• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    I went to the Eagle peak shooting range today for my CHL range qualification. The man and woman behind the counter were total assholes. The man was the most rude person I have ever ran across that dealt with customers. I will never go back to this place again.
    ARJ Defense ad

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I went to the Eagle peak shooting range today for my CHL range qualification. The man and woman behind the counter were total assholes. The man was the most rude person I have ever ran across that dealt with customers. I will never go back to this place again.

They had plenty of negative reviews on line when I qualified(CHL) out there a couple of years ago. Of course, that got me a 'membership' card but I have yet to return to shoot(dropped by a couple of times, but the 'vibe' didn't feel right). On the last visit, the older gentleman behind the counter was pleasant enough and the young dark-haired fellow offered to help a couple of times. Can't say I've experienced any direct 'jerkiness' on any visit.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    After holding our CHL class there yesterday, due to a schedule conflict with the private range we were going to use, expect to see a thread here about Eagle Peak very soon, probably from Alan when he wakes up. ;) The jerk behind the counter is the same one that nearly physically assaulted my CHL instructor several years ago. I can't say that I've interacted with hardly anyone else there, including the RSO's. This man represents that company, and he is completely unprofessional, irrational, etc. Eagle Peak, from this point on, is disallowed as an approved meeting place for TGT gatherings. Expect more on this soon.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I've never heard a good thing about Eagle Peak, but I've heard many stories like this.
    I think I will just learn the easy way, by hearing all you folks complain about the customer service.
    Just seems like a better idea than posting up that I spent X number of dollars to find out you were all right....

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Eagle Peak, from this point on, is disallowed as an approved meeting place for TGT gatherings. Expect more on this soon.
    Noted.

I will keep my negative comments about Eagle Peak to myself. I will however mention the positives, the range used to be very well maintained, that is all I can say.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    That is interesting. Aren't they somehow related to the Garland Public range? They kidn of have common websites that link to each other. I have only been to Garland, not Eagle Peak.

The people at Garland have always been very professional and very nice, unless you are the dumbass who left your gun loaded during a cease fire, etc. Then they can get borderline abusive, but I don't think thats a bad thing under most cases.

I can highly recommend Garland, especially for 100 yard rifle. Weird that a related range would be so bad.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I've ranted about them here before. Decent facilities- piss poor, rude, disrespectful, unreasonable and incompetent management. That's all I'm going to say for now.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    That is interesting. Aren't they somehow related to the Garland Public range? They kidn of have common websites that link to each other. I have only been to Garland, not Eagle Peak.

The people at Garland have always been very professional and very nice, unless you are the dumbass who left your gun loaded during a cease fire, etc. Then they can get borderline abusive, but I don't think thats a bad thing under most cases.

I can highly recommend Garland, especially for 100 yard rifle. Weird that a related range would be so bad.

same owner

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been there several times, but it's definitely not my favorite place to shoot. The guy that typically works the counter seems to always be in a shitty mood. I've never had an issue with their RO's, but I know they can get testy when you break their rules. Their rules are the main reason why I don't go there. It's been over a year since I've been, so they might have some different RO's now.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    same owner

Garland Public Range was just on Fox News. Apparently they are going to be sued by a group of homeowners, financed by the city of Rowlett. People move next to a gun range, then get upset when stray bullets find their way off range. Still no proof whatsoever that the bullets originated from the range however.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Well, I will say one thing, Garland has no overhead baffles like many other ranges which would prevent a moron from shooting at say a 45* angle over the berm.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I've never had a problem with anyone at Eagle Peak, they have rules, they enforce said rules, if you don't like or agree with the rules then don't go there! Yes the guy behind the counter isn't all warm and fuzzy... Big deal. I don't go there so they can hold my hand and sing me a lullaby, I go there to shoot.. I don't particularly care for there range rules, but when I need to break in a new gun, or just wanna go shoot at paper, or sight in a rifle it serves it's purpose. Everyone has their own reasons for liking or disliking a business, this is just my opinion of the place... I am in no way affiliated with them..

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I am kind of an eagle peak regular and have had the full range of experiences, both good and bad. On a busy weekend, the range seems well managed with a heavy influence on safety and following the rules. Personally, I am ok with that kind of scrutiny because I always see a couple of people "playing around" with their guns irresponsibly. Namely, the losery guys with 2 or 3 guns that bring 4 other people to shoot them. They always insist on giving some petite girl an AR or high caliber handgun just to watch them squirm as they shoot them. If you ask me, anyones first range lesson should be given at home, before you go out to the range and handle live firearms in a controlled setting. There is also no merit in equipping someone with more gun than they can handle just to watch them shoot a hole in the ceiling or have a gun fly out of their hand. When you have a pair of guns and 2 or 3 times as many people trying to shoot them, it is a recipe for disaster. I have been scolded myself for "rapid fire" there as well as failing to grab my target before I left the bench. Neither of which phased me. On the other hand, if you go on a monday or slow weekday, you'll have the place practically to yourself and a decent bunch of people to shoot with and talk guns with. Sorry to hear that they've been banned, I have personally seen more dangerous crap happen at Reds than out there.

TheJayMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Round Rock
    I've never had a bad experience at Eagle Peak. They may not be the friendliest folks but I pay my money and go shoot. It's not as if Red's North is friendly either. Their rules are pretty standard for many ranges, no rapid fire etc. And 10 bucks to shoot all day isn't a bad deal.

My pet peeve is as a CHL instructor. I have to pay an extra $10 for any student that doesn't have their range card and they also charge instructors $5. I never touch a gun, no less shoot, when I have a class there. They should be happy that the instructors are bringing in people and those people aren't staying or using the facilities for very long. They should let us run our qualification without charging the instructors. On the plus side, I had a class out there on Saturday to qualify. There was no wait and their CHL range is quite serviceable. We got in and out pretty quickly.

That's my two cents.

Jay

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have no problem with safety, and it being enforced. I'm actually very anal retentive when it comes to safety. What I have a problem with is a person representing a business that treats myself, my students, and my business partners in a completely unprofessional, rude, and unreasonable manner. The guy that works the counter, several years ago, nearly physically assaulted one of my CHL instructors, which is a good indicator of the poor attitude I'm referring to. This is completely unacceptable. If I were the business owner, this guy would have been fired years ago.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom