identify the various .357 models so the model number thing began.
    The “registered magnum” was a special hand selected and finished gun. It cost a lot more than a standard 27. These are uber collectible nowadays.
    The 27 could be special ordered with any barrel length in blue or nickel finish.
    The 28 was a lesser refined hence less expensive version intended for a working cops weapon.
    The 19 proved very popular with PD’s as well.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Sure, unless you buy one of the tens of thousands of older Model 19s on the market. There was a LOT of Model 19s made between 1957 and 1999.

They fixed the issue when they reintroduced the revolver in 2018 as the 19-9. From what I understand, every model older than that (19 through 19-8) has the flat cut out on the underside of the forcing cone. The Model 19 is a fine gun, but it's not perfect. If you want a heavy duty magnum revolver that you can shoot full house loads in all day long, get a different gun. If you have an older Model 19, be nice to it and save the magnums for the L and N frames.
    Your ommitance of the fix would lead someone that didn't know of it to believe it is still an issue for new production revolvers.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Your ommitance of the fix would lead someone that didn't know of it to believe it is still an issue for new production revolvers.

And your claim that the issue was "rectified a long time ago" would lead someone to believe that it really wasn't an issue despite "a long time ago" only being two years.

For the overwhelming vast majority of Model 19s, it is still an issue. Not everyone will want to buy a new S&W. The used ones are generally cheaper, and just have something special about them. Surely someone a username like yours can understand an appreciation for classic S&Ws.

I really don't care to argue over something as petty as this. Between the two of us, I feel that the OP probably learned more about the Model 19 than he ever cared to. I think it's best if we leave the argument where it is and move on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

How many rounds does it take to bust that? I've got an older 19-4 that isn't cracked, wondering how many full loads it takes to destroy it?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’ve always heard the classic 125grn semi-jacketed .357mag round was the culprit on the M19 barrel split issue.
    My old 19 had a bazillion rounds thru it without an issue but I avoided that particular round as much as possible.
    Mostly I shot .38’s in it.
    Serious nuke’em from orbit monkey death car OMFGWTFOVERBBQ loads went thru the 28.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Keep your 19 free of lead build up and you should have no problem. I have a friend you put thousands of rounds thru a 19 with no problem. Switch to +P .38 specials if you are worried. A dirty gun and 125gr .357 s seems to be the culprit for a cracked cone.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    How many rounds does it take to bust that? I've got an older 19-4 that isn't cracked, wondering how many full loads it takes to destroy it?

It varies. I know several people who have shot magnums out of them for years without issues. Others have had them crack pretty quickly. I don't know why some last years or even decades and others don't. I hear about the older models cracking more than the newer ones. I don't know if it's just the fact that they're older and have been shot more, or if the metallurgy of the steel they use for the barrels was improved.

The hot 125gr loads will magnify the issue, but I have read first hand accounts of people who have shot nothing but cast 150-158gr loads in them and still had it crack.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom