• ...and so much more!
  • SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Ok, are Glocks poor quality for concealed carry during the summer or am I just a damn sweathog?

I carry between a Kimber K6S, Glock 19, and Glock 43. Each involves a kydex IWB holster, worn at 4 o'clock.

My safe is in a climate controlled environment and inside the safe is a renewable dehumidifier.

I made an apparent poor decision to remove the holstered gun from my waist and store in the safe without removing the gun from the holster.

As you can see in the images below, the glocks have rust spots on the slide. My Kimber has NO RUST whatsoever and I've done an equal amount of sweaty IWB carry.

Anyone else have this problem with Glocks? Are they just that cheaply finished? Such is my presumption considering the Kimber still looks great.

Tough lesson to learn and I won't take the risk any longer; however, still interested to know if my regret can be slightly mitigated by validating Glock finishes are cheap.
    94b5f65e1de9efc9a2cb98cea3435233.jpg
    19d35607b623b1a8d1babbc1b6bad84c.jpg
    99563172a0ada0e240c3a2657e08914d.jpg
    a2a734976934533c03ac4ad95ad2f8f2.jpg

ETA: Spelling

Last edited:

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Yes, Glocks are cheap. It's their engineering that makes them such reliable guns.

Having said that, small rust blooms are no big deal. A little 0000 steel wool and some CLP and you're GTG.

For a no-maintenance solution, you can spend the money and get your slide finished with some high-end nitride or cerakote or etc.

Oh, be sure to check the inside, too

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Honestly - any time I am outside and hot - IF my carry gun gets sweat on it that day... When I get home, I use Breakfree CLP on a patch. I wipe the outside down with it, and then wipe it off with an old cloth...

Someone did a test years ago on another forum, and Breakfree CLP was one of the best to prevent rust. It did a fantastic job.

ANY gun will rust. The finish on Glocks are pretty resistant. But, they are not using the same finish as they did back in the 1990s. I have heard that the new finish is not quite as durable.

But, since ANY gun will rust eventually... You should do some maintenance on it daily, and you would not have that problem that you are having... As for Froglube... That's been a topic for years on various gun forums. I wouldn't use it.

If you want a no mess finish with the lowest maintenance.... NP3 is the best. The main company stopped handling people's guns directly. But if you look around, there are 1 or 2 companies that will handle the gun for you and get the finish put on. CCR refinishing also does something similar - Ceraplate. It uses nickel along with other stuff that makes it REALLY rust resistant. ( http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/ )

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've carried a Glock daily in Kydex for literally decades and while you get rub Mark's where the Kydex hits like that I've never seen one rust. You just dont get salty sweat there.

Did you store it in a foam case by chance?

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    No foam and maybe the only difference is after removing from my waist, the firearm (in the kydex) went into the safe. I didn't wipe off any of the sweat and here we are.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blake86
    Top Bottom