Not open for further replies.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I always give both my license and CHL as a courtesy to the LEO; I want the officer and myself to feel safe, and if he goes to run my DL and see's I have a CHL and I didn't disclose it - regardless of the law, he will be apprehensive and likely ask me if I am carrying anyway. Regardless if I am or not I think its courteous to disclose that I have it and if I have a weapon on or within reach.

I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement, there are douchbags on the force for sure, but all in all I support them and treat them with my personal interpretation of respect and courtesy which has me disclosing without forcing them to ask me.
    best answer yet
    Venture Surplus ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I always give both my license and CHL as a courtesy to the LEO; I want the officer and myself to feel safe, and if he goes to run my DL and see's I have a CHL and I didn't disclose it - regardless of the law, he will be apprehensive and likely ask me if I am carrying anyway. Regardless if I am or not I think its courteous to disclose that I have it and if I have a weapon on or within reach.

I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement, there are douchbags on the force for sure, but all in all I support them and treat them with my personal interpretation of respect and courtesy which has me disclosing without forcing them to ask me.
    Nothing wrong with that. Leaving your gun in the vehicle might help too if your asked to step outside.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It is simple, IF you are carrying a handgun and a Peace Officer demands that you ID yourself, then you MUST display both your CHL and ID. That is regardless of the authority under which you carry.
    You know I disagree with you here. For me a rule with no penalty whatsoever ceases to be a rule. However, I now believe it is best to inform the LEO on a stop. Recent encounter with DPS "wind farm patrol" changed my position.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You know I disagree with you here. For me a rule with no penalty whatsoever ceases to be a rule. However, I now believe it is best to inform the LEO on a stop. Recent encounter with DPS "wind farm patrol" changed my position.

I agree, there is nothing an officer caan legally do; however, the rule remains. I tend to follow rules, especially when the seem to benefit me.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    For his safety? It's for his power trip. I would get out of the car for him, but I would be pissed if he ejected every round and put them in his pocket. What a tool.

He didn't even know how to lock the slide back on a gun that is basically a clone of his duty gun. Yet another reason to protect yourself.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    For his safety? **** him it's for his power trip. I would get oh of the car for him, but I would be pissed if he ejected every fucking round and put them in his pocket. What a tool.

He didn't even know how to lock the slide back on a gun that is basically a clone of his duty gun. Yet another reason to protect yourself.

couldn't agree more that this specific incident was with a douchebag and a process that I felt was unnecessary; but I will always disclose for both of our safety.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    For his safety? It's for his power trip. I would get out of the car for him, but I would be pissed if he ejected every round and put them in his pocket. What a tool.

couldn't agree more that this specific incident was with a douchebag and a process that I felt was unnecessary; but I will always disclose for both of our safety.

Disclousure is fine and dandy but unloading the mag is stupid.

4_9_7.gif

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Don't have a CHL, don't carry on my person, but I keep a loaded pistol and spare magazine in the center console.

Any time I've been pulled over I grab my insurance card before the officer approaches my car. I keep the license in my wallet and wait to get it out until he asks for it. That way I don't seem to be fidgeting in my car too much before he's approached me. I've never informed an officer I have a loaded weapon in the car, but I've also never been asked if I had any weapons. They have asked me about drugs once, but probably because I'd been smoking cigars that night and my car had a nice odor to it. That was a little hard to explain, luckily I had all the plastic cigar wrappers, my cutter, and my lighters and I produced all of them to his satisfaction.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    What's " wind farm patrol"? Do they have DPS patroling the Wind Turbins around Austin of somethin? I never seen them do that around here.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I just tell them to keep a 5 minute traffic stop from turning into a 30 minute traffic stop. Hence, I do have a Fla. CHL with a Texas address, a Tennessee DL and a car registered in TX. Which just screams "WTF?" to a LEO.

But I've still never had one do anything like that.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    What's " wind farm patrol"? Do they have DPS patroling the Wind Turbins around Austin of somethin? I never seen them do that around here.
    The huge wind farm out I-40. Drive NE from Austin until you get to the middle of nowhere, and then drive another hour or so.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Dang people???
    Am I the only one who can figure this stuff out?
    If your getting pulled over by the cops, put your gun in the console. By doing so, you dont have to show your CHL, go through all the SN. checking BS, you wont be disarmed, You wont have to tell them if you have a gun, You wont have to gather the disassemble pieces of your gun out of the bed of your pick up truck, ect.....

Get the idea now? Just because your getting pulled over doesnt mean you "have to" carry a gun. Put the damn gun in the console and aviod all the hassle. "No license required to carry a empty holster".
    That seems fine and dandy, but do you really want the officer who just pulled you over or is pulling you over to see you reaching into your console?
    That seems like a possible recipe for disaster to me!
    IMO: pull over, roll down the window, shut the engine off, and then just sit there with your hands on the top of the wheel until the officer walks up.
    And that's my personal preference. I'm with TI on the dubiousness of some of the advice on this forum.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Where our little friend screwed ths pooch AGAIN, is that this Government Code rule does not limit the requirement to show your CHL if asked by a peace officer to ID yourself to times when you are carrying under the authority of your CHL. It is simple, IF you are carrying a handgun and a Peace Officer demands that you ID yourself, then you MUST display both your CHL and ID. That is regardless of the authority under which you carry.

Do it without the condescending tone. It's not necessary.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    That seems fine and dandy, but do you really want the officer who just pulled you over or is pulling you over to see you reaching into your console?
    That seems like a possible recipe for disaster to me!
    IMO: pull over, roll down the window, shut the engine off, and then just sit there with your hands on the top of the wheel until the officer walks up.
    And that's my personal preference. I'm with TI on the dubiousness of some of the advice on this forum.

Actually, some of the people I know with CHL do that as soon as they get in the vehicle. The way they carry seems to cause them uncomfort while sitting in the car seat. A gun in the console is still accessible if you need it. If a cop ask's you to step out of the vehicle, it'll still be their when he's done with ya. I tried concealing a holstered 1911 while driving to the range one time, man I dont know how you guys put up with it. The seatbelt was all messed up, the gun was poking me, and it was simlpy a PITA. It took it off and put it in the console.
    I cant even stand having a wallet in my posket, much less a gun stuffed somewhere. The less I have on me, the happier I am. In the summer I work in my shop with nothin but shorts and boots on.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Actually, some of the people I know with CHL do that as soon as they get in the vehicle. The way they carry seems to cause them uncomfort while sitting in the car seat. A gun in the console is still accessible if you need it. If a cop ask's you to step out of the vehicle, it'll still be their when he's done with ya. I tried concealing a holstered 1911 while driving to the range one time, man I dont know how you guys put up with it. The seatbelt was all messed up, the gun was poking me, and it was simply a PITA. It took it off and put it in the console.
    I cant even stand having a wallet in my pocket, much less a gun stuffed somewhere. The less I have on me, the happier I am.
    Ah. That makes way more sense. And it sounds like your wallet is as stupid thick as mine!
    In the summer I work in my shop with nothin but shorts and boots on.
    ...coulda done without that image though.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Ah. That makes way more sense. And it sounds like your wallet is as stupid thick as mine!

...coulda done without that image though.

yea, its mostly full from all the other tickets I got. Gotta keep the payment copies in there too. Just in case some idiot didnt record it being payed, that happend a lot around here for a while.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    If a cop tells you to do it, guess what you options you got.

1) Do it.

2) Go to jail.

Most of life is stupid, but that's just how it is.

In this case the cop was the one that unloaded the mag. He put the rounds in his pocket. There comes a point where the cop's authoritarian actions are obviously no longer about "safety". If he asked him out of his car, what threat would a handgun in the console pose? Is it really necessary for him to go into the man's console and eject every round out of the mag? No, it really helped nothing and there was no reason to do it other than to flex his power at a "peon" citizen. This cocksucker should be fired.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom