MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Dang people???
    Am I the only one who can figure this stuff out?
    If your getting pulled over by the cops, put your gun in the console. By doing so, you dont have to show your CHL, go through all the SN. checking BS, you wont be disarmed, You wont have to tell them if you have a gun, You wont have to gather the disassemble pieces of your gun out of the bed of your pick up truck, ect.....

Get the idea now? Just because your getting pulled over doesnt mean you "have to" carry a gun. Put the damn gun in the console and aviod all the hassle. "No license required to carry a empty holster".

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Dang people???
    If your getting pulled over by the cops, put your gun in the console. By doing so, you dont have to show your CHL, go through all the SN. checking BS, you wont be disarmed, You wont have to tell them if you have a gun, You wont have to gather the disassemble pieces of your gun out of the bed of your pick up truck, ect.....

Get the idea now? Just because your getting pulled over doesnt mean you "have to" carry a gun. Put the damn gun in the console and aviod all the hassle. "No license required to carry a empty holster".

Is this a joke i'm missing??

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Dang people???

CHL holders no longer have to inform (technically, we are required to inform by administrative rule and there is absolutely no penalty for failing to do so).

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    I thought that IF you "carrying", you HAD to show CHL at the time the LEO ask for DL?? Is this an old rule and I'm just outdated?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I thought that IF you "carrying", you HAD to show CHL at the time the LEO ask for DL?? Is this an old rule and I'm just outdated?
    You'r only CHL'ing if the gun is on you. Put the gun in the console so you dont have to show your CHL card when you get out of the vehicle. " That way you can avoid all the unpleasantries".

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Yes.

More specifically, the rule remains but the penalty has been removed. It is now your choice whether to inform the Officer.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You'r only CHL'ing if the gun is on you. Put the gun in the console so you dont have to show your CHL card when you get out of the vehicle. " That way you can avoid all the unpleasantries".

Actually, in a vehicle you own or control you are never CHL'ing.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    GC §411.205.

DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY.

(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

On or "about". Wouldn't your console be considered about?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    GC §411.205.

DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY.

(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

On or "about". Wouldn't your console be considered about?
    Yes it would. However, there is no longer any penalty for violating this "rule".

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Some folks really need to stop giving advice regarding the law.... Bithabus, you are correct. You are not carrying under the authority of your CHL if you are carrying in your car. It matters not if it is on your person or in the console.

Where our little friend screwed ths pooch AGAIN, is that this Government Code rule does not limit the requirement to show your CHL if asked by a peace officer to ID yourself to times when you are carrying under the authority of your CHL. It is simple, IF you are carrying a handgun and a Peace Officer demands that you ID yourself, then you MUST display both your CHL and ID. That is regardless of the authority under which you carry.

If you are at home and carrying and a LEO comes to your house to take a report from you, when he asks for your name you MUST display your CHL and ID. If you are a armed security guard making a report to a cop and he asks for your name, even though you are OPEN CARRYING, you must show your CHL and ID.

The "unpleasantries" is when the LEO runs you and discovers you have a CHL, didn't tell him, and now wants to have a discussion about it.

Just show the damn CHL and be done with it. Really pretty simple.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Exactly, that's why handing the officer your DL and CHL isnt nesessary.
    If a person was to leave their firearm inside the vehicle out of sight, then the CHL issues we are discussing would not be a problem.
    Does a person feel it necessary to be armed during a traffic stop? If so, why?

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    I always give both my license and CHL as a courtesy to the LEO; I want the officer and myself to feel safe, and if he goes to run my DL and see's I have a CHL and I didn't disclose it - regardless of the law, he will be apprehensive and likely ask me if I am carrying anyway. Regardless if I am or not I think its courteous to disclose that I have it and if I have a weapon on or within reach.

I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement, there are douchbags on the force for sure, but all in all I support them and treat them with my personal interpretation of respect and courtesy which has me disclosing without forcing them to ask me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom