• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Well, trying to get back into better shape. :weights:Doc has said my cholesterol and blood pressure are borderline but can be fixed with lifestyle changes. More exercise and better eating. Seems most places I read suggest fish at least 1-2 times per week. I have never liked seafood (grew up on the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay fishing and crabbing in my backyard and still wouldn't eat it.) Anyone have any suggestions to "convert" a non-seafood eater? Thinking maybe it could be an acquired taste if you start with less fishy fish or proper seasonings. I have read many things that say soak in milk for 30 minutes, dredge in breadcrumbs and drop into a fryer gets rid of the taste, but I am also trying to get away from fried stuff for the same reasons I am looking at eating fish.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Hurley's Gold

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My Gawd! Who doesn't love seafood! Sorry, I had to say that, I grew up a few blocks from the Pacific ocean and fish, octopus, clams, mussels, geoducks, crab: both Dungeness and Red Rock, Sea urchin roe, Sea Cucumber, squid, scallops, prawns, shrimp, lobster, (I'm salivating as I write this) and oysters were staple fare. Anyway, to your question: smoking is a great way to cook fish for people who aren't seafood lovers 'cause who doesn't love BBQ, right? Smoked Salmon is a delicious treat and easy to do, either cold-smoked or hot-smoked. I prefer cold-smoked Salmon but I recommend hot-smoked for you, it's less fishy tasting and a delicious glaze can be made from Soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic powder. Too bad you don't live near me, I'd do a feast for you that would change your mind forever about seafood!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Sorry, all the fish recipies I know do nothing to hide the taste of the fish in question...because I love fish. And crabs. And shrimp. And lobster. And...

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Growing up in Deep East Texas in the '70's I never had any seafood that wasn't just nasty. I don't like seafood to this day and hold my breath when I walk past the fish counter at the store. Fried Catfish is about the limit of my fish eatin' & that probably ain't anything like healthy.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    There's a little Chinese restuarant off Main Street in Vancouver that serves whole steamed fresh caught Rockfish with black-bean, garlic and ginger sauce. Sublime!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Soaking in milk overnight will definitely help to get some of the "fishy" taste out of just about any fish, but you might want to start off with a milder tasting fish like tilapia. A simple recipe is to sprinkle the fish with a seasoning like Tony's, drizzle it with lemon juice, top with a thin pat of margarine, wrap in foil but leave the top slightly open, and bake it in the oven or cook on the grill.

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    Blackened and seared tuna steak with some soy and wasabi on the side ... not fishy at all. Also try salmon burgers.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I may go by HEB's seafood section this evening to see what they have. I was told fresh is better than frozen when it comes to the fishy taste, so I will ask what they have fresh.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Fresh does have less fishy taste than frozen, and buttermilk will help with most strong tasting meats. If you know someone that fishes or like to fish, fresh Bluegills are about the mildest fish there is. Love them little things. Takes a few to make a srving but yhey sue are good.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    If fish smells or tastes "fishy" it is not fresh. HEB has a good selection, most of it was "flash frozen", meaning done on the boat when caught. Try rainbow trout, tilapia, or other mild fish, and experiment with sauces.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    As has been said, fresh is key to good fish. Salmon is good as being not as fishy. Tilapia and rainbow trout is very light flavored and picks up seasoning flavors real well. I also like red-drum, i personally think it is fairly mild.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    4fb68a286b42bd8a60978cc0d765db6c.jpg

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My wife was like you. However she has gotten to enjoy Salmon from HEB I bring home. All that I really use is salt, course ground pepper, fresh lemon juice and will cover that with dried onions which forms a crust on top of the fillet. I've even thrown some crushed red pepper on it occasionally. She's tried Tilapia and though I don't mind it, she found the texture not to her liking.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Market Street has a salmon meal sized portion on a cedar plank that is cook eating. We cook them on the grill and they come out perfect. Have some potato's on the side and a salad. If it helps any I have done the same in diet and made MAJOR improvements. I have lost 34 pounds in 8 months, BP is now perfect, chol is down to 122 and I have put on some good muscle mass.

Top Bottom