• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Crappie and smaller Whites (bass) are very good also. They are very easy to catch and don't have any fishy taste to them.

I am not sure if they are sold anywhere but fishing for them is fun.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Docs ... all depends how they were trained.

Substitute fish oil capsules for your daily fish intake, then eat all the chicken, pork, or beef you want.

Caveat: I am not a physician, dietitian, or a health care professional -- what worked for me might not work for you.

I lost 35 lbs over a two year period by eliminating refined sugar, corn syrup, and refined wheat flour from my diet. (No soft drinks, sweet tea, milk chocolate, fudge, white bread, etc.).

After twelve years, my weight barely fluctuates from 134 lbs., and I can still drink a few brews every evening.

Weight loss alone corrects most metabolic imbalances.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Cajun Courtbillion

3 lbs. fresh fish (catfish, snapper, tilapia, even shrimp)
    1 cup onions, chopped
    ½ cup celery, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large can tomato sauce
    1 medium can Rotel tomatoes
    2 medium bay leaves
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup cooking oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    Cut fish into bite size pieces. Season generously with salt, red and black pepper then set aside. (I use Tony Chachere's creole seasoning instead of salt and pepper.)

Using the flour and oil, prepare a roux to medium brown color. Add onions and celery. Cook over medium heat in uncovered pot until onions are barely soft, stirring constantly. Add tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, bay leaves, and water. Cook about 40 minutes to 1 hour. Add garlic and fish. Continue cooking over medium heat for about 25 minutes.

Serve in bowls with cooked long grain rice.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    As mentioned above there are healthy alternatives to fish and seafood. Chicken and turkey are a couple of the more readily available. In my home we try to eat relatively healthy, not like wheat grass and soy beans healthy but more along the lines of fresh vegetables, fruit, and lean meats. We stay away from proccessed foods, most things that come in a box, bag or can, those items are typically loaded with sodium, sugar, and all the good tasty stuff. Stay away from sugary drinks, avoid fried foods, substitute salty snacks, and go easy on the fatty meats. Fresh foods cost a little more and take longer to prepare but consider it an investment in yourself and your family. As far as seafood goes I concur with the above on being fresh and HEB has some great stuff as well as Central Market. Good luck to ya, hope you stick with it!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As mentioned above there are healthy alternatives to fish and seafood. Chicken and turkey are a couple of the more readily available. In my home we try to eat relatively healthy, not like wheat grass and soy beans healthy but more along the lines of fresh vegetables, fruit, and lean meats. We stay away from proccessed foods, most things that come in a box, bag or can, those items are typically loaded with sodium, sugar, and all the good tasty stuff. Stay away from sugary drinks, avoid fried foods, substitute salty snacks, and go easy on the fatty meats. Fresh foods cost a little more and take longer to prepare but consider it an investment in yourself and your family. As far as seafood goes I concur with the above on being fresh and HEB has some great stuff as well as Central Market. Good luck to ya, hope you stick with it!

Really hard to tell anymore:

The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease - WSJ.com

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/

Like my 90 year old Dad says: "Eat a little bit of everything, some of it will be good for you."

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Interesting articles, thanks for posting.
    Things are constantly changing, one day coffee is bad for you, the next it helps fight colon cancer. They used to say alcohol is bad, now it's ok in moderation and cleans your liver. so on and so forth....
    It comes down to us, we know what we should and shouldn't eat plain and simple. When your diet consist mainly of junk food your body turns mainly into junk. Your father's statement is dead on accurate, but I prefer to use the old guideline "you are what you eat".

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    We do try to eat healthy and my wife and I enjoy spending time in the kitchen cooking together. Lately, though, it has been a lot of eating at fast food places because of the kid's schedules at school, band and theater. Hopefully that will settle down soon and we can resume eating more at home. I know I have gained some more weight since eating more fast food. And I even try to get the smaller meals and many times just the sandwich and skip the fries.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Amen brother. When wifey mate and I got married, we made awesome, wholesome meals. Post children in their teenage years, with dance, gymnastics, band etc. It is harder than hell to stay away from those fast food places. Hang in there.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I hear ya, my wife and I have been guilty of that many times as well. Them burgers, tacos, and fried items sure are quick, easy, and oh so tasty. Its the convenience, cost, and availability that make fast food such a profitable business. When we have the option we try to shoot for a Subway or something similar. If not we'll hit the regulars but try and opt for grilled over fried, chicken over beef, and chips over fries. But man O' man is hard to pull up to a Whataburger and not order a big ole patty melt! Moderation is key...

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Went out today and decided to go the less adventurous route. Bought a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breast and pork chops. Planned to get some turkey, but Sam's didn't have any, so next time at HEB I'll get that. Bunch of veggies and fruits. And, fish oil pills. I got the Extra Strength Krill Oil pills that aren't supposed to leave you burping up fish after you take it. Hoping that helps. And I haven't had a Monster in 3 days now. I eyeball them everytime I open the fridge, but haven't got one. I figure if blood pressure is borderline high, Monster's probably aren't the best thing to drink. I have cut back to just water all day and 1 coke at night. No coffee or hot tea or anything in the morning.....

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    No Morning Coffee!!! Bummer... Starting off in the right direction, the longer you do it the easier it will become, I can attest to that. It just takes some time and determination to start out and hang with it. And it's not to terrible to enjoy a cheat meal as long as its in moderation and only once in a while, gotta reward yourself here and there, right.
    My wife and I did this - when we decided "hey let's do this and stick with it" we removed all the things in the house that were not in our best interest to consume. Mostly proccessed goods, if it comes from the store in a bag, box or can it's probably proccessed. As I mentioned earlier they are loaded with unGODly amounts of sugar, sodium, and other bad things I can't even pronounce let alone spell. This wasn't done over night mind you, as time and finances allowed we replaced sodas with water "I still drink cold beer", chips with trail mix, sugary and salty snacks with fresh fruit and raw veggies, fatty meats with lean meats and so on.
    It is a lifestyle change and it's a challenge especially with a full schedule to maintain but it's completely doable. Hang in there and stick with it!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    But back to fish, my wife also hates seafood. I love it.

Typically fried is out. But I will get away with making fish tacos. I'll use a white meat fish. Founder, rainbows, whiting or whatever. I'll take a green chile, like poblano, hatch or something like that. Roast it, peel the skin off, devain it, then I'll toss it in the blender with a smidge of olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest tequilla. Then I'll slather the goo, on the fish, then toss it on the grill.

Then I'll grill up some purple onions, buy some mexican queso fresca (a white crubly cheese), some fruity salsa or Mango pico de gallo and serve with beans and rice.

It's pretty healthy and not all that fishy.

Another thing I've done is grill a fish on the half shell, use salt, and a fajita rub. Then olive oil. She's eaten that a few times.

I'm with Karlac up there, I think it's all crap. and I eat too much of what I want to eat...

Top Bottom