• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    This morning, I get pulled over (rightly so) for my registration being expired last month.... I pulled over, turned off the car and put my keys on the dashboard, hands on the wheel.

When the officer comes to my window and asks for my license and insurance information. I told him that my wallet and insurance is in my center console, I have my CHL and there is a loaded handgun in the console as well. (it's a SA XD40)

He asked me to please get out of the car for his, and my saftey and asked if I minded if he went into the console to get the wallet, insurance card and gun. I wasn't in the mood to be a douche so I said sure.

He reaches in, grabs all 3 items, hands me wallet and insurance card. Removes my magazine, ejects the round in the chamber, removes every round from the magazine, puts them in his pocket, and locks the slide back (after trying 4 times before he realized without a magazine in it, he needs to push on the slide lock), walks back to his car and comes back empty handed.

we do the normal cop stuff and then its time to go. he tells me to get in my truck and that he will go back to his car. once i am in the truck he will come put the handgun in the bed of my truck. I was to wait for him to get back in his car and then go get the gun and get back in the truck.

then he would repeat the same process with the bullets.

then he would repeat the process with the magazine.

i have never had this much of a "process" when dealing with a LEO in the past, does this seem odd to any of you?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    He reaches in, grabs all 3 items, hands me wallet and insurance card. Removes my magazine, ejects the round in the chamber, removes every round from the magazine, puts them in his pocket, and locks the slide back (after trying 4 times before he realized without a magazine in it, he needs to push on the slide lock), walks back to his car and comes back empty handed.

we do the normal cop stuff and then its time to go. he tells me to get in my truck and that he will go back to his car. once i am in the truck he will come put the handgun in the bed of my truck. I was to wait for him to get back in his car and then go get the gun and get back in the truck.

Taking three trips to return your stuff was stupid. Lesson: keep your gun and your insurance in separate compartments.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Weird, but it was how he chose to do it. I had one SAPD officer take mine and place it in the trunk after he decided not to cite me. Closed the trunk and told me to wait for him and his FTO to leave before I retrieved my firearm.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is odd, and overdone IMO. I could understand if the CHL law had just passed and LEOs were used to "handgun in car = criminal", but it has been 15 years.........

I completely understand him not wanting you to get your license when it was right next to your handgun. Oh well, no harm done.

About 5 years ago when I lived in Wylie, I was stopped by a female officer for an expired inspection. It was in May, and I had JUST looked at it that morning from the drivers seat and noticed it displayed a "5". The officer explained why she stopped me and asked for my license and insurance. As we spoke she reminded me that the sticker was actually a "2". (I read it backwards from inside the car, lol) I handed her my DL and CHL and she asked where the pistol was. I told her and she asked me, "is it loaded". I grinned and said "yes ma'am, it is more effective that way" and kinda laughed. She smirked and nodded her head like, "duh". She ran me and sent me on my way, sans ticket.

Never have been disarmed....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of wrt to Texas CHLs.

If he was so scared you might shoot him he should have patted you down for more weapons.

I had some Constable clown take my gun from a console and almost shoot himself. Little did he know I also had two SMGs on back seat I was not required to tell him about. But he felt safer knowing he had my Glock. I felt safer knowing I still had loaded MP5 and Uzi.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    A gun "at rest" is a safe gun. Start messing with it, no matter what the intent, things can go very wrong. Most agencies agree and won't touch the gun as part of standard procedure.

Yes, pull the insurance at ready before he gets to the car.

I want to avoid at all costs the following.

LEO looking though the car.
    LEO handling my gun.
    LEO seeing what's in my trunk.
    LEO Pat down

I have some rabbit pellets\food in my trunk don't want them thinking it's weed for example.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

He was not even smart enough to give you the gun last, so if you had a spare magazine you quickly had a loaded gun while he ignorantly thought you still did not have a loadable gun.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    What a dumbass! He gave you the gun back first?? Most people have a extra magazine in the vehicle.
    Why wouldnt he just simply put all your stuff in the back of the truck and ask you to wait untill he leaves before you go get it?
    Looks like the guy is a little uptight about people having guns. I really hope he can overcome that problem.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Odd, as others have said. Oh well - at least you were agreeable and didn't provoke the situation. That's what's important when dealing with those guys.
    IMO, a clever officer might have humorously kidded with you about how you remember to load your weapon, but not renew your sticker.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom