• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tap&rack_TXinfidel

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Austin
    Love Eagle Peak,
    Been yelled at, deserved it. and I was shooting a 22. I don't go there for friendly, but after repeated trips where they have begun to recognize me over the years and have warmed a bit. There is a good reason for no FMJ. The rules are there for safety, both for the shooters and for the surrounding community. It is an open range and FMJ ammo can't be trusted to stay put. Shooting indoors, you can prevent those fmj rounds from escaping, outdoors, you can't and they are far more prone to ricochet. I've never shot FMJ ammo in my life, they don't offer it in my caliber, and all the really good rifle ammo is hollow point or softpoint anyway. A shooting range is no place for irresponsibility. If forcing responsibility onto some of their customers drives them somewhere else, good for the rest of us.... Just like your car and the inevitable mobile phone, a gun is not a weapon until your intent or carelessness make it one.
    Roland, the big range officer with the large boston voice, has been very helpful to myself and others that I've seen at the range. Yip, he'll yell at you if you screw up, that's his job. He's just trying to get your attention in an environment where everyone is wearing hearing protection and lives are at stake. Everyone is sorry when accidents happen. Sorry doesn't fix the kind of damage carelessness or irresponsibility with a gun does.

Love Eagle Peak,
    Good Shooting,
    DPSTX

With all do respect, I don't want to use "all the really good ammo" to hit paper. If a range restricts FMJ because it is unable to properly stop the munition at the end of the berm, guess what, Its probably not fucking built correctly. I actually had a great time last time I was there, but I will unlikely visit a range that has ammunition restriction again. Not all shooters are hunters, and when I go to the range, I am there to train. It is not very practical at a place that does not let me draw from concealment or fire more than 1 shot at a time. I understand occasionally there will be issues, but they should be addressed on an individual basis.
    ARJ Defense ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A lot of ranges have these restrictions. I'm not saying that they are right or wrong just that they have them. If your training You should Not be going to eagle peak as they have these restrictions that make training almost impossible. Just out of curiosity, how many ranges around here have you been to that let you draw from concealment? Or draw from anything for that matter? I know lone star will is there somewhere else?

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    A lot of ranges have these restrictions. I'm not saying that they are right or wrong just that they have them. If your training You should Not be going to eagle peak as they have these restrictions that make training almost impossible. Just out of curiosity, how many ranges around here have you been to that let you draw from concealment? Or draw from anything for that matter? I know lone star will is there somewhere else?

I used to use that individual bay at Bracken range in SA and do rapid fire and drawing from my duty rig, plus some walking forward and backwards.

I used to shoot at Eagle Peak and for pistols it was acceptable but I have quite a few rifles and not much softpoint ammo for them. Thousands of rounds in 5.56 and it all is FMJ. if you want to slowly punch targets at the pistol range then EP aint bad but for my purposes it fell short. Despite that, I wish them well. The more shootingnranges we have, the more the sport can flourish and people can get out there and practice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Good deal. I know about lonestar and I think best of the west but in this area those are the only 2 I know of that one could acutely train for something other than bench rest slow fire.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Here's two new ones the RO's laid on my wife during gurlz night out (she's a trouble maker for sure) either that or the RO just wanted to motorboat her taataas.

1) shooting at a backdrop with no target (don't ask me why she didn't have a target up) but who the eff cares if there's no "target" stapled onto the stand if the shooter is acting safety?
    2) shooting 357 FMJ pistol ammo out of a ranch rifle carbine on the rifle range. I'm fully aware Eagles Peak doesn't allow FMJ rifle rounds on the rifle range because they claim they "eat up their birm" but these were PISTOL cartridges !! The same cartridges they shoot at close range (5-7-10 yards) on the pistol range.

The ONLY reason I still support Eagles Peak is the price and proximity to my home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I took my girl there a while back. She's 8. Been there a few times in all.

For a range, it sucks. One shot a second really sucks. The old guy was kinda of an ass. But so is my ex-wife. Its normal to me. As for my girl, they were polite and never had a problem at all when I was teaching her to shoot. I did get some dirty looks when I policed my brass up. Which is normal considering they sell the free brass they get. At the time I was shooting nothing but FMJ(9, 40, 223). So either the rule changed after I left or I didn't know it was a no-no. I also found out that 9mm will shoot in a 40 Glock. The wife was shooting with me, loaded a mag and stuck one round of 9mm in with the 40. The recoil is lite and the round gos off track. But no kaboom.

The only thing Eagle pecker has going for it is: It's close to Hutto/RR/ Georgetown and it's $10 bucks a day. When I want to do some serious shooting, I go to Best of the West.

Bone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Hi, I'm a new guy to this forum, but I go to Eagle Peak every few weeks. There is one very rude range officer with a power trip. The rest are extremely friendly, and the (I assume) husband and wife team in the office are always really nice to me and my friends.

And, in fairness to the rude guy, I deserved to be yelled at for breaking their rule, although I didn't know it. I had finished shooting for the day, and had put all my firearms away in my range bag. I waited for the cease fire, went to collect my targets, and then grabbed my range bag on the way out. My error was leaving my range bag in front of the firing line, so I broke their "do not approach the bench during cease fire" rule. Now, I knew I was safe, but I can understand that all they saw was a young man approaching the bench and grabbing stuff.

Still, the guy yelled at me, then shook his head like I was dumb enough to look down the barrel after a hang-fire. And he muttered something when I went by. He seemed really excited to be able to exercise his authority, but I really don't let people with little-man syndrome wear me down.

The other range officers, especially the big older Texan and the younger fella, have both been very cool. Big Tex (that's not his name) even asked if I would help enforce the no-bench-approach rule as he went downrange to check something out. I was surprised he picked me (I'm still sort of a new face there), but was happy to oblige.

Top Bottom