• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I never met Jack, but I knew him. We exchanged many long letters, telling the tales of our lives, and through his words I learned that he had more strength, and more courage, than anyone I've known.

He was injured badly in an accident a decade ago, deteriorated from there, always in severe pain, until finally he'd been confined to a hospital chair for the last 4 years. He was still declining when we first started our conversations - but he fought it. To heal, to hang on, and to enjoy life as much as he could, with his wife and two grown sons... and coming into TGT when he was able.

On March 23rd this year, Jack's oldest boy died suddenly - and that took everything out of him. On top of everything else, Jack just couldn't keep up the fight.. It's not that he quit, or gave up; he just couldn't do it anymore, he didn't have anything left.

Our long conversations stopped that day, I told him back then that I wasn't going anywhere and when he was ready we'd start up again. A week ago he wrote me a short note, gave me his number, but didn't tell me how bad things had become... I wrote him back but waited to call. Wish I had called then.

It was just by chance that I texted him today (for the first time) and Tabi (his wife) texted me back that Jack was in the hospital and they were arranging hospice. I called the number, she was there in the room with him, put the phone on speaker, and we all laughed and cried together. Seems with all the pain meds and everything else his body stopped accepting food and he'd lost 100 pounds since Connor died.

I haven't heard if he's still hanging on or not; and I know this is probably more than y'all wanted to know, and I'm sorry about that, and maybe some of you knew him better, and all of you knew him longer, but I wanted you to know he was a helluva man. To fight like that, for so long and so hard.

Peace to you Jack, my friend. You will be missed.

That's all, thanks for reading.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I never met Jack, but I knew him. We exchanged many long letters, telling the tales of our lives, and through his words I learned that he had more strength, and more courage, than anyone I've known.

He was injured badly in an accident a decade ago, deteriorated from there, always in severe pain, until finally he'd been confined to a hospital chair for the last 4 years. He was still declining when we first started our conversations - but he fought it. To heal, to hang on, and to enjoy life as much as he could, with his wife and two grown sons... and coming into TGT when he was able.

On March 23rd this year, Jack's oldest boy died suddenly - and that took everything out of him. On top of everything else, Jack just couldn't keep up the fight.. It's not that he quit, or gave up; he just couldn't do it anymore, he didn't have anything left.

Our long conversations stopped that day, I told him back then that I wasn't going anywhere and when he was ready we'd start up again. A week ago he wrote me a short note, gave me his number, but didn't tell me how bad things had become... I wrote him back but waited to call. Wish I had called then.

It was just by chance that I texted him today (for the first time) and Tabi (his wife) texted me back that Jack was in the hospital and they were arranging hospice. I called the number, she was there in the room with him, put the phone on speaker, and we all laughed and cried together. Seems with all the pain meds and everything else his body stopped accepting food and he'd lost 100 pounds since Connor died.

I haven't heard if he's still hanging on or not; and I know this is probably more than y'all wanted to know, and I'm sorry about that, and maybe some of you knew him better, and all of you knew him longer, but I wanted you to know he was a helluva man. To fight like that, for so long and so hard.

You are the definition of a true friend.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Jack is now at Harbor Hospice in Houston,11990 Kirby Dr, Bldg A, Room 12.

Tabitha (his wife) said he would love visitors, no need to call first, they are open 24/7.

If you're going, dont dally.
    well damn that's not good but thanks for the update

thank you for being there for him one thing jack ishared was a love for music

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    No matter how tough you are, there is only so much you can take. Sounds like he gave it a hell of shot. No shame there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    none at all jack called me a lot when i was bedridden from the stroke just to check on me and to cheer me up he truly is and was a wonderful and inspiring person it saddens me that i never got to meet him in person!

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX

Thank you

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

There just aren’t any words. @MountainGirl your post is really heartfelt, and sobering. This makes me very sad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I pray that it's quick.
    Whichever way GOD determines this should go.

Been there. Dad hung on too long.
    Call me what you want. Cold hearted, calloused old sumbeech, etc.....
    If it's time, dear Lord, thy will be done.
    Amen.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Some time ago, FNORD reached out to me via PM just to comment about how grateful he was that the two of us shared a similar sense of positivity. What a joy to share that connection, albeit electronically, yet wholly through us just being who we are. I'm grateful to have shared that connection thanks to TGT. I can only imagine the positive impact he has on others who knew him more closely. He and they will be in my prayers.

Top Bottom